Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I am soooooo pleased with coco my siamese!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by anna-coco2009, Aug 2, 2009.

1. anna-coco2009

anna-coco2009 PetForums Junior

Getting my siamese was the best thing I have ever done...

She is the most loving and knowing cat I have ever had. she is 10 months now and has just finished her vacinations as she had cat flu the first time round and could not continue the course. She has not been spayed yet as I would really like to breed her at least once. She has not had a session yet I thought she would have been calling by now, but nothing.... I'm not to worried as I want to wait untill she is at least two years old. So the longer the best for me...:D

I'll not be selling the kittens as they will go to family and of course I will be keeping 1 or 2 myself... :)

If anyone can give me some advice on when they think she will call! just out of intrest.

Anna

2. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

hi I dont know if pedigree cats are different to plain old moggies, but our little girl started around 9/10 months because I remember being worried about her getting out and getting pregnant cos she was too young.

3. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Hey not so much of "the plain old moggie's " :hand:i have 8 of them ! and one of them can read !!!! :eek: :001_tt2:

4. Leah100

Leah100 PetForums Senior

She could start to call any time now, and could then call for a week to ten days every three weeks or so, Siamese can be a bit rampant, and could call even more frequently. Prepare yourself for lots of noise and the possibility of scentmarking by spraying or weeing inappropriately.

Cats are very different from dogs, you will not be able to wait til she's at least two before mating her, she would become extremely frustrated and could possibly become ill with pyometra [womb infection] or lose a lot of condition as many queens won't bother eating when they call.
    Most Breeders would suggest that the third call is a good time to breed so long as the girl is healthy and a good size and ideally a yr old.

You say she has had cat flu. You might want to discuss this with your vet and try and find out a bit more about the type of flu she has had. If it was a Herpes virus, she will always have it, and could show symptoms again when stressed or poorly. Pregnancy could possibly cause this, and if she shows symptoms she could then pass it on to the kittens.
    If she has had a calici type flu, she could possibly have cleared it completely from her system by now, but the only way to be sure is to have swabs taken from her and have her tested. If she does still swab positive, again the stress of pregnancy and kitten raising could cause her to shed virus again, and the kittens would be very vulnerable to catching it.

5. anna-coco2009

anna-coco2009 PetForums Junior

Thank you so much, I will get her checked out and have her spayed if that is the case. I would not have known that, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

6. Leah100

Leah100 PetForums Senior

Good luck, hope you get the advice you need from your vet :)

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Is your girl on the active register? If she isn't you are going to have trouble finding a siamese stud that is willing - unless you know someone with an entire unregistered siamese tom. Also if she is okay to breed with the cat flu thing don't let her call until she is two she will make herself ill. My Birman has just had a litter and has been calling for 6 weeks since they were 3 weeks old, luckily she has stopped now, but she is SO skinny and has lost masses of condition. The third call is about right.

EDIT: My MInnii was just like your girl until she began getting hormonal! Now she is a) a minx and b) quite aloof and annoying and c) incredibly fussy. If you want your girl to stay as lovely as she is I'd spay her cos it is quite likleey that she will become a horrid teenager with all those raging hormones!

#7 spid, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  8. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I was under the impression that a cat that has suffered cat flu cannot be bred from as it will pass to the kittens.

However I may be wrong as don't know an awful lot about it.

I remember a few years back a rescue cat came in that had cat flu and although the infection had cleared he still had it in his system and would every now and again get a mild bout of it.

9. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

lol!! well everyone here seems to own pedigrees, so i was speaking on my own cats behalf by saying moggies but my two are obviously the most beautiful two cats in the world.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice