Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I am not sure what it is

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LadyRedLainey, Jun 24, 2009.

1. LadyRedLainey

LadyRedLainey PetForums VIP

Hiya

I was patting away at Jinxy, when i noticed this thing on his chin, it was like a sesame sead (like off of those sesame seed buns) and when i tried to take it off, i noticed it crawling about his fur!! i went and got his brush, and i have been brushing his coat, but i can not see it.

What would it have been? he is still rubbing his neck up against things and i keep checking his coat, but i can not see it.
    He was at the vets today, but was in his carry cage obviously.

I brush his coat every day, cause he likes it lol! purrs his little head off, and i never seen anything until today.

edit!
    sorry, i meant to say, it was the same colour of a sesame seed as well as size

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

[​IMG]

Look familiar?

It's a tick. Difficult little buggers to get rid of when attached.

3. LadyRedLainey

Nope, but i never seen it as close up, it was a different colour. It was moving about, so not stuck in yet, i keep brushing him, i have a flea collar on him also (i am about to search to see what flea's look like, but it must just be the 1 of them, cause i just can not find it.

Thanks for replying x

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

iD SAY MORE LIKELY TO BE A FLEA. AS TICKS NORMALLY PICKED UP IN UNDER GROWTH ETC. FRONTLINE WILL SORT OUT ANY FLEAS. DROP BEHIND NECT AREA. GOOD STUFF .

5. LadyRedLainey

6. LadyRedLainey

Thanks, i swear i feel bloomin useless lol! he is my first cat, and none of my parents dogs ever had flea's lol.
    I will need to get him weighed first, we asked to get some at pets at home, but they refused cause we did not know his weight, and could overdose on it.

7. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

fRONT LINE IS NORMALLY OK FOR CATS FROM 12 WEEKS I THINK THE DOSES ETC ARE ON THE BACK OF THE PACKET IT DOESNT GO BY WEIGHT BUT AGE RANGES. mY CAT WAS 12 WEEKS AND WE USED IT NO PROBS. dID ASK VET FIRST. LOL

8. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

If you have bathroom scales, use those. If he won't stand still then stand on it first without him & then stand on it with him.

9. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

If it ran fast its prob a flea .

vets will keep you right..;)

10. LadyRedLainey

Thank you both. It is digital scales i have to, i will see how it goes.
    I will try and get front line.

xx

11. LadyRedLainey

12. LadyRedLainey

God i am bloomin itchy now pmsl!!

13. Malaguti

Malaguti PetForums Senior

Hope you find out what it was!

Can't resist but share my stupidity on the subject. I was stroking Tigger the other day when I felt what I thought was a tick. Now I've never felt or seen a tick in my life so no idea why I was so sure. Anyway, as it was a sunday evening all I could do was scour the internet for tips on how to get it out.

Found a tip that said if you rub the tick in a circular motion (any direction) it will just come out (link here: How to remove a tick )

Soooo, there I was rubbing away on the 'tick' - it came away really easily. Was just about to follow the advice and put it in some alcohol to kill it off when i looked down and noticed what I was holding looked more like a dried up pea!!

It was one of those things that are like velcro and stick to everything - it was a plant thingy, not a tick :001_tt2: God, did I feel daft!!!! It's all tiggers fault for having thick fur :D

14. mollyismyworld

Elaine,

I use Stronghold on Piggy which covers everything...I buy it from the vet in packs of 3 and put it on the back of his neck religiously every 4 weeks.

It comes with a sticker to put on the calendar so u can't forget....u know Piglet is a house cat, but, as I have Molly too, I am over zealous with both of them.

Piggy has Stronghold, Molly has Frontline and Mibemax so they are both always covered.

The vet does insist on weighing them and I abide by everything I am advised as I wouldn't be a responsible owner if I didn't.

Jinxy is still young, and is outdoors too, so don't wait for fleas to get on him, get him a spot on...Frontline or Stronghold.

As for ticks, everyone on here is great for advise, but listen to your vet too. :)

I should add, touch wood, in 6 yrs using Stronghold, Piglet has never had fleas. worms, etc.....and Molly with Frontline and Milbemax has never either.

Trust the good stuff. xx

#15 mollyismyworld, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  15. LadyRedLainey

lol!!! that sounds like something i would have done hehe! glad to hear it was not a tick :D thanks for telling me about how to remove a tick, and also the link for it!

Thanks Keeley, i have a flea collar on him this now. I can not see any sign of flea's on him, poor wee thing has been brushed so much. I have brushed his coat over white paper and sprayed disinfectant on it, and there are no brown spots!! :D but i will get him treated just the same.

16. Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie PetForums Member

Sounds like a flea, except that most fleas are dark in colour and not sesame seed colour. Interesting!

Tapeworm segments can look like sesame seeds. They are usually seen near the anus but if your cat was grooming that area they could have gotten on the chin. Tapeworm segments aren't usually terribly mobile though but when they are really fresh they can wiggle a little.

Cats get tapeworms either from ingesting mice or from ingesting fleas so the flea treatment is a good idea. You may want to ask your vet for tapeworm treatment too just to be sure!

Dr. Marie.
    I am on the forum from time to time but if you need veterinary advice right away you can click here: www.askavetquestion.com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice