Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I am so annoyed. The poor dog is dying!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by srhdufe, Jun 30, 2010.

1. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

My sis in law (ish) has a young dog (6 months ish, Akita type)

Anyways....

She took him onto the field the other day and was there for a few hours with him, making him chase his ball and run round. She didnt take any water for him and when they got home she tied him up in the garden in the hot sunshine. His bowl of water and his food bowl are in the kitchen and he had no access to them as the back door was shut :mad:

The poor thing hasnt been eating or drinking since, so she took him to the PDSA this afternoon. They put him on a drip and have given him some anti-biotics. They said that he needs to stay on the drip for a good few hours. It's really not looking good for him. The poor dog is dying :crying:

I really dont know what to say to her. I know what i want to say to her but that will cause a hell of a lot of trouble if you catch my drift :rolleyes:

If he pulls through and goes home with her then i am going to report them as she shouldnt have animals. Should i report her anyway? What do you guys think?? :confused::

2. jon bda

jon bda Guest

As horrible as it sounds to say it, it doesn't seem like she has a shred of common sense about her. As for reporting her, could you maybe get in touch and ask for someone from the PDSA to take her to one side and give her a damn good talking too assuming the hound pulls through?. If the poor thing does pass, go with your feelings...

3. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Just as i was writing this thread she text me to say that she has brought him home

He has to have rice and water for tea and she has to give him water every hour (whats betting that it gets "forgotten" during the night :rolleyes:)

She has to take him back first thing in the morning for the vet to check him over again and to give him a bit more meds. He also has to have an ultrasound on his stomach

4. PRoviding the vet gets teh vital fluids into the dog quickly then it should be OK, I am assuming there has been no major damage to organs .

The owner needs whipping though!!

5. rona

rona Guest

If you have proof, report it

6. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Warn her that if she doesn't look after it now you will report her...family or not.
    Cruelty to a dog is more important than a family row.

7. I wouldn't give her a second chance myself! the next time it could be fatal!
    An official warning may carry more clout! That said I doubt very much they will do anything seeing as the dog was treated!

8. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Why on earth is she tying the dog in the garden for hours on end in this heat or indeed at all and denying him water.... It's just common sense surely that dogs should always be provided with a bowl of water.

I think you need to have a firm talking to her, educating more than anything it would seem, the dog has been through enough already and doesn't deserve anymore of the same.

Reporting her is a last resort but shouldn't be ruled out. This dogs welfare has to come first. Glad he has managed to recover.

9. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Oh hun, what a situation!

She is family. Yes it was wrong of her, yes she needs to be told that was totally unacceptable, but I take it she told the PDSA what happened. So if they havent done anything then I dont know what else you can do. Perhaps you need to talk to her. As family she might take it in, especially if you tell her that if she ever does that again you will do something. But a warning to her first would be better hun. But then you know your own family. What would be best for your sis in law and you? At the end of the day its you that needs to live with the consequences afterwards not us!

10. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

I'm glad the pooch is ok, at least she had the common sense to take him to a vety, shame she didn't exercise that common sense earlier

Personally family or not i'd report it, What if the dog ended up dead? you'd feel as guilty as hell.... What if there's another incident that ends up fatal :( How would you feel? What if it were a neighbours dog? or someone elses other than family? The dog deserves someone looking out for him. Max hates the heat, he always stays in the shade, it must of been torture for this poor doggy, not being able to have the most basic need! not acceptable in these temperatures or not being able to find himself shade.

I'd ring her every hour on the hour to make sure she gives her dog water. Sorry but there is no excuse for what she did :(

11. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

I would hope the PDSA reported her. Wicked cow, I can't begin to imagine how bad that poor dog felt in this heat with that sort of treatment (or lack of any treatment actually).

12. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

The vet has diagnosed him with Gastroenteritis now :frown:

13. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hi since she is family i would try talking to her 1st if she doesnt listen tell her you will report her maybe scare her into doing right thing :)

14. love cats

love cats PetForums Junior

poor dog would be better away from her :(

15. danielled

danielled Guest

The poor dog:( I would report her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice