Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I can´t believe Dexter is over

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by merlin12, Sep 29, 2013.

1. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Anyone watched the end so we can discuss?:D

2. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

OMG don't tell me....im still to watch the last series
    I love it soooooooooooo much

I have heard the ending isn't very good tho!

3. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

It wasn´t what I expected:D but like every good series....

4. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Watching it right now

5. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

As a devoted fan from the beginning, of course I watched. ;)

Mixed feelings with quite a big tinge of disappointment. Everything felt far too rushed. Saxon had the potential to be a good antagonist but the build up was not suspenseful. I didn't find him particularly chilling like the Ice Truck Killer, Trinity, Jordan Chase and his cronies etc, purely because we didn't see enough of him. I expected Vogel/Saxon to have some kind of blood connection to Dexter which I think would have made a good twist, but nope.

Deb conveniently being shot, conveniently surviving and then conveniently dying of "complications". Aka the writers clutching at the classic 'we need to kill off a main character' to make it more interesting line. Horrible and pointless ending for a character we have emotionally invested in for 8 years. I like most people really liked Deb and felt her death was a massive kick in the teeth.

Then we have the whole Hannah thing. What happened to lone wolf Dexter? the appeal of his character was that he was psychopath desperately trying to blend in and appear 'normal' on the outside. Suddenly he is head over heels for the woman who tried to kill his sister? I didn't believe the whole Deb allowing Hannah to stay at her house thing (would you trust someone who tried to kill you live under your roof?), never mind Dexter allowing Harrison to swan off to Argentina with her. At the very least there should have been some kind of twist involving Hannah as her recurrence in the show didn't bring anything extra to the table. As it happened, her reappearing didn't serve any purpose other than to try and create a convenient ending.

I'm not sure what to make of the Dark Knight Rises style ending. It was all a bit too Hollywood and not the Dexter I had come to know and love. I get that they wanted to progress Dexter from the unfeeling 'monster' of the first series to a character that was more human, but I found myself asking really? Dexter is a master manipulator at getting himself out of trouble, but faking his own death? leaving the supposed love of his life (which I didn't believe) and his son?

I just feel as though the last few series have lost their way a bit. The first 5 series were dark, gritty, thought-provoking edge of your seat stuff. I was always desperate to see the next episode and as morbid as it sounds, I liked the darker Dexter and all the murder mysteries which unraveled. Dexter's character is the most interesting thing in Dexter and to make him too 'human' and emotional was a big mistake.

6. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I love your analysis:D. I wanted Mama Vogel to have been the killer. I didn´t want Deb to die, I wanted her and Dexter to end up together, I dislike Hannah a lot. The end was quite strange, but I guess it is open to a future Dexter.

7. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

i love dexter but totally agree with labradrk analysis.
    i loved it when it first started, the end was disappointing, so much happened in one episode, and not in a good way either. And they portrayed dexter as an emotional wreck affected by stuff even though he is meant to be a psychopath sociopath whatever with no concept of remorse or feelings.

but i still love him lol

8. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

the last couple of series have been disappointing last nights episode was a HUGE HUGE let down, hated the ending, very disappointed.

9. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

ew no they are brother and sister, all be it not biological, I liked their brother sister relationship, I didn't like when deb started to fall for him, it was kind of gross and didn't really make any sense, they were raised together as family, for them to end up together would of been horrible.

10. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

It did cross my mind about Dexter and Deb ending up together, but I think that would have been too weird. Deb would have gone for it but Dexter would never have felt the same way so romantically it would not work.

The last scene was a bit of a cop out. 8 years of cheering him on (cheering on a serial killer? who'd have thought?!) and we are led to believe that Dexter has abandoned everything he has ever known for a solitary life chopping wood? they could have played this MUCH better. I believe Deb's presence in Dexter's life kept in him grounded and 'human'. I think she was the only thing he consistently loved from the beginning, despite what we were led to believe about Dexter's unfeeling character in the beginning.

In "my" ending, when she died, that human part of him should have died also. I think the final scene should have been Dexter back driving through the neon lights of Miami in darkness, with that great opening line from the first series "tonight's the night and it's going to happen again and again". Then "I just know there’s something dark in me and I hide it. I certainly don’t talk about it, but it’s there always, this Dark Passenger. And when he’s driving, I feel alive, half sick with the thrill of complete wrongness. I don’t fight him, I don’t want to. He’s all I’ve got. Nothing else could love me, not even… especially not me. I thought I could change what I am, keep my family safe. But it doesn’t matter what I do, what I choose. I’m what’s wrong – this is fate." The old Dexter back, a lone wolf, revengeful, with nothing to lose. Fade to black.

11. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I hated it too and glad they didn't pursue that storyline as it would have been way too cliche.

12. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Well I think his humanity did die with Deb. On the other hand Dexter and Deb woudn´t have been weird, she has shown that she loves his kid more than anyone as well as Dexter. If they had sold them to us as a couple we would have accepted her better tan horrible Hannah.

13. LynnM

LynnM PetForums Senior

Ohh no, I shouldn't have read that post, I don't watch it on tv but prefer to wait until the dvds are out then I can have a Dexterfest all in one weekend.
    I have just got season seven so still have to watch that.
    My son gets me the dvds every year for my birthday and that is what I look forward to the most of all my pressies and I'm gutted to know I have only one more series to get :(
    Birthdays will never be the same again :frown5:

14. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

We discovered Dexter about 2 months ago..we watched all 8 series within weeks.

Fantastic series. I do think that no matter what the ending it would have been disappointing.

15. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I think it had lost its way i stoped enjoying it so much towards the end..

Agree it was cliched, it was a bit too CGI at the end and can you jsut get a job as a lumberjack, don't you need some skills?

And can you just rock up on your boat outside the hospital and get that prime parking spot for your boat, and no one notice you turn off life support and carry out a body like that? Bit unbelievable really.

Oh and how they just let Dexter walk out from the police station / jail too ??

I don't knwo what I thought a good ending would be, those people are paid alot more to be alot more skilled at that sort of thing than I am though.

16. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I think they let him walk away because they felt he had a right to do what he did, I also think he was past caring as he saw the video recording.

17. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

I know, i'm sad it's finished. Was an amazing programme.
    But I haven't read the thread properly because I have recorded the final episode and NOT watched it yet and don't want to spoil it for myself :D

18. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

Just watched it and can as a big dexter fan give my insight into it.

Very disappointed.

Saxon was no where near as good as trinity, it feels lazy of the writers they could have gone so much further with Saxon and let his character be known more however he was just there and then gone, No real build up or anything.

Deb gets shot, fair enough worrying time. However to then leave her "dead" after making good progress feel a little stupid. I loved Deb, she deserved a much better ending. It makes her newly kindled relationship with Quin a bit void really.

Who in their right mind would let their son go off to another country with a killer, who once tried to kill his aunt and had previously drugged Dexter. I certainly wouldn't trust her.

The ending was annoying, why would a highly intelligent, family man with a child who'd already lost his mother and aunt then "commit suicide" and end up as a logger. :001_rolleyes:

Personally they could have taken many routes which would have better here's some I'd like to have seen...

Route one:
    Deb gets shot, pulls through but on visiting her in the hospital Dexter decides to stay and be with her, after all he loves her right? Or he decides she must come once she's better, with them and start a fresh.

Route two:
    Obviously, Deb never gets shot, Saxon is caught, they all live happily ever after.

Route three:
    My personal fave and what I was hoping they'd do as the final ep seemed so dull, Dexter has dreamed the whole thing including Deb's death and wakes up from a coma he's been in for some time and he's back at the time with Rita and baby Harrison.

19. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I like route 3 best :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice