Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I am so sick...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bonnie82, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Bonnie82

Bonnie82 PetForums Senior

... if having to justify to people why we keep our cats in!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's so boring! Why do people have to question it ALL THE TIME?!!

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Don't bother justifying it hun, just tell them "My cats, my decision!" :dita:

The people who really matter - your OH and us here - know your reasons and few have a problem with it.

After all, would you take brain surgery advice from a plumber??? :D

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

just say, because you dont want them getting hit by a car, poisoned, stolen, getting killed by an unfriendly dog,catching nasty things from unvaccinated cats, etc.....................:),;)

4. Georgies Mum

Georgies Mum PetForums Member

Like they think that by giving us their opinion will make us think "oh you know what,fine,let them go out,I've been wrong this whole time!" Imbeciles. Really gets my goat too :cursing:

5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

No-one has ever questioned my decision to keep the kittens as innies?

I can't think why that is.................:confused:

:D :D :D :D

6. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Tell them, it's none of their business! Like MB says, your cats, your decision :)

My Frankie is an outdoor cat, but I understand and respect owners that keep their cats as indoor cats :)

7. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I can't say too many people ask me (and mine are moggies so I suppose there would be more reason for people to give me attitude) but my last answer to someone who did was...

"There are too many psycho's out there wanting to harm defenceless animals and I really don't want to be turning into one myself to hunt down any f*cker who tries to hurt my loved one. Besides, Oscar's pretty stupid. Why risk it?!"

I guess people who know me just know better to laugh off my answers and not get drawn into a discussion about it with me. Two things I know about; cats and parenting. I am the proud carer of a well manned and non-bratty 5 year old boy, and two glossy, healthy looking cats who are confident enough to approach anyone and have never bitten or scratched anyone. The proof of the pudding as they say...so people tend to just accept what I say.

I also think keeping cats as indoor cats is more normal in London so I never got anyone thinking it was strange or cruel.

Now in regards to Duncan....that's a lost cause, but even I admit defeat to that....:rolleyes:

8. Bette

Bette PetForums Senior

Moggybaby,why don't you let your kittens out? ;):D

9. spacedementia

spacedementia PetForums Member

People keep having a go at me saying it's mean to keep Charlie in :(
    I just can't bear the thought of anything happening to him!! I do live in a quiet area, but there are loads of massive cats wandering round all day, rats in the scrubby undergrowth across the road, a road (!) and he's daft as a brush which wouldn't help matters. I'm sick of trying to justify it, and am now going to spend a fortune through 'peer pressure' to make him some sort of cat run.

10. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I have to say Ive had nothing but positivity when I tell people, I think a lot of people dont like the fact that cats poo in their gardens but that isnt the reason mine are indoor cats. The only negative comments I get is people saying the house must stink with so many litter trays.

11. LilahSuki

LilahSuki PetForums Junior

Oh my god I think I just fell in love with your cats!
    In the near future (maybe in 2 years) I want two more kitties, and once I dreamt of them and one of them was silver and one ginger-sih, just like yours :001_tt1:

12. Bonnie82

Thanks everyone for the support... I needed that! :) I don't know anyone "in real life" (as if you lot are all figments of my imagination :rolleyes:) who keeps their cats indoors so it's something I come up against often.

I usually reel off all the reasons and quite often the other person has an equally convincing argument against what I'm saying... and last night I really wasn't in the mood for it!

I am so glad I'm among so many like-minded people here. :D I know there are some on PF who disagree with keeping cats indoors, but at least there are plenty of you who don't. :)

Oh and thank you LilahSuki for the sweet comments about my two! They are my world. :001_tt1: Your two are absolutely beautiful too - what stunners!

Thank you all. :)

13. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

The world is full of a$$-holes honey, that's why we sit on them!!!!! ;)

Hope your day is better today. :)

14. notsure

notsure PetForums Senior

I have no intention of justifying my decision to keep mine in to anyone...as moggybaby said "My cats, my choice"

The only other person who has a say in the decisions I make about my cats is my hubby, and he's happy with the decision, so what anyone else says or thinks about it is irrevelant.

In the end the only people you need to justify your decision to is yourself & your other half and if you've made a decision that's right for you then who cares what anyone else thinks.

welshjet likes this.
  15. paul maine coon

paul maine coon PetForums Senior

At the end of the day its playing russian roulette , times are changing with are busy ever growing 24 hour culture , there was a time when I was all up for letting my older cat out and i though it was the right thing to do 20 years ago but even then he got hit by a car attacked and injured , i don't no many people these days who haven't had a bad experience and death letting there cat out . There's nothing more I want than to be happy letting my cat out but if I did I'm very sure it would end in the obvious and that's something I'm personally not going to risk just the same as no one would with there dogs , please don't attack me as this is my opinion and the reson why I dont let him out and I respect anyone who chooses to let the cat out :D

16. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

I did once , why do you think
    I am how I am :lol: :lol:

17. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

All fears about the road and predators aside, your cats are very beautiful and obvious pedigrees, and thus targets for human predators. At the end of the day if you want to keep them in for their safety, it's your decision and nobody should say boo to you. Your cats look very contented and happy--they don't have a wild look in pictures that screams "I need to be outside". I think you're doing just fine :)

I once had a boyfriend who thought it was terribly cruel that I kept my 2 (at the time) inside. He thought it broke their spirit, and if they were his cats, they'd get to be outside like they were meant to be. So, while he was cat and dog sitting for me while I was gone for work, he let Henry out. Henry, who had never been outside in his life, promptly panicked and disappeared. I lived on a VERY busy road. To this day, I don't know how H made it across in one piece, but for the better part of a week, he lived under a bush in my neighbors yard. Luckily they fed strays, so when the big bruiser tom wasn't around, Henry got to eat something. When I came back and found him, he was dirty and traumatized. I tell you that cat was never so happy to see his house again, and he's never been interested in going outside since. He's perfectly happy sleeping on the bed, the many cat beds, in the linen closet, etc., eating lovely food that is prepared and placed just for him on the table where he doesn't have to fight for it.

18. Bonnie82

Usually the people who question our choice are people who have lost cats on the road... and they defend it by saying "at least their short lives were happy"! Now I don't judge anyone for letting their cats out and I would LOVE to feel safe enough to let mine out, but I just don't.

Like you said Dagny, our two are quite obviously pedigrees - everyone who meets them comments on how unique-looking they are as most people have never met a Siberian cat. They are quite a highly sought-after breed (always a waiting list) and one of the more expensive breeds too... so yes being stolen is another reason I wouldn't risk it. :(

Dagny that ex-boyfriend of yours sounds like a nightmare! :mad: :mad: :mad:

19. SnazzyJazzy

SnazzyJazzy PetForums VIP

i wish i could keep mine in lol :) but they have none of it the tiniest gap and they wiggle out of it. in the end i gave in but i still panic sometimes and they are always in by bed time :)

20. tashax

tashax PetForums VIP

I have a half and half lot, Georgie, Beth,Tractor Tom, Tula, Trixiebell,and Pompadour go out. They are very outdoor 'savvy' cats and my garden is pretty secure and they cant get out on the front from the back (except Tom who is a modern day Houdini) they rarely stay out for longer than an hour and during the winter hardly go out at all. Frankie, Cowlick, Dot, Jieger, Ellie and Ford dont go out at all. They have never wanted to and are very content to climb curtains instead of trees :D Its a decision only you as an owner can make, tbh if i tried keeping all 12 in there would be murder (me in my sleep most probably) Ellie has a chronic skin problem and in the summer i will sit in the garden for 10 mins so she can get some sun which seems to help her skin but she is at the door to go in before i am.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice