Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by vivien, Sep 10, 2013.

1. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Simba came in from the garden retching I think he either had a piece of grass in his throat or its scratched his throat. I made an appointment with the vet but could only get one for three this afternoon :mad:. In the meantime Simba has tried to go to the toilet in the tray and only passed a tiny blade of grass, then he went upstairs and pooped on Taz's bed there was grass in it , now he has come down and had food and is totally relaxed. I am keeping the vets appointment just to be sure. My other problem is this is the second time Simba has gone on Taz's bed she has a duvet as she doesn't like conventional dog beds and used to pull our duvet off the bed. I threw the last duvet away and bought a new one and put a waterproof duvet protector on so at least this time I could just pull the cover off and throw it in the machine. I have no idea how to stop Simba doing this and I don't know why he is doing it. Any ideas? At the moment I have shut all bedroom doors. Thank you in advance.

Viv xx

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

It could be that because he didn't poop/found it painful when he went in the tray that he decided to go somewhere "softer" can you remember whether the last time he did this there was any problem involving toileting.I know you have a tray outside for the boys but how many do you have indoors,with 4 boys you will need a few I would think.As for the appointment I would certainly not cancel it just yet wait until lunchtime at least and re-assess then hope Simba has solved his problem himself ;)

3. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

The last time Simba did this was Friday, when he was shut out the passage which gave all boys access to the upstairs and bedrooms and the girls had downstairs I have 4 trays but mostly they use the garden which I clean twice a day and every time I see someone using it. But if he is going to do this I will have to keep the bedrooms closed and I hate that. Simba has just eaten again and he had no discomfort, I am wondering if maybe he couldn't go to the loo and it was causing some sort of reflux reaction. I will watch him closely and reassess him from there because if he has cleared whatever it was they won't be able to do anything for him.

Viv xx

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Could have been that or the blade of grass was triggering the "need to go" and he couldn't pass it so when he needed again he went somewhere different.
    Looks like there may have been a reason(in Simba's mind)for him to poop somewhere other than the tray on Friday,cats are odd souls with their toilet habits.If this is only the second time he has done this I would just monitor the situation if you don't want to close the doors to the bedrooms.

5. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I think Simba has just solved the problem himself. He has just bought up a long blade of grass and has stopped retching thank goodness I will give it an hour or so and if he seems ok cancell the vet so if someone else needs it they can have it. I am just relieved he has stopped reciting he has even as I am typing picked up one of his boinks and is batting it so he must feel better :) god I have been so worried.

Viv xx

6. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Hi Vivien, glad Simba is a little better now.
    Do you have a litter tray upstairs? Could it be he was caught out and felt he couldn`t make it to a litter tray so done it where he has done it before?
    Keep us informed :D

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Excellent news,hope that's it sorted :thumbsup:

That makes a lot of sense ;)

8. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I think it might be just that...
    I had the same problem when my girls Steffie and Precious were getting older and a bit arthritic. We have a drive-in house: garage and garden room on the ground floor, living room and kitchen on the first floor and bedrooms and bathroom on the second floor.

When the girls were in the living room or bedroom, they would sometimes not be able to reach the litter trays, which, originally, were only on the ground floor, in time. So, first, I put another tray in the kitchen, and in the end another one in the hall upstairs. We never had any accidents since.

When the old girls had died, I removed the upstairs and kitchen trays, but once, when one of them had diarrhea, he pooped in the hall upstairs, and again in the bathroom. So I moved in the extra trays again, and had no problems since (except for Josje's inappropriate weeing whenever she develops a sterile (stress-related) cyctitis).

I think your boy's pooping may be a mixture of being caught out and feeling stressed at his discomfort. Once they start associating the litter tray with stress or pain, they will seek another place to go.

#8 Jiskefet, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  9. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Yes he went upstairs after trying in the downstairs tray he is loads better I have cancelled my appointment on proviso that if I need one later they will give me one they said yes so I cancelled. He is playing and eating loads now and none of the retching :)

Viv xx

10. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you jiskafet :) he is a lot better now hopefully he will go back to normal. Poor Taz can't understand why her bed crinkles now bless her. But better that than buying duvets when Simba has an accident. :)

Viv xx

11. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Yes it does make a lot of sense. It was horrible watching him retch though. :(

Viv xx

12. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I am seriously considering having someone make my a double glazed unit with a cat flap. As that is the only way out for them through the back door, the only thing putting me off is I feel the cold and I would imagine they could be drafty

Viv xx

13. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Poor Simba :( so pleased to hear he's feeling a bit better :) xx

14. Cats cats cats

Cats cats cats PetForums VIP

I have a cat flap in my glass back door. You can feel a draught if you put your hand right up to it but that's all, I don't think it's noticeable otherwise :)

15. jltaylor

jltaylor PetForums Senior

I also have a cat flap in my glass French doors in my lounge. Its a microchip one so locked unless someone wants to come in so doesn't flap in the wind.

16. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you for the info :thumbup1: I will look into this now :)

Viv xx

17. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you this sounds like a good idea :thumbup1: :) will definatly look into it now

Viv xx

18. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you Sarah Simba has had a game and is now asleep in the garden :)

Viv xx

19. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Glad Simba seems to have fixed himself :D

We have a dog flap in our back door & the only time there is a draft is if a dog is standing looking out to see if it is raining :rolleyes: or a red MC is practising his boxing :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato:

#19 Dally Banjo, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  20. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I have bought some feliway and sprayed Taz's bed in feliway to see if he leaves her bed alone now. Fingers crossed.

Viv xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice