Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I dont understand....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Staysee, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

How people can knock down so many creatures? I mean yes i see more of it living out in the countryside but....

How can you NOT see a LARGE badger at the side of the road, they dont blend in....

How can you not see that gorgeous pheasant standing tall in the grass at the road and knowing how dim they can be alongroads not slow down and hit it instead?

Or do these people just not care, they see a creature coming out but just keep going cos its THIER right of way and BAM, another poor creature gone and hopefully it got killed outright!

Or are people just not vigilant looking at sides of the roads aswell as ahead, i know my dad is, he'll stop in the road if theres a creature [normally a pheasant] in the road, or slow down if its at the side cos of how unpredictable they are.

And if people arnt that vigilant, then should they be driving, cos maybe next time instead of someones family pet running across the road, it could be a child.

We had a cat knocked down just over 13 years ago now and it was the morning, sun was coming up, not long off leaving for school and he was a ginger tom, not exactly blending into the grey pavements and someone hit him....he was a large cat too, but someone hit him and drove off and we lost him. It was only cos my sisters friend was coming to meet my sister that we knew, cos she saw him laying in the road and so ran to tell us.

Im guessing not everyone has a conscious when it comes to knocking a creature down....im sure some are pure accidents, but im sure many many more could be avoided!

2. shells

shells PetForums VIP

it is verry sad that people either dont look properly or simply dont care :(

3. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Sometimes it is not possible to avoid something standing in the middle of the road.

I would avoid hitting anything in my car, but not if it put myself or others in danger, or risked me loosing control of my car.

It is also not always safe to slam your brakes on, just in case the animal/bird in question runs out in front of your car.

I would much prefer every driver to be concentrating on the road ahead rather than trying to spot animals/birds on the verges that may or maynot run out into traffic.

4. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

I did say its not always possible and some are accidents and i never said its ok to slam hard on your breaks....how can you not see something sat in the road like 10-15ft ahead of you, maybe 20ft and slow down as you approach instead of barroling through and hitting something

5. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

It's not always that easy. There are always loads of pheasants around us, and it's easy to see them and slow down for them if the roads are not busy. But I knocked one down a couple of months ago - I was doing 60mph on the A60; it was the evening rush hour, and there was traffic in front, behind, and on the other side of the road, all doing the same speed. The pheasant literally ran out straight in front of me and there was nothing I could do - even if I did have time to swerve or brake, it would have caused a pile up.

I sobbed all the way home.

6. danielled

danielled Guest

I have asked the same questions about whoever ran my Toby over.:(

7. JoinTheChase

JoinTheChase PetForums Junior

I would do anything to avoid hitting an animal, regardless of how small.

But some animals - cats in particular, dash out from hedges at a phenominal speed. My dad hit a cat once, and he adores animals. it was being chased by another cat and they literally ran out into the road without looking just as he was driving past. He was really shaken up about it. He stopped and found the owner though.

I'd never be able to just leave an animal if I'd hit it. That's heartless.

8. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

And like i said, some really are accidents cos not all cases can be avoided, but im sure many more can!

9. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

My ex swerved to avoid a pheasant that just strolled onto the road in front of our car, we crashed saving the pheasant - I injured my back and neck, my ex lied to the police and ambulance crew and we split up not long after -

Someone should teach these birds some road rules :(

10. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I agree with you.....some can well be avoided....but some can't.

Maybe all the ones you see are accidents......there's no way of knowing.

Also....as i'm sure we are all aware, there is a very big variation in the driving skills of people in charge of motor vehicles....the ones hitting these creatures probably didn't see them because they were writing a text, lighting a cigarette,or changing a CD (unfortunately the latter 2 are completely legal....) :rolleyes:

11. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

My dad dropped me at work late last summer, i started 7am and it was nice and light and warm, but what i didnt know was that as he was heading back into the village going home, he saw a cat at the side of the road, laid down, he slowed down and saw it had been hit.

So he pulled over and went to it, someone else pulled over from the other direction, my dad picked it up and with his cardy he wrapped it up and went to the two closest houses/farms and no one knew who's cat it was, took it to the vets and unfortunatly they had to put it down due to its injuries.

It was only a young cat too, such a shame!
    Even worse that someone just drove off leaving it there

12. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Accidents do happen and birds and animals are killed. I do think some people are a little more compassionate than others and do try and avoid them or make allowances where it is safe to do so ... While other people have scant regard for our wildlife :(

13. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Agreed on that one!

And very sorry it caused a break up for you

14. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

Really don't worry at all :D I went back a few months later to thank the pheasant but it was gone lol xxx

15. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

The majority of road-kills happen at night. If you're diving down a dark rural road at 60 MPH and an animal runs out on the road it is in an instant and it is dead before you have time to react.

Staysee do you drive?

16. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Have to agree that often they just appear and by the time you've seen it, it is just too late to avoid it, we have a lot of deer around here and they will just literally land in front of your car as they jump a hedge/verge and you always have to think and look hard for others as they normally travel in groups, plus you can drive down a country road at night looking at the verge as it's just not safe you have to keep your eyes on the road.

Also Badgers when they run can get up quite a speed they are not the slow lollopy creatures you think they would be, so you just just don't have time to react, plus the council never seem to collect roadkill like they used to so it's seems I think like there is more :(

17. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I only have one part of my drivers card so I have to drive with my dad or mom in the car. I have only had to once deal with cows. But I had been coming down a hill so had time see them ahead but if they had been coming up the hill me just coming over, yikes.

Once a HUGE turkey ran out infront of my mom and me. We barely saw it before it took off infact we cant really remember if it was a turkey. Just that all of sudden there was a large brown blob with a long neck in front of the car then it took off. My mom had no time to stop.

Ive heard that when something is suddenly on coming people tend to speed up before breaking :confused: Not sure if thats for all cases but I have experienced it when a friend fell asleep at the wheel. We hit the curb off the road going at a high speed instead of breaking my friend sped up.

If I ever hit something Id do my best to get it off the road and if it had an owner try and contact them.

18. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

When I was on my way to work many years ago (before I drove) I was waiting at the bus stop and saw a fox crossing the road, a lorry was coming down the road but had more than enough time/space to avoid it, instead he chose to steer into the fox, its was very obviously deliberate, the fox died in front of me and the lorry driver carried on obviously very happy with himself :mad:

19. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Nothing is legal if you are not in full control of your vehicle....even switching your wipers on.

Many animals run in front of cars leaving no time for avoiding action...be they cats,squirrels or badgers.The only one killed unecessarily to my mind is the slow moving hedgehog.
    As for pheasants...they are the thickest birds on the planet,and unlike most of the rest will run in front of the damn car...not away from it.

20. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I think most road kills, happen at night when drivers don't see them until they are right on top of them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice