Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I don't know whether to cry or scream

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PembrokeMadhouse, May 11, 2010.

1. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

My blasted tenants haven't paid their rent - yet again. I don't rent it for profit, I rent it cos I couldn't sell it at the time. I have not got rent insurance guarantee because I couldn't stretch to that at the time - as they were not paying rent ... the agents are useless ... the house is 500 miles away, they are not answering phones, letters or the door (the estate agent has been roudn an knocked) ....

I am in sh*t street without a paddle and I don't know where to turn. Now I have to work my ass off to try and earn an extra 600 quid a month just to stop everything going tits up ....

Like I said - I don't know what to do - sorry - needed to rant !:mad:

2. borderer

borderer Guest

get the heavy boys in:thumbup:

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If you haven't had rent and contact in a certain amount of time you are allowed to change the locks. Well, you are here anyway.
    That way they have to contact you to get in then you can make them pay.

4. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

i know that if i dont pay my landlord i ave 21 days and then i am basically told to bugger off and they will keep the deposit....... i must admit i have never missed a payment i have had late payments due to the bank.....

im not sure what the rules are properly but i would get someone to go down change the locks and tell them they can enter your premissis when they have coughed up the cash.

Hope things pick up xx

*Kara*

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Serve them their notice.

Though it does look like they're going to call squatters rights :(

6. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Isn't Squatters Rights where they live there for a certain amount of time without any correspondence of the person who owns the place so therefore they own it after a while. If a notice for rent is being issued then they can't claim squatters rights otherwise everyone would do it!

I'd look into changing the locks..... £600 a month is a lot! How cheeky is that.. not paying? They don't take into consideration that landlords need that money.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'm not sure how it works to be honest because I've never done it :lol:

8. thedeans

thedeans PetForums Senior

DO NOT - DO NOT change the locks - if you do they can claim for harrassment and in court of law they would win and be given squatters rights

You will have to speak to a solicitor and get them to give them official notice, after this time has lapsed the law is on your side and the courts will send round a baliff on your behalf to enforce the eviction

However if you interfere during the notice time - you will have to start all over again

You really need to seek good legal advice - try CAB as a first port of call

Also I'd change estate agents next time

9. Nickyglow

Nickyglow PetForums Senior

Blimey I do feel for you.

We have a property which we rent out and its about 300 miles away. Fingers crossed everything is okay so far (apart from tenant requesting us to do the most silliest things to teh property) but if we where ever in the same position as you then we would be stuck big time.

Do you have a managed contract with your agent? If so they should be liable for not collecting the rent properly or even vetting your tenant. You do need to act fast on this as if time lapses then the tenants have more right to stay in the property. A property solicitor is the best lace to go to and they do free half hour meetings as a start.

10. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

well I spoke to the tenant - got the phone number from the agent ! They will pay on Friday - we had a long chat about keeping me informed, so you never know it either went in, or it didn't .... so I won't hold my breath, but we will wait and see. To me the roof over my head is most important, it is the first bill I pay.... why don't others see it that way.

Thanks for the advice x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice