UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM sat here in tears! Tails has a bad tummy again! OH is coming back from work to take her to the vets as he has the card so i couldnt pay if i went now :(

What am i doing wrong? She hasnt eaten anything bad this time as she has been in the crate for the last week :confused:

I cant seem to do anything right (When i said this to OH he said she is the best trained puppy he has seem but that doesnt make me feel any better!) why is she always having a bad tummy or hurting herself what am i doing wrong?!?

Sorry i just fell like its all my fault, i love her more and anything but its all going wrong :crying::crying:

·
Registered
779 Posts
aww dont beat yourself up its nothing your doing. i feel the same at the min but not with my dog but my kids atm there either down with a bug of have hurt themselves. im sure evrything will be fine,you sound like you need to try and get some rest,i hope all is well again soon but dont blame yourself :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aww dont beat yourself up its nothing your doing. i feel the same at the min but not with my dog but my kids atm there either down with a bug of have hurt themselves. im sure evrything will be fine,you sound like you need to try and get some rest,i hope all is well again soon but dont blame yourself :)
Thanks its so hard not to though! Know what you mean with kids!! Last Friday it was school picture day, so naturally on Thursday my eldest boy bumped into another kid and had a massive black eye :eek: He then went on to fall over at his kung fu lesson and grazed his knee and his elbow (he often wears short sleeved shirts without his jumper as he gets to hot) So school photos we get to look forward to a lovely picture of my two sons one covered in yoghurt from having lunch at school and the other with a shining black eye and a really red elbow! :rolleyes: Every year one of them has a bruise or cut or lump!!

Got the vets at 2.15 and OH came back from work to set up insurance (He did do it wrong though and we need to change it when the paper work comes through!) and helped me clear up the mess tails made of her crate and gave me the bank card.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Cripes she is really putting you through it isn't she. You know you are not doing anything wrong but Andrea84 is right, you know you are tired and wiped out from looking after her this last week, shes a very demanding young pup especially at the mo. Some dogs just have dodgy guts unfortunately it might be that she needs a very restricted diet. You are doing great, just a very tired doggy Mum at the moment.

We had worries with Ginge last week, she was being sick and it looked like she had been eating plastic but we had no idea where from, then it seemed like she hadn't had a poo for nearly 3 days over the weekend. We found out she had been chewing her crate tray :rolleyes: no idea about the poo's but she had a big one yesterday morning :D so put it down to changing her food to a better quality one.

ETA the kids sound fine too - it will add character to their pics, who wants boring smiling perfectly groomed children, its not normal!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every year one of the kids is hurt in the school photos and i try so hard to keep them looking nice so i can have one decent pic up on the wall of them!

She certainly is demanding!! Its so worrying having a puppy!! Now i know why my mum wasnt so keen when we wanted a puppy as kids!! I dont remember Lupus being like this though!!

Thankfully she has started to sleep through the night again and apart from having accidents recently while not feeling well she has started being dry over night :)

It seems that we come out of one thing and straight into the next and my nerves cant cope! Im getting so worried sick about her if she is quiet in her crate for longer than normal im getting paranoid something has happened!

I have pointed out the OH has only pooper scooped the garden once since we moved in 4 months ago and holds the lead of Bruno for me when i make us all go out on walks and that is the extent of what he does to help! I need more from him as im falling apart! I worry about Tails more than i did the kids when they were little :eek: I feel totally out of my comfort zone here and feel im blindly bumbling along.

Im trying to get it all right, i want her to be healthy and happy feels like im just banging my head against a wall though :mad2:

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
If I remember correctly its your first puppy??? Bruno was a grown up rescue yes?

I know exactly how you mean, Ginge is older but in some ways she still a pup as she came totally untrained, unaware of all the things out here in the world. I thought I was reasonably savvy about dogs and would cope with settling her in and training - I was so, so, wrong, we are starting to settle now, starting to see things working and sinking in and I am trying not to stress so much - I can honestly say that the new dog coupled with giving up smoking almost caused a divorce :eek: seriously, sounds ridiculous doesn't it?!! :cursing:

If you are feeling this bad then your OH needs to step in even if his efforts don't last long ;), just enough for you to pull yourself back together and get back on track. it really did help me when OH took over the walking for a couple of days as i didn't have to stress about the things she did. then we went out together and I realised she wasn't quite as good with him as he said and since then things have settled down (bar rabbit hole incidents :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I remember correctly its your first puppy??? Bruno was a grown up rescue yes?

I know exactly how you mean, Ginge is older but in some ways she still a pup as she came totally untrained, unaware of all the things out here in the world. I thought I was reasonably savvy about dogs and would cope with settling her in and training - I was so, so, wrong, we are starting to settle now, starting to see things working and sinking in and I am trying not to stress so much - I can honestly say that the new dog coupled with giving up smoking almost caused a divorce :eek: seriously, sounds ridiculous doesn't it?!! :cursing:

If you are feeling this bad then your OH needs to step in even if his efforts don't last long ;), just enough for you to pull yourself back together and get back on track. it really did help me when OH took over the walking for a couple of days as i didn't have to stress about the things she did. then we went out together and I realised she wasn't quite as good with him as he said and since then things have settled down (bar rabbit hole incidents :rolleyes:)
Yes Tails is my first puppy and OH's really although we both grew up with them it was our parents that dealt with everything. Bruno was 3 when we got him and already housetrained and really the only issue with him is not knowing how to greet other dogs, he isnt aggressive himself but causes fights by being to bouncy and jumping on the other dogs.

Its so hard bringing a new dog into your home but a puppy i cant believe what she is putting me through! :eek:

Asked OH to chip in a bit more as i really need his help, its not just the dogs ive got to deal with but the kids, the geckos, the snake, the newt and the fish as well as all the housework! Just started paying the kids to do chores to get some help!

Hopefully soon Tails will be fine and sleeping through the night and we can all finally settle into a good routine! The last 8 weeks have been the hardest ive gone through and ive been through a lot before!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Thanks its so hard not to though! Know what you mean with kids!! Last Friday it was school picture day, so naturally on Thursday my eldest boy bumped into another kid and had a massive black eye :eek: He then went on to fall over at his kung fu lesson and grazed his knee and his elbow (he often wears short sleeved shirts without his jumper as he gets to hot) So school photos we get to look forward to a lovely picture of my two sons one covered in yoghurt from having lunch at school and the other with a shining black eye and a really red elbow! :rolleyes: Every year one of them has a bruise or cut or lump!!

Got the vets at 2.15 and OH came back from work to set up insurance (He did do it wrong though and we need to change it when the paper work comes through!) and helped me clear up the mess tails made of her crate and gave me the bank card.
ha ha i know what you mean about school photos i personally dread them my three always either have food or cuts and bruises! can not wait for the 4th to have her 1st photo :rolleyes:
im sure pup will be ok and with any luck getting it all out the way while shes a pup and will be as strong as an ox after :D
with the kids and the pup,you must be exhausted everything is always worse when your running on empty (i know that feeling all to well at the minute)

·
Premium Member
33,926 Posts
Puppies are such hard work, I'm sure you are doing just fine it just feels as if your not and that's because you are tried.

Dillon was never really sick but he was weeing all the time, some days over 30 times I was really worried then all of a sudden everything settled down.

So try not to worry I'm sure everything will be fine.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
aww poor thing, we have had troubles with zelda she has had 2 hospital stays due to sickness and diarhea.. after a lot of reasearch we decided to try her on wet food because after a sickness dry can irritate their tummies and intestines.

we did a straight swap on to nature diet and have had no problems since it was like it fixed her overnight.

Maybe try wet its easier on their ickle tummies, and saves money from vet vists, ours came to £1700!!!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
There have been quite a few iffy tum threads so apologies if I have posted this before but has she ever had a 3 day fecal test? 3 samples on 3 consequetive days as there is less chance of missing things.

These would show up parasites like coccidia and Giardia, persistent bacterial infections like campylobacter that need specific antibiotics and a longer course and things like other bacterial and yeast overgrowths, all causes of diarrhoea and upset tums a lot of which can be common in pups.
If she hasnt had it done, could well be a good place to start to rule in or out,
if it should be one of these then without proper treatment then its not going to clear up or re-occur.

If that doesnt show anything might even be worth doing some blood tests they can often tell you a lot too.

At least with the tests you may get to the bottom of things.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
we had all those tests done on zelda as well, also they looked for peritonitis, addisons and did an xray in case of a blockage.

we believe it could possibly have been seasonal canine illness or canine heamoragic gastro, each time she came home she couldnt keep food in without being ill until we went wet.

·
Registered
678 Posts
PHP:
Is the pup still on the same food?? or have you changed it?? maybe you will have to do a bit of research and try a different brand.
PHP:
Exactly my thoughts Bobbie. Good luck and hope you get it all sorted soon.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.