Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I cant stand my college

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sid&kira, May 27, 2010.

1. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Had exotics today and it makes me so sad going in there, I see it as borderline animal abuse :mad:

One of the leopard geckos has stopped feeding, so is INCREDIBLY skinny, seriously shes emacicated (sp) :frown: She's also lost her tail, which in itself is not a big deal, but thats her fat store, so she now has NO store, and wont eat. She wont last more than a couple of months :frown: But she hasnt been to the vets and they wont have her PTS for some reason....

The Uromastyx is ill, has a gammy eye, it wasall weepy 2 weeks ago, which I noted in his notes, and mentioned to the tutor, nothing has been done about it and he can no longer open his eye :( Poor boy :frown: Again... no vet treatment for him....

One of the pacman frogs has a prolapse (basically his colon is coming outta his bum), which is painful and big risk of infection... No vet treatment....

All of the snakes have UV lighting, snakes should not have UV because they have no eyelids, so its like us looking directly at the sun for 12 hours a day, it eventually makes them go blind. And the college wonder why the snakes are grumpy and have gone for people :mad:

I've told the college about all of this but they wont do anything about it :( :mad:

2. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

wow that sound bad how is anyone going tom learn how to look after the animals if the collage dont them self are you doing an animal courses or something

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I think youve warned them and they havent done anything, I would be tempted to ring the rspca, you must feel so frustrated.

4. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

Hi hun

I will try and find out who to get in touch with.....i am pretty sure they have to adhere to strict guidelines.

5. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

yea im doing animal management, which is a good course, in 2nd year now, all through 1st year i couldnt wait for 2nd cus i love reptiles and other exotics... but i cant stand to do my favourite subject any more :(

RSPCA will do jack all... they no next to nothing about reptile care

6. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

thanks gilly :)

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I do the same course & am also in Year 2 now... Exotics is a fascinating lesson but exotic animals are so hard to keep healthy, especially in an environment like the college where there are so many people always in and out and touching them and doing different things with them.

Our exotics section is usually fairly healthy but we do have a chameleon who will only eat for certain people and even then doesn't eat very often. She's really stressed and is always hiding away and is never active. I feel really sorry for her and I definately think she should be taken out of the college environment.

Our weakest point is probably the small animals, like hamsters and stuff. They're always bloomin dying on us and getting ill, but our tutors usually will do their best for the animal. Our animal area was quite ropey when I first started but we've had all new facilties put in and everything is much better now.

You need to talk to your group and see if there's anything you can do about it together... we're lucky to be a very close class (theres only 9 of us and we're all girls lol) and if there's anything that we suspect is wrong with the animals or could be done better, we group together and make a BIG fuss about it, it's caused a bit of trouble in the past but if you stick to your guns, changes will be made, we've done it plenty of times :)

What college are you at, just out of interest?

8. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

otley college in suffolk

Unfortunately there are LOADS of animal care students, most of which arent the least bit interested in reptiles, or a scared of them :rolleyes:

I complained about the lighting in the snakes and the woman said that it wouldnt do them ay harm and it was there so people could see them :mad:

9. rona

rona Guest

Even if the RSPCA don't do anything, at least you would have tried

10. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

oh, that's not quite so easy then :( I don't understand how people can do an Animal Management course and then complain/be scared of the animals :rolleyes:

Have you tried printing off some research about the UV lights, maybe try and find a couple of books that say it? Sorry if you've already tried that but just trying to think of suggestions :eek:

11. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I will do that ;)

Rona we have regular visits from them, they come round and look at all the units... they reckon everything's fine :frown:

12. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

That's how we usually get things changed, after finding out that our Rats were kept on pine shavings - our tutors were dead against changing it over and we went on about it for weeks and weeks that it could be dangerous to them and we printed off loads of research and showed them websites and eventually they changed the substrate :) we were especially worried because a lot of our rats were getting respiratory problems and we did have one that sneezed herself into a prolapse :(

Try and get a few friends together if you can, or try and spread the word - but also try not to get in trouble lol i dunno what your college is like but ours can be extremely bitchy between the different groups (I'm ND and theres a huge divide between us and the NC's) at times so we've got to be really careful what we say and do because if it gets back to the tutors, they will make our lives hell, but we usually win :D

13. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I can do that for the snakes (and the leopard geckos as they're on sand :mad:)

But what about the vet treatment?? They know about it, and its obvious it needs treating.... I will go to the unit manager tomorrow and make sure she knows tho

14. rona

rona Guest

If an animal needs vet care and it is not being given, that is against the law :mad:
    Defra, UK - Animal Health and Welfare - Animal Welfare - Animal Welfare Act

15. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I will print that off thanks Rona :)

16. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

i do the animal management course at my college. I hated exotics, and I don't like reptiles. I mostly like the dogs and the small mammals. You don't have to like everything on a course.

my college are quite good to be honest, they are always having the vet out (not because they are unhealthy all the time, but with such a huge amount of animals, there's going to be at least one animal that needs veterinary treatment each week or so). They also aren't funny about PTS. if an animal is suffering, they will PTS.

#16 SEVEN_PETS, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  17. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I never said you did have to like everything. I just don't understand people who whinge and make a fuss about the ones they dont like. Sorry if that offended you :rolleyes:

18. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Got it in one, we told one to sod off in 2008 because she tried to tell us we need UV lights for the Boa's Mmm no lovetold her to actually research the animal shes meant to be looking at and come back with any type of proof they needed it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice