Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I am honestly so ashamed of myself HELP me

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Bourbonandpumpkin, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Bourbonandpumpkin

Bourbonandpumpkin PetForums Junior

hi everyone, long time no see.
    I feel like a failure and that I am such a bad pet owner. My animals are in huge cages. My hamster in a detolf and my gerbils in a large living world. But I have haven't cleaned them in 2-3 months I usually try to spot clean maybe every few days but I usually forget. Sometimes I even forget to give my animals fresh water everyday! I have left the same water for like 4 days once... I don't have a lot of time to play with my animals and I am so upset. I am literally crying right now. I feel like someone else would probably take care of them better and I am such a horrible person. Please tell me someone else has felt this way. Maybe I should give them all away to some else☹️

2. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

What causes you to forget?

Maybe rather then giving them away, use this guilty feeling to do better?

If you need to set yourself a reminder alarm or something to check food and water each day, I always give fresh food and water every day so if you are not currently giving fresh food daily, start then you won't forget water either.

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It's a shame you feel this way, but you are not taking care of your animals.

Be honest with yourself. If you're not going to up your game, then find them good homes elsewhere and don't get any more.

You could have cleaned out a cage whilst you've been posting on here.

Tiggers, Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

If you have a calendar on your phone or computer you can add food and water to it and 'repeat daily' with an alert to remind you. Same goes for cleaning.
    If you can't do this is there someone else that can tell you to do it?
    Sadly if you can't sort this out then I would say be fair to your pets and re-home them.

Jazzy likes this.
  5. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi i love Animals too much

Hamsters and other small animals with exeptionaly large cages can be left this long without the cage getting unclean at all.
    Many owners only have to clean cages every month or so, but in larger cages 2 months is also normal. For me I don't have huge cages, just bin cages and an alexander for my hams so I clean every few weeks. When the cage looks or smells unclean in anyway, you clean it. You spot clean every day or two too keep on top of things ;)
    Small animals often get stressed when all their surroundings change and their are new hides, toys and bedding and nesting materiel doesn't smell familiar.

I'd stick to cleaning the cages every few weeks if I were you though, just to be safe x
    Though i would be a worried about the water, make sure to change it. Use sticky notes, phone reminders and other ways to remind yourself. :)

If you feel you can't care for them well enough, I'd consider re-homing, but keep on top of your animals care first to avoid a stressful change of environment, but if it doesn't happen..

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Bourbonandpumpkin

Bourbonandpumpkin PetForums Junior

Ok I am now upping my game! I told myself last night that from now on I am going to look after my animals the best I can I will top up there water every morning give them fresh food and then spot clean after school then every month I will clean there cages. So tonight I am going to clean as much as I can and if u don’t clean them all they will be cleaned this weekend. Setting up reminders now!

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Unless you have a genuine reason for struggling with this then just get a grip and put your animal’s needs before your own, frankly.

Before you have breakfast and a drink in the morning, make sure they have fresh water and food. They are relying on you totally.

Make a schedule for cleaning too and tick off when it’s done to keep track.

If you can’t cope then rehome them via a reputable rescue.

8. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

I'm surprised that you find cleaning and caring for your animals such daunting tasks. If you feel this way about their husbandry, you need to rethink wether having pets is really for you.

9. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

I have a multi pet household, work full time, and have a husband and house to see to. I have to make time to see to all my animals before myself and my needs.

Jazzy likes this.
  10. Laorzymac

Laorzymac PetForums Newbie

Don't beat yourself up so much!

They haven't been without water, and they live in big cages, and have an owner who clearly cares! I know gerbils are relatively clean and don't need so much cleaning out. Also remember other things like giving them enough bedding as they like to dig.

Of course you can and will do better, but they're lucky to have large cages and an owner committed to them.

11. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

Are you coping ok with the other aspects of your life, or are there things there too that you can't get motivated to do/keep putting off?

I only ask because one of the symptoms of depression is not getting round to doing things, even if you know they are vital.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice