Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I.D. Tattooing

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by maisiecat, Jan 3, 2012.

1. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Just wondering if anyone (in the UK in particular) has had their cat tattoo'd?

I was thinking that if the ears were not too dark it might be a quicker way to see if the cat had ID than scanning for a chip.

Does it work well enough on black ears?

A while ago during a check up I asked the vet to check the microchip and he couldn't find it at first as it had moved, it made me think about a back up plan. A marked ear would be easier to spot, no need to take the cat to a rescue or vet for scanning and wouldn't migrate.

2. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

My cats have the usual microchips but the dog came ready tattooed. I would think the inside of the ear should be fine even on a black cat as their is relatively little hair there.

3. Douglas

Douglas PetForums Newbie

Ouch! I think a collar with info plus microchip would be simpler and a bit cheaper. Where do you get this done?

4. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

I think that, bearing in mind all sedation causes risk, that if a cat was having a procedure at the same time (spay etc) then having tattoo ID at the same time could be a good idea. I wouldn't, however, sedate only to tattoo.

I would worry that the healing process on the ear could be very annoying for an animal (as it would itch like a mo-fo), which could cause complications from scratching.

I would also say that the effectiveness on black skin in animals would be similar to the effectiveness on dark skin in humans. I have a friend that has a tattoo and is very dark and you only really see the sheen of the scar tissue.

I can see why it has taken off in other countries but it's not very common in the UK (I don't think).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice