Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I convinced mum a heater is a good idea

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by danielled, Jul 8, 2017.

1. danielled

danielled Guest

Good news. I convinced mum a heater is a good idea. Merlin's dead. His head that's all we found his head again. My sisters bf said he has 3 heaters all working that he isn't using and he'll bring one to me and set it up. It won't bring Merlin the pleco back but I should have better luck. I've always wanted neon tetras. Now you guys can you please help me out. Ideas ideas for fish. I'll do my research first obviously but fish ideas please and any tips. Got my water testing kit still. Merlin must have died when we were on holiday. Zebra danios are doing great. Alvin, Simon, Theodor and Timothy Tim or Timmy for short rushed for their food again as per usual. A side note, preferably bright fish due to my vision. I used to have live plants in there but shall we say a certain species that eats algea and sticks to the side used to eat them.

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

RIP Merlin :(

Be sure to increase the temperature gradually. In this heatwave, you may well find that the tank is at or above 25 C even without a heater - my temperate tank is! So check the temp first, and if it does need to go higher, set the heater to a very low setting first, then gradually increase it once per day until it's the temp you want. Like I say, it probably won't make much difference in this weather, but will be helpful in winter :)

Remind me what size your tank is? Is it only the danios in there at the moment?

3. danielled

danielled Guest

Yes only the little zebra danios in there. Here's my tank can't remember the exact size but will try and find out. Excuse all the algea the top lot I'm going to clean again and the algae lower down was the give away that he'd died. Yes I'll gradually increase the temperature. I'd like a bigger tank but at the moment we just don't have room for one. IMG_0586.JPG

4. danielled

danielled Guest

Just noticed Alvin photo bombing the picture lol. To the top right hand side.

5. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Tiger barbs? I really enjoyed having Tiger Barbs.

6. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

I wouldn't put tiger barbs in a smallish tank with smaller fish - they can be very territorial and bullies.

Is your water hard or soft? Endlers are lovely little bright-coloured fish for hard water, and have a lot of character too. Cherry barbs will suit most water types. Harlequin or espei rasboras (I personally prefer espeis, or 'lambchops' as they're also known) will suit soft to medium water, as will glowlight, neon, ember or cardinal tetras. A single dwarf gourami, or a small group of 3-4 honey gouramis, would make good 'feature fish' for soft to medium water, or a couple of platys for hard water - assuming your tank is big enough. Others may have other suggestions :)

Personally, I'd take a few of those rocks out to increase your tank capacity, and I'd also reduce the depth of the substrate. If you keep them all, be sure to account for them when working out your bioload - a 70L tank with that amount of rocks and gravel in probably only holds less than 40L of actual water.

7. danielled

danielled Guest

I've been saying since I got this tank I thought there was too many rocks in. I'm not going mad then. I have every intention of taking some rocks out. I can lose some especially those bigger ones. The PH is currently around the 5.5-7.5 as I say I'd love a bigger tank and if/when we have space I will get a bigger tank. Maybe with a few less rocks when the time comes though.

8. danielled

danielled Guest

One day when I have the space for a bigger tank I'll get tiger barbs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice