Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I can't enjoy fireworks

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Oct 28, 2012.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I can't be the only one, surely?

I took Lewy to a Halloween event tonight, they do fireworks at the end.

It's outside the town so I figured far enough away that it won't bother Dixie.

However when the first firework went off all I could think about was how I hoped she couldn't hear them and that she was ok :eek:

I got home and she had obv heard them because she greeted me differently than she usually does, but she wasn't too scared to go for a pee so she can't have been too bothered.

Next sat I am going to my aunts for our family bonfire night, this time OH will be at home to play fetch with Dixie if there are people nearby having theirs at the weekend. Think I will give her some valerian root before I leave just in case too, stupidly didn't think to give her any tonight.

I used to love fireworks, now I just associate them with worrying about how she is.

2. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Youre not alone in not being able to enjoy fireworks because of a nervous dog...
    I love the big display held in a town about 15 miles from here every summer and I never miss it..
    Its properly organised and safe...

But...I hate new year, I mean I dread it , I want to run and hide for the time spanning boxing day and jan 3rd ...Why? because of idiots with fireworks.

They are not supposed to let them off until new years eve but somehow they get hold of them and kids as young as 7 are roaming the streets throwing bangers and little rockets at cars cyclists and anyone else that passes.

Its not unusual to have a rocket whizz past your ear while trying to walk down the road during this time. Twice last year I had fireworks thrown at my car..exploding against the windows..
    The police do nothing..unless you are actually burnt or there is damage to property..

Oscar is Ok with them and Benny not too bad but Remy is a wreck always has been ,.
    Weve tried loads of things but nothing works.. its not just the noise, its the vibrations, the smells and the suddenness of the bangs that make him so bad..

So new year is ruined for me all because some people cant control themselves and have to be idiots when it comes to fireworks.
    These will be the ones who complain when/if a total ban is bought in not understanding its their behaviour that necessitated the ban.

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Same here. I was in town with the dogs a couple of weeks ago, and walking back to the car where I'd left it on the outskirts where you can park for free. Someone was letting off massive fireworks - the sort you get in public displays - in broad daylight! You couldn't even see them. Apart from being a stupid waste of money, mine couldn't have been the only dogs in the area that were scared. Ziggy didn't stop shaking for about 2 hours. As soon as it starts to get dark now, the bangs start.

I still love to watch them though, just wish they were silent and didn't scare animals. I can't go out to the displays, the dogs would be more upset by bangs if I wasn't there to act as if nothing was happening.

4. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I've never enjoyed them so I guess I'm not missing out. Always thought they were a complete waste of time and taxpayers money. Kes doesn't seem too bothered about them but I wouldn't want her to be home alone just incase they did start to freak her out.

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I've never liked them anyway, horrid noisy polluting pointless things:eek:

6. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

^^^ this.

I have never really rated fireworks, I just don't see the point. Yeh they are kinda pretty, but there just so overly noisy, and over in about 2 seconds anyway! Last year, Molly was only about 4 months old, and she didn't bat an eyelid bless her! But I would still NEVER leave her alone, just in case she did get freaked out and was on her own all scared :(

7. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

This, I don't go out and leave them alone to the noise either, bad enough being scared but in the house alone.

I used to have them in my garden growing up, had all friends round and my grandfather would set them up, the dogs i had were never even bothered about them and used to watch from behind the patio doors! They always enjoyed all the fun.

8. Calinyx

Calinyx PetForums VIP

I loved them when i was younger.

I have a problem with my kids though in that they are both ultra sensitive with their hearing. Loud noises triggers tears in both my teen and son. My teen has just been confirmed as having aspergers and my son is currently being tested. Sensitive hearing is a known issue with ASD.

They both like fireworks displays, but can't actually go to one. In our village we are in the lucky position, in that the kids bedrooms have a clear enough view of the display without the noise being too much for either of our kids. Even better, they can be ready for bed and in their jammies whilst being able to watch from the comfort of their beds!

As for the animals, Cali has never been bothered by them....and now she's deaf it's nae an issue! Nyx leaps up and down in front of the patio doors trying to catch the sparkly bits:crazy: and Kenzie...well we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully as with everything else, she'll follow Cali's lead and not react!

[Funnily with Cali...last week we were getting our driveway extended so that we can park our caravan at home. Now she couldn't hear the workers...but when they started to use the vibroplate to level the tar...the house was vibrating. Poor old soul was really confused and kept woofing]

9. joyous growler

joyous growler PetForums Member

Yes PoisonGirl, you aren't alone.

You see, we live about one miles from the location of the usual fireworks. Despite this, my dogs were very disturbed by the explosions before.:(

Roll and Zizi were confused at this time and dug up the bottom of the garage and fled there.

I was very sorry for them, and angry at the fireworks' organizers.:mad:

My vet advised me to give calming tablets to them. I did so, consequently; they're sleeping at the time of a firework for two years.:)

So, it's true that the fireworks that annoy me continued, but at least they rest during this time.

Greetings,

Al

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I am fortunate in a way that my dogs don't bother about fireworks although this year I have Sally and Teddy who I have no idea what they will do.

The other night someone set of 2 of those big repeater fireworks on the grass across the road from our house. We didn't see who set them off but a neighbour said they saw 2 men running away. She said they weren't even teenagers they were adult men Teddy and Sally didn't flinch so I am hoping they will not bother next week but we have a big display just up the road next staurday night:mad:

11. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

I used to love watching them but the noise has always scared me, I must have been the only teen watching with my fingers in my ears :rolleyes:
    (I'm often told it's an ASD thing).

Now with Diz, it's a worry. She was OK until last year an inconsiderate neighbour set one of whilst we were out in the garden at 4:45pm!!! :mad:
    Now she'll try to hide in my lap/under me/on my head :(

Being extra cautious this year, hope it's not too traumatic for her, don't want to resort to medication yet tbh, would rather work on desensitizing her as she was OK before that one incident..... we'll see *sigh*

12. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

I used to have a cat when I was younger that was terrified of fire works, she would hide under the wine cupbaord in the back porch, and no matter how much you tried, she wouldn't come out till the next morning...
    Same with thunder and lightening.

13. biggreys

biggreys PetForums Member

iv had a terrible 2 nights with 3 of my 5, there petrified. need to make sure they have had a wee before 5.30pm as they start so early. I take them all up to my bedroom put the tv on and draw the blinds but its horrible to see how scared my girls are.

14. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I hate them, having sensitive hearing from being autistic doesn't help, and the irresponsible '18' year olds that mess about with them just because they're allowed to buy them.

15. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I really think fireworks should be banned from general sale and just used for 'professional' displays. Every year they cause SO many accidents and injuries, as well as the stress caused to pets and wild animals - it can't be easy for them either!

Other forms of explosives are banned, so why aren't these? They do JUST as much damage, you see it on the news every year that someone is killed after behing hit by a firework, or having their house set on fire.

It's got to stop!

16. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I wouldn't leave my dogs near firework night. Ferdie is frightened, though last year Diva wasn't too bad considering it was her first time really. As to enjoying them, I find them tedious and boring and a total waste of money!

17. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Sainsbury's are doing on selected boxes of fireworks buy one get one free. :mad5: :mad5: :mad5:

18. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Oh great, we're probably going to have a few weekends now between november and new year with the damn things.

19. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well I was just about to take the dogs a wee walk around the park, and come upstairs to send a message and someone near the park is setting off fireworks- but they are clearly incapable of doing it correctly, at least 3 of them have not gone upwards but sideways and landed in the park!

Walk cancelled :mad:

20. smudgebiscuit

smudgebiscuit PetForums Member

I've always quite liked them until we got Molly 2 years ago-she really doesn't like them at all, in fact last new years eve we ended up in the car with her driving her away from them!! We'd taken her over Cannock Chase for about 4 hours thinking that if she was tired she'd react less-nope, we'd spent hours distracting her with games & food and just couldn't bear to see her so distressed. So for the past 3 weeks i've been playing her firework sounds from You Tube and clicking her when she doesn't react, even had the laptop in different rooms and behind the curtains and really thought we'd turned a corner....until last night when a few fireworks were going off......Molly barking her head off :(

So i'm dreading the next few weekends too :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice