Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I am so angry and upset

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Maz&Oozy, May 18, 2010.

1. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

I took my baby to be groomed and clipped today at the parlor ive used before, but somehow during the few hours he was there they have hurt him, when I picked him up with my daughter they brought him to me and popped him on counter, he was wearing a pink bow which was bit odd as eeer he's a boy and they didnt do that before, so we lol'd about it (did look cute and so does he lovely cut) and then from there we carried him to car, he sat on daughters knee for the 10 min journey home, we carried him inside popped him down for a treat and he coudnt stand, when he walked it was with a serious limp to back leg, i phoned vet and they had a app for 30 mins later, its 5 mins from the house, so I then phone the parlor, explained what id found said I wasnt happy, they sad 2 of them had been involved in his trim, 1 holding and 1 cutting as he was miss behaving, now Oozy is norm good and 6 weeks ago the owner did his cut etc on her own and praised him for being so good, I said was going to vet and would phone them when back.

Vet aid he has a twisted knee which is swollen and most likely happened when being trimmed, Oozy has had a pain killing/anti inflam injection and on pain killing tablets also good anti inflam's too. He has to go back friday morning, before if worse or no better, plus his snip op friday may now have to be cancelled, which apart from anything else mucks hubby up who's taken time off, which isnt easy he works for the banks in London keeping the computers running.

I phoned the parlor back when home, theyve said sorry (im sure they new he was hurt before I left, why say sorry which is tandermount to admitting your in wrong) and theyve agreed to pay vet's bills, which hadnt even asked them to do, not saying wasnt going to but they offered, im also seeing the owner tomorrow.

Im so angry right now with them, fuming and I feel a bad mum for letting someone hurt my Oozy, I keep crying I feel so bad, I know its not my fault and daughter and hubby say same thing but doesnt stop me feeling terrible, I took jim there, they were ok last time.

Littleun is curled up in his bed sleeping which is good as he must rest as much as can no running or walks, thats gonna be hard he's a pup :(

He wont be going back and now need to find someone who will do him at my house, id rather that so can be there, gawd knows how to find someone who does home visits.

what a day!! :(

(sorry for any typos, I was crying a bit so might made few mistakes)

2. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Thats so bad they should of said that something had happened when you picked him up, sorry hope he gets better soon poor little puppy

3. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Oh no, im so sorry to hear this - poor Oozy :( I can imagine how you feel...and I know its not much consolation looking at your poor baby, but you mustn't feel bad about yourself, its not your fault and you couldnt have known. I really hope he is all ok and heals quick - pups are suprisingly robust things, so lets hope he is back to normal asap.

On a more serious note, I would strongly suggest making sure you get something officially showing the parlour are paying for your vets bills (even maybe a letter to you to confirm they will pay - perhaps you could even write a letter or email to them stating your concern etc to which they can reply?) - this will in itself be showing they are admiting that they did something wrong. The main reason for this would be if there was any ongoing treatment/any problems further down the line (god forbid but you have to think of these things), then you could show that they were admitting fault and so they would have to accept liability for any further costs of treatment too. They have (or hopefully have) insurance for this kind of thing too.

4. miti999

miti999 PetForums Senior

I'm very sorry to hear about this. It must be very upsetting indeed! I know I would be furious. :mad:

I had a similar experience at a grooming parlour once. They managed to nick my little dog under his neck with their cutters which became infected so trip to the vets and antibiotics needed etc. Apart from the upset, it turned out an expensive hair cut! :eek: I didn't use them again either.

What happened to your little one is more serious. At least they have offered to pay vet bills which you will obviously take them up on. Makes you wonder what sort of staff they are employing. Probably trainees as they're cheaper to employ (no offence to trainees mind!)

I am thinking about learning to do it myself which would make financial sense for me. My local course is £160 which I think is quite a lot. But perhaps someone will tell me different.

I hope Oozy is better very soon, poor little thing.

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

poor Ozzy and poor you.
    I hope it's nothing to serious and he's as right as rain very soon.
    You must not blame yourself, easier said than done.
    A home grooming service sounds like a good wa forward.
    Some grat advice from katiefranke as well.

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:mad: I can't believe they let you take him knowing he was injured!! They obviously knew something happened otherwise why on earth are they willing to pay the bills so easily? This is exactly why I clip Sidney myself, I don't trust anyone else to care for him properly.

I really hope Ozzy will be okay and he's not too scared next time he gets clipped.

7. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

first of all , You are not a bad mum . How can u possibly have known what that t...ts will do to him?!

second , not only u see the owner But I would find out who the hell did the trim and hold him and seriously do threaten them with suing ( am not a fun of law suits but then again what is going to be next? another poor doggy killed as it happen couple weeks ago in Pets at home in sheffield with that dog when he was forgotten in the dryer and he died )

I would seriously ask that idiots to be sacked and see how bloody hard is to get a job on this days and not to be let to come closer to any other animal

8. Maz&Oozy

1st thanks everyone for your lovely comments and also all the info, at moment im sort of one tracked to his pain and your all bringing such good info and advise, I hadnt thought of alot as all I can think is poor pup, so thanks so much everyone your all brilliant.

Thank you and thanks for the great info I will send a email now to them and your right tho pup fully insured I do have to think about what cud happen, hadn't thought of that, thanks again, at moment so upset sort of blinkered and just seeing red at them and upset for Oozy, so this is great, cheers!!

:)

Thanks

and yea they could be trainee's the owner who did Oozy the 1st time was awesome and coudnt praise Oozy enough saying he was good

You know you have a point, maybe I will look into that too, so can do my lad myself, I have 3 days a week could train and evening and hey in long run alot cheaper, as Oozy needs doing every 6 weeks and we are planning to get another when Oozy is about 1 year to 18 months old, so would save a fortune in long run and be alot safer for my pup

Thanks hun and I agree I cant believe they didnt tell me, I mean heck I would have been upset but would have rung vet and gone straight to him, luckily I live 10 mins from Groomers and 5 from Vets and soon as we saw he was injured phoned vet and they said come straight up, my vets are fab!!

and yea 1st time he went the lady (owner) let him walk out to me, he was happy bouncy no signs of upset, this time the girl put him on counter and he was so quiet, I thought he was just tired now realise it was cos he was upset and hurt. This may have really put him of going to a groomers, I may have to do him myself if cant find a home groomer, I really dont feel I could trust a parlor to do him now.

Thanks I know im not a bad mum but feel so bad for him

I am going down there tomoz and I assure you I will be saying alot and I want to know how this happened, I will NOT take any %^&* from them, we have now also seen that a bit of hair hasnt been trimmed underneath on the inside of damaged leg, we think maybe it happened when they were doing that, maybe holding leg out to far??? and thats why they didnt finish it, plus I said no clippers and he has def had his bits area clippered which also maybe could have freaked him, rest has been scissored like said. Im so angry.

9. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

They must have known he was hurt. Maybe he fell off the table or something. Do you think thats why they put the bow on him? So you wouldn't be looking at his legs???? How awful. :(

10. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Aww hun!! That is awful!! Thats probably why they put a bow on him to distract you from his injury!! Its good they are paying the vet bills, but it shouldn't of happened in the first place!! Poor doggy, hope he feels better soon xxxx

11. Maz&Oozy

Yea he could off and we have wondered if the bow was to distract us.

Thwy offered to pay the bills before I even said anything and yea we have wondered about the bow, bit odd putting a pink bow on a male dog and putting him on the counter to be collected, norm he is walked out.

12. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear whats happened, hope he's okay soon :(

I am not sticking up for the groomer at all, what they did was wrong and they should have informed you he'd been injured before you even picked him up. However, accidents do happen.

I work in a groomers with two very good professionals and from time to time, the dogs do get hurt and most of the time it is because the dog moved suddenly. I have seen this happen a few times when a dog has been fine for a little while and then all of a sudden, flips around to bite the scissors = bleeding gums/tongue, and you can't always react quick enough because the dog moves so suddenly.

Also, if the dog is being held, it is easy for them to try and pull the leg away and hurt themselves. We groomers do try our very best not to hurt the dogs as that's the last thing we want to do but sometimes these things just happen and it is nobody's fault and nothing to do with the groomer being bad, just an unfortunate accident.

I do think you should get as much as you can out of it and they totally should pay your vets bills, but I think suggestions of court cases and trying to have the groomer fired is a little farfetched and not very fair.

nicola1980 likes this.
  13. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

Agree, good post:thumbup:

14. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

completely agree. some dogs can be difficult to handle and accidents can and do happen. However, if I hurt a dog during grooming, I would totally tell the owner and would pay all vets bills. Owners know their dogs and will know if something has happened to their dog so by lying or not telling them, it makes you look bad.

15. Maz&Oozy

and

I 100% agree these things happen and Oozy is a pup, there were other dogs there anything could have made him jump, noise, barking etc, what peed me off and made me mad was they didnt tell me!! they hid it and brought him out a different way to normal, popping him on counter instead of walking him round my car was outside and they know id carry him out as didnt have his lead, just his seat belt lead, plus I could of been going on a car journey to a mates after collecting him and then found out when got there, meaning a long delay in getting to a vet and getting him treated, also he was with them for 3 hours when did it happen if it had been a while before they should have rung me. They must have known as they have said they are really sorry and offered to pay all the vets bills and never queried me saying he's been hurt, if they didnt know surely theyd ask questions.

If I had been told I would have upset but would have said let me go to vet sort Oozy first then we can deal with rest.

as it is Oozy is ok, hes walking with a limp and resting painkillers obviously helping and cross fingers it gets better quick, tho looks like def the op on friday will have to be rescheduled which is annoying but no choice.

16. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yep, some of them can be very very difficult - I come out of there looking like i've been in WW3 sometimes lol, never mind the dogs :eek6: we find Westies to be the worst for snapping, its always a bit of a groan when we've got a westie or two in pmsl

They are definately in the wrong for not telling you and obviously acting suspiciously as they knew he was limping. They were probably hoping it was just a temporary little ouch and would have gone away by the time he got home, which is very silly of them!

Gotta admit, at the one i'm at, we don't ring the owners if the dog has been injured but we always tell them when they pick the dog up. (unless its something serious obviously but i've never been there when anything that bad has happened, just the occasional nick on the tounge/paw with the clippers and scissors)

Sounds like a real beggar of a situation though, can your OH swap his day off for whenever it's rescheduled for?

#16 Tigerneko, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  17. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I am really sorry to hear this and can imagine how dreadful you and Oozy must feel.

I would definately say have a go yourself. It's not as difficult as you would imagine and once you start you soon get the hang of it. Heidi is a cross breed which makes it easier for me because there are no standards or expectations. I did a bit of research, decided what tools I would need and ordered them. Did a bit of googling for instructions and once I had few ideas, started v gently. Each time getting a bit more adventurous and now, I love it. Also saves a bit of cash.

I was going to use a groomer and our local one is a friend of my daughter in law with lots of satisfied customers - except the one that walked past and heard them smacking a dog. However justified and however many badly behaved pouches, that did it for me. My next thought was our local P@H. Their instore one has glass on all sides so customers get to see everything. That was a back up plan if I didnt master it - thankfully not necessary.

Hope Oozy is soon feeling better and so sorry he had to suffer, bless him x

18. Maz&Oozy

he has decided to not worry and spend the days with Oozy anyway, plus he deserves a day or 2 off, heck he work long hours and on 24hr call arghhh

and can see you point about ringing but still fuming about not being told and know you agree, but hopefully this will teach them to be honest and upfront, im sure the lady who owns the place wont be impressed, she seems very nice when I met her and ive heard nothing but good things said about her just shame she wasnt there today maybe woudn't have happened like this.

19. Maz&Oozy

thanks, he ok and sleeping on my lap and im looking into it now, ive used clippers before and done a bit of hair cutting in past on humans and tho he is a Shih Tzu ive no plans to show him so if not a A1 cut then not worries, heck it grows back, im looking at courses think might be a good spendout, nothing fancy just a small training course which will help :)

20. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Hey, how is Oozy doing today? Hope he is walking better now x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice