Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I dont know what to do!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Gsdmum, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Gsdmum

Gsdmum PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice or just to see if anyone else has this problem.
    This is a long one, sorry.
    I have 7 month old GSD. Shes very smart, sometimes goofy and I love her to pieces. Recently she has started chewing at me like a dog possessed. I don't think it's aggression although I could be wrong. We will be playing or I could just be sitting on the couch and she will just drop the toy jump all over me nipping at my arms, shoulders hands, grabbing my whole arm in her mouth and its getting painful at times. I've tried the yelping it just seems to spur her on. I've walked out the room til she calms down and entered again and if she does it again straight back out. Usually if I give the sit command she does with no hesitation but during this frenzy she listens to nothing, i say no, I tell her to sit, ive tried to redirect her attention elsewhere and she just keeps going at me. She doesn't do this with my partner. If he tells her no she stops, if he says down, or sit she listens it just seems to be with me. I know it sounds silly but I feel like she doesn't like me sometimes even though she follows me everywhere, she's always by my side. I'm the one who feeds her most of the time due to our work routine, i walk her more often, i did the majority of her training but it's like somethings switched in her and I don't know what i did wrong. Im on the waiting list for 2 behaviour trainers, I'm just not sure what to do until then. She was at it about half an hour ago. We were playing with a stuffed animal that I hide on me and she has to sniff and find it then when she finds it we play fetch with it, but as usual she just drops the toy and goes for me, tried everything again, I ended up locking myself in the bathroom to cry. I know it sounds stupid but it's really upsetting me. She was crying at he bathroom door and as I opened it she came in and smothered me with kisses and as I type this she is laying cuddled at my feet. Jekyl and Hyde springs to mind lol. Has anyone else had something like this happen? I'm obviously doing something wrong, I just need help to help her to stop.

Sorry for the long winded story.

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Does your partner play with her? I’m thinking that hiding toys about your person isn’t really teaching her any respect for your space. And maybe she just views you as a playmate?

I would up the training anyway; you don’t necessarily have to teach anything new (although that would be nice) but make it habitual that she looks to you for commands and rewards.

If you can teach her an ‘off’ command then that would help too, I think.

Burrowzig and Twiggy like this.
  3. Gsdmum

Gsdmum PetForums Newbie

Yeah he plays with her as well, fetch tug-a-war. Light wrestling (would actually call it wrestling just don't know what else to call it lol)

Thats a good point. I've never thought about the personal boundary thing before with hiding the toy. I just thought of it being a kind of mental stimulating game for her.

Thanks!

4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I expect it's when she's getting over excited/over aroused? Also is there a time of day that she does it? If it's in the evening it may well be that she's overtired. At 7 months she's turning from a puppy into an adolescent, and those hormones aren't always conducive to good behaviour!
    When you see that glint in her eye, like she's about to start being silly, grab yourself something that she can chew on that she really likes, like a pizzle, fish stick, stuffed Kong or even just a handful of dry food you can chuck on the floor to distract her. Give her the calming chew and pop her in her crate/other room/ bed etc and get her to calm down. Or you can grab some treats and do a quick bit of training to tire her brain out then get her to settle.
    It's becoming a learned behaviour that will continue as she gets what she wants - your attention and a game! If you give her neither then this will break the cycle. The more she does it the better she will get at it!
    Ideally you need to stop whatever seems to be winding her up, find a pattern and the precursors including her little behaviours that signal she's about to do it, pre-empt her and get her to do something more productive.

Sairy, Burrowzig, LittleMow and 4 others like this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Hiding the toy is a great game, but hide it somewhere else like behind the cushions on another chair (in the hand pocket of the oven gloves is a good one), and put her out of the room when you're hiding it so it's more of a challenge. Then you can add in directional clues (up, back, left, right) and I use suh-suh when the dog is close to the target.
    Your partner doing the wrestling game won't be helping the situation.

LittleMow, Sairy, Ian246 and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice