Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i dont know why im so upset

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CRL, Jun 9, 2017.

1. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

ive nearly finished my 2 year course at college. ive gone back as an adult learner, which is difficult enough. in previous education at gcse level and above i have always been told ive under achieved and have never got good grades. this has always made me feel that im not very clever.
    so when i went back to college to do this animal management course i said i would aim for merits, as that's what i thought my grades would average, to then be told by one teacher that i need to be getting straight distinctions. i didn't feel this was fair as i would be disappointed if i didn't get this grade. to my surprise i have done really well in the course getting a distinction overall last year, and on completing my course this year i am on target to receive a distinction star, which is the top grade and is extremely hard to achieve.
    we have just received an email telling us about our level 3 graduation. its not like the degree one where you have the hat and gown, but you dress up and receive a certificate at Winchester cathedral. im really proud of how i have done in this course. so i asked my parents if they wanted to go to my graduation as i thought they would be proud of me too, but all i got was 'ummmmm nah'. they are always telling me or insinuating that im stupid and cant do things. i always seem to get more praise from my boss, who ive known 3 months, than my parents. its really upset me that they dont even want to attend this graduation. its like they are not proud at all, they dont even congratulate me when i mention grades ive gotten for assignments and its made me feel like i stupid and worthless.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sorry this has happened. You've done really well and deserve their praise.

Have you got a friend or other family member who would support you?

Wiz201, Calvine, HarlequinCat and 2 others like this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

You have proven to yourself that you are not stupid and certainly not worthless. I can understand how your parents not reacting how you would like would upset you, but you really shouldn't be relying on others for your self esteem. You've done brilliantly so give yourself a slap on the back.

I know it would be hard, but try and tell your parents how they are making you feel

Wiz201, LinznMilly, Babyshoes and 4 others like this.
  4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry your parents are not being supportive, have you tried telling them how upset it makes you feel and how much you would appreciate them being there to show support and demonstrate their pride in your achievements. Perhaps they just don't realise how well you have done and how important their support would be to you.

Calvine and CRL like this.
  5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Makes absolute sense that you're upset. Sounds like your parents are behaving uncaringly and of course you are upset by that. The two people who should be proudest of you don't seem to care. Of course you are upset. Be good to yourself and give yourself the care you deserve :)

LinznMilly, Calvine, MiffyMoo and 2 others like this.
  6. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

Your achievements are amazing, congratulations. I am so sorry your parents' response was unsupportive. Shame on them for not recognising your ability and determination and celebrating it.
    Is there someone who knows your true worth who would be happy to go and support You?

Calvine, MiffyMoo, CRL and 2 others like this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I think you have done amazingly well . I'm sorry your parents are supportive , :(

8. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

If I could just make my response as simple as possible, You should and have every justifiable right to be proud of yourself. :Happy

You proved your parents wrong.

And like the majority of people, they probably don't like to be reminded of the fact. :Facepalm

Congratulations.:Snaphappy

Wiz201, LinznMilly, Matrod and 8 others like this.
  9. CRL

ive asked my friend dani if she can go with me. and my friends from the course will be there too. if she cant go then i might ask my great aunt and uncle. i just wanted my parents to give a s..t about what ive spent the last 2 years doing and be proud of me, but it seems to much to ask.

10. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I know it's hard, but try not to let their reaction diminish how big of an accomplishment this is. You've done really well and should be proud of yourself! That your parents can't/won't see that is their loss, not yours.

11. Franksthename

Franksthename PetForums Member

I can't understand your parents I was and still am 100% behind not only my own kids but also my wifes (it's my 2nd marriage) in everything they do I'm proud as punch of them all,I'm sorry your parents feel the way they do as said before give yourself a big pat on the back you've done very well

ForestWomble and CRL like this.
  12. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

You have done brilliantly well under a lot of pressure. You deserve all the accolades.

I'm an old lady and I'm going to share something I've learnt. The moment you've grown up is the moment when you don't need your parents to praise you anymore. When you realise that your parents are just people with their own issues and what they think doesn't mean a whole lot. Your self-esteem shouldn't be dependent on what they think. You have proved to the whole world that you are capable of doing whatever you want to do. And much more importantly, you've proved it to yourself. Hold on to that. Know yourself for what you are. You're an achiever.

13. ouesi

ouesi Guest

You may not need your parents' praise, but it's not too much to ask that your parents acknowledge your accomplishments.

Wiz201, LinznMilly, kittih and 3 others like this.
  14. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry about your parent's reaction. I'm afraid that I have found, through the years, that sometimes family feel that they can treat us in such a thoughtless way that they would never dream of treating their friends.

I really hope that your great aunt and uncle can come and help you celebrate such an amazing achievement

LinznMilly, Calvine and CRL like this.
  15. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

Well done! I think that you are a strong, smart person and if your parents dont support you enough, it is their loss. You have a right to feel upset, but in the end, just be happy for your achievement. It is yours alone and no one can ever take that away from you. You really did very well! We can have a party night here too to celebrate your achievement :D

16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

That is a really fantastic achievement and remember it's something that no-one can ever take away from you; and it sounds as tho' you did it without much encouragement from your parents. What makes it really sad is that you got such a good result. My parents went to my Degree Day, tho' I don't ever recall them congratulating me; in fact I don't think they did. Could it be that your parents are not interested in education; when I think of my brother, his kids were never encouraged to make anything of themselves, to aim for anything, to develop any talents they might have. Not one of them did anything after they left school. I always knew that mine would go on and do something. My brother never did anything after he left school; most of the time he's not even worked and I rather thought my parents weren't bothered if I did as they thought he might be resentful; and he was (despite having the same chance that I did).
    Anyway, you've done really amazingly well, be proud of yourself. I take it you've done this while you were working too?

MiffyMoo and CRL like this.
  17. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

One of our proudest moments was watching our daughter receive her degree. Our son though has never been a scholar and left school with poor exams results, we've tried to encourage him to try college courses, but his school experiences has left him with a dislike of learning. However he seems to manage and although has had a lot of different jobs is rarely out of work for long. With both of them we have always praised and supported them as much as possible, it's part of our job as parents.
    I'm so sorry your parents have not been more supportive of you especially as you have done so well on your course. I hope you aunt and uncle will be able to support you on your graduation day. Do you have grandparents, what was their response?

18. CRL

yes im working at the same time as full time college, around 16-20 hours a week. i will be doing the same for the next 3 years as ive gotten the grades i need to get into uni, which i didnt do last time i was at college.

MrsZee, kittih, Michebe and 2 others like this.
  19. CRL

i only have 1 nan, but she has dementia, so dosent remember that i go to college. i will ask my aunt and uncle if my friend dani cant go.
    im the first in my immediate family to go to college in 2004, and the first to go to uni.

MrsZee, ouesi, Siskin and 1 other person like this.
  20. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

That's an even bigger achievement! You have such an exciting road ahead of you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice