Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I don’t know how to correctly feed my kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ChloeandTijger, Jan 3, 2020.

1. ChloeandTijger

ChloeandTijger PetForums Newbie

Hi All! I have two eight week old kittens, boy and girl. They are half Maine Coon (the other half is unknown). I’m having some trouble deciding how to best feed them. They are in Carnivole Kitten, quarter of a tin can each in the morning and quarter each in the evening. According to the manufacturer that should be enough for the day, but the kittens are always hungry. To satisfy their appetite I also give them dry food, around 25gr each which is also in theory enough for the day. Effectively, I’m feeding them twice the recommended amount, thing is, they are otherwise hungry and if they could I’m sure they would eat even more. I cannot tell whether I’m feeding them too much, or if I should just give them as much as they ask, or stick to the recommended amount . Please help me.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

What size tins? If 200g I would expect them to eat around a tin a day each

3. ChloeandTijger

Tin can is 100g and according to label 0.5 for up to 3 kilos. They are currently a bit over 1 kilo each.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Tiny kittens of that age need to eat 4 or 5 meals a day, as much as they can eat at each meal. Your kittens aren't only hungry, they must be starving!

Growing kittens generally eat up to 12 ounces of wet a day. (340 g)

chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. ChloeandTijger

Currently they eat as much as they want (twice the recommended amount and maybe more) which is why I don’t know whether I’m doing the right or the wrong thing. I did some research and the Internet seems pretty divided which just confuses me more. I cannot tell whether I’m overfeeding them or not .

Should I just fill up their bowls and let them eat as they please whilst completely ignoring the recommended amount? The vet said to feed them twice a day the recommended amount and I strongly feel that’s not the right thing to do either.

chillminx likes this.
  6. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Feed them as much as they like.

Our youngest cat who is 1 this month still gets pretty much whatever she wants when she wants it. She can happily eat two tins of smilla which are 200g tins in a day!

While they are growing, and using up a lot of energy playing etc they need all the extra!

chillminx, ChloeandTijger and lorilu like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Your kittens have a year or more of growing to do. Kittens need energy from their food to grow and keep up with their extremely active ways. You should never restrict a kitten's intake.

Your vet is wrong, tiny kittens like that (too young to have left their mother, by the way) need to fill their bellies 4 or 5 times a day, as much wet food as they can eat at each meal. Until they are at least six months old they should be eating 4-5 times a day.

Once they get to be about 6 months you could drop them to 3 meals a day, but continue to feed them as much as they can eat at each meal until they are full grown.

chillminx and Psygon like this.
  8. ChloeandTijger

Thanks Psygon. I think I’ll just put food in their bowls and let them graze as they like whilst they are still little. The vet was against this idea and mentioned 80% of cats in Europe are obese and to just let them cry for food. But I was unable let them cry, and instead was feeling like a bad cat mom for giving in and offering more food.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Obesity is a problem in many adult cats, true, mainly because people free feed kibble and don't engage with their pets, keeping them active.

Making them starve between meals when they are tiny babies is likely to set up a food anxiety problem that could last all their lives, and lead to obesity.

Keep your kittens on a scheduled meal times with a good quality wet diet. No kibble. This will ensure a healthy attitude toward food and a healthy weight and go a long way toward healthy cats!

Also get in the habit of routine interactive game times, to keep them active, mentally and physically, all their lives.

chillminx likes this.
  10. Psygon

Vet is definitely wrong.

This is Waffles', not the best photo but it gives a good idea of her body shape. She's been eating as much as she likes since she came to us. She's a good size (4.02kg) and her body shape is good.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200102192219223_COVER~2.jpg

I think as an owner you get to know your kittens, you know when they are hungry, and letting them cry won't help and could encourage behaviours associated with trying to get at food that you don't want to encourage (like trying to steal human food etc). Far better to feed them what they want when they want when they are growing

chillminx, lorilu and ChloeandTijger like this.
  11. ChloeandTijger

I give them wet food in the morning and then again in the evening after work. I was thinking of leaving kibble out for in between (when I’m at work).

I play with them often, they loooove the fishing rod. Somehow I’ve managed to even get them to play in turns though I have no idea how .

Psygon likes this.
  12. ChloeandTijger

Beautiful coat she’s got and very shiny! Is she an Oriental or a Siamese? Beautiful girl!

Psygon likes this.
  13. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

I free feed my Annie since she has come. She is 2,5 years old, very slim and eats only what she needs as she never had to be anxious about food.
    Playing with the rod in turns is quite normal as cats are solitary hunters. While one is ’hunting’ the attachment the other waits her turn.

Edit: As a very active outie she puts away 400g of high quality wet food per day.

ChloeandTijger and Psygon like this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

My cats play in turns too. :) Get timed feeders for feeding when you aren't home. Wet food can be kept fresh in timed feeders. I would really urge you to get rid of the kibble as soon as possible. It's just not good for them.

chillminx, ChloeandTijger and Psygon like this.
  15. Psygon

She's a tonkinese :)

16. ChloeandTijger

Thank you All! I sincerely appreciate all your feedback. I feel more relaxed and less confused. My two little ones have such lovely characters, all I want is for them to have a healthy and happy life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice