Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I am looking to buy a small animal (rodent) what makes the best pets?

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by woodger, May 25, 2010.

1. woodger

woodger PetForums Newbie

that is all.

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Do you want something to look at or something that's happy for cuddles and to be petted?

3. woodger

woodger PetForums Newbie

bit of both

4. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

How about a few rats? Happy to snuggle, come in different colours and are entertaining to watch apparently

5. woodger

woodger PetForums Newbie

well yer im thinking either rats gerbils or hamsters? I have a budget of about £100, I need them to not need attention because im busy a lot but then not mind being picked up.

6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I have 3 rats, they are great pets. they only need my attention in the evenings. i have them out for an hour each night for free range and handling.

it cost me around £200 to set up for the cage and everything. the cage alone cost me £100.

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Hamsters are good low maintenance pets and if you get a syrian can be good at being handled

8. woodger

woodger PetForums Newbie

How much did syrians cost to set up? thanks :)

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

The hamster itself isn't too much £10-15 maybe. If you build a bin cage for it very cheap. Less than £100 I would guess

10. chrissielk

chrissielk PetForums Member

well sometimes you can get rats ect on freeads ect or a resuce may just ask for donation. I have a rat cage for sell asking 70 for it is second hand but brill condtion. i'm after quick sell so may let it go cheaper.:lol:

Can send pictures ect or can view but i'm in southampton so depends where you are.

11. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

My bin cage is a storage one from Asda.. I think it was 3 quid with a plastic lid.. My mums OH has cut nearly all the top out and left the outsides that sit round the tub bit.. he has attached tiny squared mesh stuff.. suitable for the furries.. using somesort of cable tie.. he has done a great job.. I reckon that cost about a fiver and then I have but a wheel on a stand £3.35 and have attached a water bottle..lol hammies love it.. plenty of air and I know they cant get out..lol unless my kids forget to put the lid on.. In size its as big as my cambridge... Hope that helps...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice