Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I am new to horse riding

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by peterlad, Dec 27, 2017.

1. peterlad

peterlad PetForums Newbie

Hi guys

I have started riding a horse these days! in fact, it is very enjoyable, but I am always afraid of falling down! how can I overcome this feeling? I used to feel such bad feeling when I was galloping at a desert place!

2. planete

planete PetForums Senior

Which country are you in? If you have riding schools where you are go and have some lessons. Getting on a horse and ending up at a gallop without first learning the basics would scare anybody! In fact you are jolly lucky not to have fallen off.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I agree.

Start with the basics, establishing balance and a good seat and hands.

Better for you and the horse's mouth and back.

planete and Wiz201 like this.
  4. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Most places will have you just staying in walk to establish balance and then you may start trotting.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. TooManyCats

TooManyCats PetForums Newbie

Best way to get over that fear: fall off! Obviously this depends on your age and agility (even then there are exceptions) but honestly, most of the time it’s about the same as falling over, especially in the early days of riding in walk and trot

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Ride as often as you can, in a controlled environment, with supervision.

With experience will come confidence and your fear of falling off will diminish.

I would avoid galloping until you are more experienced.

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Rather an odd opinion.

Tiggers likes this.
  8. TooManyCats

TooManyCats PetForums Newbie

I live pretty rural and spend most of my time messing about bareback; I’m not saying it’s right, I’m just saying you get used to it :)

9. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Nothing surpasses being taught to ride correctly. Balance, correct seat and understanding of the four paces of a horse builds confidence and understanding. Falling from a horse does not instill confidence if experienced early in the learning process.

Ringypie likes this.
  10. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Have to be honest with you I have grown up with horses my whole life,I ride really well but when I was learning to ride my Dad made me ride with no saddle he said you learn balance quicker without a saddle and I have to agree also he didn't want my feet getting stuck in the stirupps if I fell off,I can remember I must of been about 8 when I had a nasty fall I can remember my Dad telling me get back on and I refused I wasn't hurt but a lot of my family were there and I felt embaressed,no way was my Dad having any of it I was told firmly to get back on which I did with some apprehension so glad I did the worry of falling never worried me again.
    My daughter had one to one lessons with a professional rider she was petrified of falling and I could see she was holding back on her riding after she had a first fall she came on leaps and bounds ,
    When I ride now I ride with a saddle,but to me theres nothing better than taking your horse swimming in the sea Bareback.
    I know a lot of you will disagree with me but it's just my preferance:)

11. HorseLover101

HorseLover101 PetForums Newbie

Don’t be, as soon as you fall off once you’ll get used to it.

12. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

I absolutely agree with this!!

Tiggers likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice