Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I don't know why this happened?? What do you see...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Blackadder, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Scroll to 7 minutes, the first bit is meh.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the Owner didn't know why it happened!

#1 Blackadder, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Fed up of the other dogs barking perhaps? Seemed to be barking every time the camera showed it. It's one of Spens pet peeves and after a while he'd go after a dog who kept barking at him.

There were several times the bulldog didn't look comfortable to me around the other dogs to be honest.

kimthecat, Cleo38, Katalyst and 2 others like this.
  3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Too much standing around by the owners (oh i HATE these doggy parks - dogs seem to have no choice but to interact as there is simply bugger all for them to do. I prefer to keep dogs moving). WAAAYY too much play fighting.

Tbh, i wasnt happy with her constant going for the other dogs face in what was deemed as play tbh. I think the black dog was happy, Stella...not convinced myself.

kimthecat, cbcdesign and Burrowzig like this.
  4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I was thinking the same, not a happy dog.

5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

It looked to me like she got fed up of it, perhaps she wanted space and didn't appreciate the beagle staring at her and barking.

6. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I think the Bulldog was remarkably tolerant of that rough play from the black dog which seemed to go on forever! She gave lots of subtle hints she had had enough i.e going behind the owners legs, turning away etc. The Beagle was being rude with it's constant barking & IMO the Bulldog, after remaining so tolerant thus far just had had enough and wanted to correct the Beagle. In no way was that an attack or anything worthy of aggression, but she'd been pushed far enough and lost her patience.

Cleo38, Burrowzig, kittih and 3 others like this.
  7. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I agree. There was quite a few times she came back to her owner and the black dog kept coming back. So I think Stella was just getting wound up. And then the beagle just barked that once too often and Stella had had enough.

And slightly OT but ... I wish people wouldn't put that horrible bloody music on their videos.

8. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Pretty much as has been said. Stella looked ok with the play style of the black dog at first, but then got noticeably uncomfortable with it and the black dog wouldn't leave her be. She got barrell rolled a couple of times, which a lot of dogs don't find fun (Sara loves this style of play, she will roll and be rolled) and there were a few body shakes, ducks and avoidance body language that I saw...I'm sure other people would spot even more.
    I think it all got too much, and the barky beagle was the straw that broke the camel's back.

9. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I think Stella had just had enough, she looked tired and fed up, she went back to her owner repeatedly and looked like she just wanted space as she was going behind his legs and he just sent her back into the midst, and there was odd interaction earlier with one of the Beagles when it's tail was very high but doing a very small unsure tight wag, not sure if that was Beagle she went for but there was quite a lot of stiff posturing in the earlier greet if it was, but this is why I don't allow my dogs to play with others.

kimthecat and LinznMilly like this.
  10. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Stress stacking.
    The black dog was a lot to deal with, lots of shake offs and other signals showing she was not entirely enjoying the interactions. The bulldog went to her owners multiple times to ask for help, at one point even jumping up on them in a show of major insecurity about everything.
    By the time she lost it on the beagle she was like a bathtub full to the rim, didn't take much from the beagle to make the bathtub overflow.

lorilu, kimthecat, StormyThai and 5 others like this.
  11. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Just looked at it again, a case of bad ownership to me.

lorilu likes this.
  12. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I've just watched a few YT videos showing dog parks. Hmm.... not so sure they are a good idea.

13. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Am I the only one who thinks walking and talking into the phone like this plank, makes you (general you) look like a self-important bigot? Even the title of the vlog is sensationalist. :Yawn .

Didn't bother watching to the end. I got to about 8mins in and, by that time, she'd tried hiding behind her owner's legs and jumped up on him, while said owner continued to ignore her and put her back in amongst the group!! The ending, is sadly predictable at that point. :(

Jamesgoeswalkies and MontyMaude like this.
  14. leashedForLife

before we're 2-mins into the vlog [I watched from the 1st frame], she's intensely over-excited & jumping up on her owner, repeatedly biting & tugging violently on the leash, growling deeply, & grabbing at his hand/s, jacket / pants, & anything else within reach, while he says uselessly, "Stella! - Stella, NO... No!... Stella! - NO!..."
    Oh, that'll work. :rolleyes: "Shaking his finger at her" is a great way to be bitten, too - he's lucky to still have all 10 digits, if that's his general habit, & given the way he responds, i'd say it is.
    She's paying zero attn to his verbal corrections, & if anything,
    escalates in intensity. // Strikes me as an amazingly aggressive F, & how much of a 'pup' she might be is also a Q.
    She looks quite mature - at least 9, possibly 12-MO, not an under-6-MO puppy, but a young post-puberty adult.
    I'll watch the rest later - that's an initial impression, before they get into the pick-up to drive to the park.

Sairy and LinznMilly like this.
  15. kamikaze

kamikaze PetForums Member

The bulldog was pretty stressed out while playing with the black dog, there were so many times the black down went after Stella and she would whip around and kind of bark or lunge forward and then the black dog would run off to be chased but the bulldog wouldn't chase, she just turned quickly around and went back to her owners / the people. A couple times she actually went behind the people as a way to get away from the black dog with ears back and body language showing stress like walking low to the ground. The black dog was playing pretty rough and kept knocking into her and jumping clear over her. Then the beagle was just standing there and barking at her and I can imagine she just finally got fed up and took out her frustration and stress on the dog that was barking at her.

I think her and the black dog could have gotten along pretty well if it were just them and they were doing something more than just standing around in stressful environment with little stimulation.

I don't like dog parks at all. They're really popular in America. I used to like them and think they were great but they really aren't. The dogs have zero stim from anything other than each other and it gets really overwhelming for many dogs and you see the insecure behaviors from dogs that tower over other dogs and get all rigid (saw that a bit with the black dog when greeting the beagle) which is intimidating for a lot of other dogs, mine included.

Luckily I live in a very outdoorsy place in the US where there are plenty of hiking trails and open fields and forests and trees so Cosmo gets to stretch his legs regularly without being bothered by other dogs that are in his face, barking at him, and jumping all over him. Where he can chase birds and jump in streams and I don't have to worry about him getting over stimmed by random rude dogs.

16. kamikaze

kamikaze PetForums Member

Also the guy in the video who was chasing Stella down just going "STELLA. STELLA. STELLA. STELLA." was kind of annoying imho. Like put your phone down, stop recording, and get your dog out of there?

17. leashedForLife

side note:
    Stella has
    cr*p structure in the rear - starting about 4-min 30-secs, she's lunging forcefully toward the dog-park while her owner ineffectually repeats, "there's no one there, Stella..." :rolleyes: She's shoving forward in short repeated thrusts, using both hind legs as if they're a conjoined single limb.
    She pays absolutely no attn to his chatter - the nonstop narration only tends to make verbal cues into NOISE. Bad habit.
    added:
    At 6-mins 23-secs, she breaks into a run from a standing start, immediately after squatting to pee - she BUNNY HOPS to accelerate, confirming my early impression. :( Lousy rear.

LinznMilly likes this.
  18. leashedForLife

the leggy Lab-X is a somewhat obnoxious playmate, but Stella is far worse with her relentless attempts to grab his face or neck; he's constantly swinging his butt around to deflect her from grabbing his lips or throat, which has to be irritating, but he doesn't retaliate.
    He DOES jump on her, a few times, but it's nothing in comparison to her barrage of face-grabbing that goes on forever.
    The moment just before she charges toward & then after the fleeing Beagle-X is interesting - she stands butt on to her owner, getting scratched / scrubbed vigorously, & she's looking at the Beagle as he barks in an attn-seeking metronome rhythm, "Arh!... Arh!... Arh!..." , then she pauses, CLOSES HER MOUTH, & runs at him. Her hair hackles from her shoulders down her spine to her tail; the stub of her tail is jacked high, her ears are forward, & the Beagle is in no doubt that this is aggro, not play - he runs, bawling, with his tail tucked.
    I don't know what the trigger is or was; i do wonder if the vigorous "petting" might be part of it, just as some cats - usually males - get overexcited by petting, & attack the petter or the nearest person they are facing while being stroked. Such referred aggro is not uncommon.

19. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I thought that too.

20. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I went back and watched from the beginning too. When Stella starts tugging at the lead the owner tugs at the other end so obviously Stella gets the impression that it's all a game. The "No Stella" proves to be about as useful as a chocolate oven! There is a lot of hot air coming out of this chap's mouth unfortunately. "Stella wait" - carries on walking.

leashedForLife likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice