Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I don’t run/eat healthily thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by reallyshouldnotwearjods, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Still by far the best cheese puffs are the Lidl ones....mmmmmm....I can eat a giant bag on my own in one sitting :)

(I'm not sure I should smile about that but it's true!)

Lurcherlad and Jaf like this.
  2. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Ohhh for me Carrefour are the best. Magic. But I only go about every 3 or 4 months (it’s near the cinema) and I haven’t gone this year. I get 2 bags but they don’t last 2 days!

I loathe Lidl, I feel so trapped. But I might be tempted back for good cheesy puffs.

3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Lidl over here is a real junk shop but if you can stand it does have some interesting goodies to eat.

I absolutely LOVE Cora which bought out Carrefour and used to shop there before I came to Hungary. We had a Cora here until 4 years ago before it was sold to Auchan which is French family owned business and until the lock down used to shop there regularly.

4. Mrtoad

Mrtoad PetForums Member

I gorge myself on French brie on and off....its healthy in small amounts ..I usually eat the triangular portion in a half hour, with a decent chunk of stilton.
    Both taken with green stuffed olives done in olive oil, cumin and garlic dressing which I do myself

It's cheaper that way

Recovery takes about a week on small bier.

Lurcherlad and Magyarmum like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

This was Sunday dinner this past Sunday. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Babyshoes and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Mrs Funkin

Oooh @lorilu what are Kellogg’s Pops? My husband loves cereal (he’s like Seinfeld, heh!), so whenever we are away he loves to try all kinds, so we’ve had Lucky Charms in the States, we have Frosted Flakes here (but they are called Frosties) but Pops are new to me :) He’d love your dinner!

lorilu likes this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Sugar coated puffed corn. Back in the day (1970s) they were called Kellogs Sugar Pops but of course that name went out of style when sugar became a bad thing.

I saw the "bowls" at the store and couldn't resist grabbing them. Usually I only eat cheerios but this was a way for me to indulge my sugar cereal craving without eating a whole box all at once. :D

8. Mrs Funkin

Ahhh, nice. We used to have sugar coated puffed rice (which were called Ricicles and were my favourite!). They were discontinued a few years back due to the anti-sugar brigade. Still annoys me now!

9. Mrtoad

Mrtoad PetForums Member

I was born in 1943 and lived the states from 1947, and then sugar was king in cereal world.
    Frosties come to mind... I eat a cocktail of 4 cereals now
    Shreddies, Alpen original, nuts, Kellogg's crunchy nut ..in layers

Salt and sugar reductions give a lot of bland tasting old favourites
    Heinz beans
    Jacobs cream crackers
    Even KP salted peanuts lack something

Could it be due to the Covid 19 effect?

10. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I was a little amazed when I was in hospital how salty all the food was, my initial thoughts were that this was due to the food being not so good and the salt was there to buck it up a bit. Apparently not. We were told that we needed plenty of salt as we were encouraged to drink so much water we were flushing the body salts away and needed added salt to keep us well and continue recovery. One lady had to add even more salt as her blood results showed not enough salt in her system.
    Over the years I’ve got so used to less salt in everything that I was finding the food awful as it was so salty.

Lurcherlad and Mrtoad like this.
  11. Mrtoad

Mrtoad PetForums Member

that is something i can relate to, thanks...
    ever hear of salt tablets...if you sweat a lot and dont take them...you get listless and weary...

there must be a balance here i think...

ps...bread too has become dry and cardboardy...i remember when a slice of bread butter and jam was a treat...

i guess its a fact that if you dont take your daily recommended amount of salt and sugar say...and you have had enough to eat...are you losing out a bit...

getting weight down is more than food control....ie more exercise

cheers
    Toady

12. Mrs Funkin

I'd have eaten it for you @Siskin - I'm from a long line of salt addicts! I can't stand how little salt is in food now - and as for going to a restaurant and their butter being unsalted *pppffttt* ;)

lorilu and Siskin like this.
  13. Mrtoad

Mrtoad PetForums Member

Long live Lurpak spreadable with salt...nearest i can get so far to the real thing

any other suggestions...toast is better with butter!...ask marmaladeov

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

god, I miss cheesey crisps.:( Well, anything cheese flavoured really.:Shy

Alot of the time I think your body knows what it needs though. Ive been drinking gallons of water in this hot weather and really craving salty foods at the same time. (course that doesnt explain the cravings for Ben & Jerry's tho!):Hilarious

lorilu, Lurcherlad and Siskin like this.
  15. Siskin

I always have a craving for Ben and Jerry’s, I’m sure I read somewhere that it’s good for you.:D

I must admit despite getting used to reduced salt, I do find some things have so little salt now that I feel the need to add some. Chips need salt and so does chicken for my tastes.

Mrtoad likes this.
  16. Mrtoad

Mrtoad PetForums Member

I added salt to my captain birdseye frozen cod fillets in batter as even they tasted non hippie taste out of the oven.

I could taste the salt as it just laid on the surface .
    I guess the salt should be cooked into the batter
    ?

17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

D701DEAC-2E09-429D-9AA1-D2332EE9E176.jpeg

I only meant to have one ..... ate all five! :oops:

After having Scampi & Chips for lunch too! :Bag

:Muted

18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Me too. I feel so bad for my older brother, he has HBP and has to watch his salt intake now. I remember one time when we were having a meal together he was watching me shake the salt into my soup (my own home made soup, I don't use salt when I cook so I need to add a LOT) and he looked so wistful! But myself and my three sisters - we're all salt hogs.

I know one of my sisters tried to raise her kids without that salt addiction, I remember when the kids were little there was never salt on their table. But they are all grown up and moved out now long since and my sister is back to pouring on the salt lol.

19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I like a sprinkle of salt on my toast and butter. :)
    Some people do salt ice cream. You might try it on your B&J. Let me know how you like it. It's Haagen Dazs or nothing for me, and I'm not putting salt in my Haagen Dazs!

20. Siskin

Had a chinese with our friends from up the road. It was heaven, first one I’ve had since last year.

Mrtoad and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice