Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I don't know if this is possible but...

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by catloveralicia, May 10, 2010.

1. catloveralicia

catloveralicia PetForums Member

I have a 1 year old male cat named Pebbles who constantly jumps up onto worktops and tables and will eat any food. He gets fed 3 times a day as well as a treat every now and then like chicken if we have any leftover. I'm worried it will affect his health, I went downstairs this afternoon to find Pebbles eating a donut, and I just think him getting all this food can't be good for him. I have a training clicker for dogs and I was wondering if it would be possible to try it with him, or do you think this wouldn't work? I know it sounds a bit daft but I'm trying to train him to get down when told to, or if possible to stay down. I've tried spraying him with water when he gets up but it doesn't make a difference and he actually seems to like it :confused1: I've taken him to the vets and there isn't anything wrong with him now (he was constipated but it's all been sorted now) So I think he's just greedy. He also meows a lot for attention and it's really starting to annoy my parents, so I was wondering if there was anyway I could train him to stop climbing up?

2. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I wouldn't leave anything out he could ever eat from the worktops. I have always had cats and think they are sometimes chancers, so it isn't worth the risk. Always cover it, put it in a box/fridge/cupboard and make sure there isn't a bin they can open or tip over.
    You could stop the cat from going in the kitchen when you are not home, if this is possible by closing the door. Sometimes this will make them want to be in there even more, but if there isnothing to eat, he won't keep going back and will of course get bored of it?
    We got into the habit of clearing and rinsing plates and putting food away immediately after our old cat would forage for it all from the worktops.
    I used to immediately remove them from the kitchen and put them far away from me and ignore them if they did it, and then close the door. They then stopped doing it while I was at home, and if they did it while I was out, well they wouldn't have got any food!

3. catloveralicia

Thank you. I don't think I could shut him out of the kitchen because the cat flap is in the kitchen to outside and I wouldn't like him to be shut in whilst we were out. We've tried shutting him out of the kitchen a few times before (because we had dogs staying for a week a while ago) and they were in the kitchen but he just sat by the door meowing really loudly and my parents just get annoyed. I try asking them to try and ignore him and he'd eventually quieten down and give up but they still get annoyed so I end up taking him up to my room or something just to stop him annoying them.

4. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I think you are just going to have to be really super careful about what you leave out so that he gets bored, never gets any food by doing it, so gives up. You could buy like a bread bin to put things into that the cat can't access

Don't let the cat eat off your plates
    I would try not to give titbits or treats at a time when you are eating as well.
    If you give leftovers, make sure its healthy stuff (ie cat suitable) and not during your mealtime as well.
    My cat used to sit under the table watching my kids eating and eat anything they dropped. This makes them greedy.

If he is crying for attention then maybe he needs something to entertain him while you are not there to give him affection. He might be a bit bored and lonely. Some animals can be destructive when they get like this, and some like being annoyingly noisy. Its a shame your parents find him irritating, he maybe doesn't understand this and wants their attention. The dogs being in the house have probably really unsettled him.

How about one of those balls that rolls around the floor that gives out treats (ie dry cat food), the cat can work out how to get the food out and gets some entertainment

5. catloveralicia

Ok, thank you, I'll get a treat ball for him. He's got a few little toy balls which he rolls around the floor for a little while and a sort of roll-along scratching post toy which he rolls around the floor or a while too but then he gives up on them. I also got him a 3-prong tunnel but he got bored of that. I'll get all of his toys out again tonight and try and get him to play with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice