Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I can feel dogs ribs but I think he is overweight ?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Charlotte butterworth, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Charlotte butterworth

i can feel my dogs ribs and when he stands I can see a waist , so he looks quite skinny , but he seems to have rolls near his neck area and when he sits/lies down his bum area gets pudgy looking and I see rolls. Does he have an unusual weight distribution ? He is a miniature schnauzer and is about 5/6 years old .

2. Charlotte butterworth

Or could it be possible that he just has wrinkly skin ? Or could he be a tiny bit overweight ?

3. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I think he just has wrinkly skin. Check with your vet the next time you take him in.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There is a body conditioning reference/score. With an idea weight you should be able to comfortably feel the ribs and they should have a minimal covering of fat, when viewed from above he should have a visible "waist" and when viewed from the side his tummy should tuck up nicely from behind the rib cage to where his tummy is.

The body conditioning score chart is below with illustrations, if your in doubt you can compare him to this.

https://www.purina.co.uk/dogs/healt...and-weight-management/dog-body-condition-tool

5. Charlotte butterworth

Yeah , that is a good idea , I will check with my vet when I need to get more flea stuff . Thanks .

6. Charlotte butterworth

It's interesting that the slightly overweight that you can still feel ribs , so it's possible that he could be a little bit over weight . Thanks that was useful !

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice