Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i dont understand how this works...

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by sarasquares, Jan 23, 2008.

1. sarasquares

sarasquares PetForums Senior

i have been looking around for a chi stud for my girl and have come across adverts offering a 10 month old unproven pup at £300 a throw!!!

is it just me or is this odd?

i am not a breeder so i maybe am missing something here, is this normal practice in the dog world, whatever the breed?

previousley i was looking for a short haired chocolate chihuaha girl just to buy for myself and found that the price range went from about £800-£3000!!!!

have i got my head up my backside or something :D

2. Leanne1989

Leanne1989 PetForums Junior

yeah it is a bit of a nightmare with chihuahuas at the moment. Sill people charging silly prices im afraid!
    If you find a old time breeder who knows her/his stuff not only wil they be able to help you with your bitch's pregnancy ect but also alot haven't jumped on to the whole " paris hilton" lap dog phase!!
    Leanne xxx

3. Tina

Tina Guest

OMG 10 months poor thing hasn't even had time to grow up wish people would wait till at least 18 months to 2 years before they start breeding

4. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Sadly there are lot of people cashing in on fashion and peoples naivety.

Your best bet is to contact people properly in the breed by contacting the breed clubs., they can advise what is the usual price for a well bred puppy, and advise of what health issues you need to test for or be aware of to avoid in the lines.

Other than in club journals and canine publications reputable breeders do not advertise a dog at stud, other than to advertise his show success or that of his progeny, and if proven will say something like available to approved bitches.

The normal thing in the dogs world for potential and proven stud dog owners is to wait for bitch owners to ask to use the dog when they have seen and admired him, seen him consistently do well against his peers or his offspring doing well.

No-one would offer a dog at stud until it is mature, as you don't know until then how it will finish up. It could go oversize, mouth become faulty etc.

Here is the list of breed clubs

Breed Clubs and Societies

BRITISH CHIHUAHUA CLUB. Please contact the Kennel Club for further information
    CHIHUAHUA CLUB OF SCOTLAND. Sec. Mr G Baxter Tel No 01383 724368
    CHIHUAHUA CLUB OF WALES. Sec. Dr Curr. Tel No: 020 8743 4073
    MIDLAND CHIHUAHUA CLUB. Sec. Ms L Stacey. Tel No: 01773 713670
    NORTHERN COUNTIES CHIHUAHUA CLUB. Sec. Mrs C A Barlow. Tel No: 01524 752621
    SMOOTHCOAT CHIHUAHUA CLUB. Sec. Mrs Grant. Tel No: 0121 782 4273
    ULSTER CHIHUAHUA CLUB. Sec. Mrs W McDevitt. Tel No: 028 777 65191 or email: keenaughts@tesco.net
    WEST COUNTRY CHIHUAHUA CLUB. Sec. Mrs M Greening. Tel No: 01249 783522
    LONGCOAT CHIHUAHUA CLUB. Sec. Mrs Lee. Tel No: 01635 278510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice