UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I know I am a new person here on this forum, but I figured this group would understand where I am coming from.

I have been nursing my elderly Siamese through a variety of health issues for years now. Lately she was diagnosed with cancer and some other related issues.

I have been feeding her through a syringe for over five weeks, giving her a variety of medications, and trying everything the vet and I know to save her. I finally realized we are out of options. She is a mere shadow of her former self and the only thing keeping her together is what I syringe feed her and the pain meds I give her.

After a long heart-to-heart with my (excellent) Vet, I decided to put my beloved kitty down this Friday morning. In my mind I know it's the right decision, but I have so much pain from the idea of putting her down. I find myself welling up with tears when I think about her, I am not sleeping well, and so sad I can barely stand it. She is the sweetest and most gentle creature you could ever meet, and putting her down is about the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

I am not a weak person. I have been a police officer, a jet pilot, and always been able to soldier through all things. For whatever reason I have really broken down of my kitty.

In the past 3 1/2 years my Mother passed away due to cancer, my brother died of a heart attack, and my Father passed away due to a variety of issues. I guess the cumulative loss has finally worn me down, and the impending loss of this kitty is killing me.

I have already dug her grave, I have a tombstone with her name on it, and I have an early morning appointment on Friday with the Vet.

I guess what I am looking for is confirmation that I am not totally nuts! (maybe a little nuts!) I am open to whatever all of you on the forum have to say of advice you have to offer.

Thanks in advance.

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
I'm so, so sorry to read this :( I send you lots of love at this difficult time (((hugs!)))

And no, you're not at all nuts, it really is one of the most traumatic- but also the most loving- decisions you can ever make.

When we decided to have my old girl, Molly, put to sleep (she was a Cancer victim, too), I cried until there were no tears left. After she died, the pain eased slightly- as odd as it sounds- because I knew I had made the right decision and she was free from pain.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, it sounds like you've had a truly awful couple of years :( I'll be thinking of you on Friday- enjoy your time together tomorrow and do not hesitate to use the forum, we all understand, sadly xXx

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I dont know what to say, it is such a a difficult desicion that I know I won´t be able to make and especial for such a loved companion. You have tried really hard to keep her by your side. How old is she?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much. Your words are very comforting to me right now. I do hope that once she has passed on she and I will both be relieved.

I have never been a very religious person, but I find my self searching for "will I see my cat again in Heaven," and I am amazed at the amount of people who have similar wants. I do hope that someday the Puma and I will be reunited.

Thank you for your thoughts on Friday. I plan to swaddle her in her favorite blanket when I take her to the vet. I have quite a bit of pain meds left, so I will give her a strong dose early in the AM. Maybe it's selfish of me, but I don't want her to be very cognizant of the whole process. If I can avoid her experiencing the normal stress of "going to the vet" I think it will be easier on both of us.

I have lost pets before, but I have never had to put one down--especially one I have cared for so intensely and for so long.

I wish I could talk to her for just a couple of minutes to tell her how much I love her, and why this is happening.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know what to say, it is such a a difficult desicion that I know I won´t be able to make and especial for such a loved companion. You have tried really hard to keep her by your side. How old is she?
Thanks Merlin.

We don't know how old she really is, as we inherited her when my Aunt passed away about four years ago. the vet estimates her physical age at 16 or so, and I know she is at least 13. So, I take comfort in that she has had a long life. I like to think the last few years with us have been loving and stable for her.

Her overall health was manageable until the damn cancer came and put her in this spriral.

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
I know how you feel..
We seem to be able to cope with our loss and grief, be there for our relatives, and we find comfort with out beloved cat. But when the cat's time is drawing near, we suddenly realize we are going to lose our closest, dearest and most trusted friend, the one we have relied on all this time to help us pull through.

But there is one thing you must remember.....
You are not putting her down, you are freeing her.
Cats are truly spiritual beings, and she will be grateful for all the love and care you have given her, and for this final act of love and selflessness in releasing her from her poor tormented body.

It is heartwrenching, especially when you have to let go the one creature that has supported you and helped you get though the terrible losses you suffered recently. But you know you are doing her a favour, and you will feel her love and gratitude, not just when she is going on her final journey, but aferwards.

She will be around to comfort you, even though she is no longer there as a physical presence.

And God asked the feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, you know I am most able
To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel,
But I must come slowly
For my human friends are troubled.
For, you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand, asked God
That you'll never leave them?
That your souls are intertwined for all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is...forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat.
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them.
I just am...forever and ever and ever.

(--Author Unknown--)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
That's so sad. I just looked at your profile and your little Siamese cat does look a beauty! So sorry to hear that she is being put to sleep on Friday. Its the kindest thing you can do for her. If she really doesn't have a quality of life now what you are doing is the ultimate loving gesture to send her on her way to Rainbow Bridge x

She'll never be forgotten and there will always be a special place in your heart for her.

·
7,885 Posts
Thank you so much. Your words are very comforting to me right now. I do hope that once she has passed on she and I will both be relieved.

I have never been a very religious person, but I find my self searching for "will I see my cat again in Heaven," and I am amazed at the amount of people who have similar wants. I do hope that someday the Puma and I will be reunited.

Thank you for your thoughts on Friday. I plan to swaddle her in her favorite blanket when I take her to the vet. I have quite a bit of pain meds left, so I will give her a strong dose early in the AM. Maybe it's selfish of me, but I don't want her to be very cognizant of the whole process. If I can avoid her experiencing the normal stress of "going to the vet" I think it will be easier on both of us.

I have lost pets before, but I have never had to put one down--especially one I have cared for so intensely and for so long.

I wish I could talk to her for just a couple of minutes to tell her how much I love her, and why this is happening.
Your intentions are so immensely touching, they've brought tears to my eyes. It's coming up to Molly's death anniversary and this has brought it all back to me. It's a heartbreaking and truly painful experience, but you will meet her again in time, I promise.

Puma will cross the bridge knowing she is adored, she is one of the lucky ones.

xX

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
I am so sorry for your sad situation.
having nursed and lost two of my dearest cats last year, I can tell you that the terror of the act itself, and the pain of living without them....are both easier to deal with than the agony of watching them suffer day by day.
be strong for her, she will thank you for the merciful release from a body that no longer works for her

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all so much. Your words are very comforting.

I have already cried more for my kitty then I have for my Mother, Father, and Brother combined..... why, I have no idea. I don't know that I have ever cried this hard in my life for anything or anyone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your intentions are so immensely touching, they've brought tears to my eyes. It's coming up to Molly's death anniversary and this has brought it all back to me. It's a heartbreaking and truly painful experience, but you will meet her again in time, I promise.

Puma will cross the bridge knowing she is adored, she is one of the lucky ones.

xX
Thank you so much. I'm sorry to dig up pain of losing your Molly. I hope Molly and Puma will meet Friday. Perhaps Molly can show Puma the ropes and the way across the bridge.

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this about your beloved cat :(

It's one of the hardest decision we make as pet owners, but it's one of the kindest. She will no longer be in pain and will be at peace.

I still miss and love my Tim, he was pts in December 2008 :( I talk to him and look at his photos, they make me cry and make me smile too :)

Make tomorrow a special day for you both.

I will be thinking of you both on Friday (((hugs))) xx

Remember, we are here for you.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Most of us on here have sadly faced this situation at some time or other and it is so hard but I think deep down you do know when the time has come. Is there any way you could ask your vet for a house visit rather than have to take her to the surgery?

If it is of any comfort it is very very quick and seemingly painless; all the pain is that left behind in our grief.

You are doing the very best for your much loved companion and do feel free to come on here and share your feelings and memories. She will never truly have left you whilst you carry her memory in your heart.

·
7,885 Posts
Thank you so much. I'm sorry to dig up pain of losing your Molly. I hope Molly and Puma will meet Friday. Perhaps Molly can show Puma the ropes and the way across the bridge.
I'm sure Molly will be waiting for her, she will show her how to chase butterflies in the sunshine :)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I am so sorry that you're having to make this heartbreaking decision but I think you k ow deep down its the right one. One of the hardest things in life is saying goodbye and letting go. Your kitty will be with you always in your heart. I will be thinking about you on Friday ((((hugs))))

·
7,885 Posts
I am so sorry for your sad situation.
having nursed and lost two of my dearest cats last year, I can tell you that the terror of the act itself, and the pain of living without them....are both easier to deal with than the agony of watching them suffer day by day.
be strong for her, she will thank you for the merciful release from a body that no longer works for her
Such beautiful words!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most of us on here have sadly faced this situation at some time or other and it is so hard but I think deep down you do know when the time has come. Is there any way you could ask your vet for a house visit rather than have to take her to the surgery?

If it is of any comfort it is very very quick and seemingly painless; all the pain is that left behind in our grief.

You are doing the very best for your much loved companion and do feel free to come on here and share your feelings and memories. She will never truly have left you whilst you carry her memory in your heart.
I hadn't even thought of that. The vet is coming in extra early for the Puma, which I appreciate. I planned on having her so stoned with pain meds she won't know what's going on...... I wish I could be the same way!

I will swaddle her with her favorite blanket on the way in, and on the way back home. I will bury her with her blanket and encase the grave in concrete to keep the animals away (a huge concern for me).

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.