Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I am FUMING

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Patterdale_lover, May 11, 2010.

1. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Walking Bess today, and as many of you may know Bess is an unsure dog.

Anyway

Walking along i see two labradors in the distance heading our way. I recall Bess put her on her lead and proceed walking. The woman started recalling her dogs when we were in sight however gave up after the two labs clocked us and steam rolled our way. I stood in front of Bess and said clearly and sharply STOP. With my hand out. They stopped but only to figure out how to get round next thing i know both have gone different directions met up around the back of me and puncing on Bess. Bess is barking and growling and yelping. So i grab the nearest one by the scruff. yanked it off. This woman shouts "oh thats their way of playing" Ignoring her i finally reached bess and picked her up out of harms way. She goes "why are you acting like their vicious" I said "My dog is unsure of herself and does NOT need unruly dogs jumping all over her" She said "My dogs are far from unruly" at this moment one of the labs jumped up and nipped Bess's back leg, Bess yelped turned to bite the dog but ended up accidentally catching my face. I said " Look, i see them things off lead around here again i wont just pull them off by the scruff" i had no apology nothing. SOME PEOPLE :mad:

2. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

sounds like typical lab behaviour,over friendly but none aggressive as a rule,
    cant you get your dog to classes/meets to learn how to deal in these situations,lifting her out of harms way as you put it only makes things far worse

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Mika is very like hon. fine with dogs but very unsure at the same time. today he met a cross bc/akita and he played with him for a little while but then the other dog just got a little too excited and made mika rather nervous. little guy jumped on me as if to say 'pick me up'. didn't want to do that though because i would be praising the fear instead i just put him on a lead and luckily the other dog's owner was a sensible one and put her dog on the lead too, and mika was fine.

that owner you met was a numpty and rather ignorant. i hate people like that.

4. Patterdale_lover

I have 4 labs myself.
    And no this was not normal behaviour. They had tails directly up and hackles slightly raised. My dog is 3 years 11 mnths. I got her at 7 months so nervous she would wet herself at strangers. She has come a long long way. She is fine with calm and well trained obedient dogs, normal dogs. These dogs were out of control.

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

the other owner shouldn't have allowed her dogs to run up to Bess as you had put her on a lead. if dogs can't be recalled away from onlead dogs, they shouldn't be let off lead IMO.

i suppose you know that picking Bess up isn't ideal as it praises her fear but as you were meeting an ignorant owner who wasn't getting her dogs away, I suppose there wasn't much else you could do in that situation.

6. Patterdale_lover

Yeah i know
    and i shouldnt of picked her up. But i was so worried that they were going to undo EVERYTHING i had worked so hard for they had her on her back on the floor :(

7. Patterdale_lover

My thinking exactly

8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I'd of put a knee to the stomach of the idiot lab as it bounced up and you can bet your life he wouldn't have bounced at Bess again. :mad: No excuses the lab owner is 100% in the wrong.

Have to disagree, I've met a number of aggressive labs more than I've met nice one's actually and to pretend that their thuggish behaviour is just high spirits or 'typical' lab is dangerous. They are powerful dogs with little understanding of the correct level acceptable behaviour, mostly bought on my owners who do not understand or read their dogs behaviour. Too many have the image of the nice but dim soft old lab and I'm afraid that isn't quiet so common these days, or certainly not so in my experience.

I've picked up my JRT before now, I know it's wrong but I'd rather put myself between badly behaved thug dogs like those than risk the rest of my pack deciding to protect their smaller pal. I doubt idiot lab owner would find it very funny if her 'only playing' dogs were taught some manners by a few dogs who know the difference between playing and bad manners. :lol:

#8 JSR, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
    Patterdale_lover likes this.
  9. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

so sorry to hear that - its so frustrating when ignorant people can undo all your hard work :( fingers crossed though this was just one incident and it wont be too much of a set back.

to be honest, even if that was just their way of saying hello, who cares, thats not the point! you quite clearly called your dog back and put her on lead, so this should have been enough of a signal to the other owner to show that you didnt want to meet them for whatever reason - it should have been enough, but unfortunately a lot of people just have no clue and dont realise why it is so important.

10. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

mika met a couple of dogs that did the exact same thing to him - and yes i will admit i did pick him up then but then i set him down the minute we were a few feet away from the dogs.

11. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

The times I have heard ONLY PLAYING thats just a cop out,I have met some very grotty labs in fact fostered one that could be very nasty.If any of my boys dont come back to recall then they stay on a long lead.Hope your girl is none the worse for her ordeal

12. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

More then aggressive I find that most young labs are a menace (in the nicest possible way), I have to run if I hear there is a lab under the age of 18 months around. They are just bulls in a china shop and for the most part have zero manners. I have been told several times that they mature much later then same size dogs, but they have a lot of strength and eagerness and very hardly take no for an answer which causes them to get in trouble.

She should have at least restrained her dogs when they were still hovering around you, she is clearly oblivious to her own dogs as they would at the very least still be fixated on your girl, you would better avoid her if you were unlucky enough to meet her again.

It is always the same problem isn't it? You try hard to get your dog to get more confident only to have it all spoiled by the ignorant ones. My sympathy :D

13. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

I hope it hasn't set her back too far. I am actually rather wary of labs, they can be very pushy with their weight. There are allot around here, and almost all of them have little recall, which does worry me.

She was totally in the wrong hun, an i hope that you don't meet with them again.

14. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I totally agree with this, having a Lab myself.
    He is 23 months old and is still a menace.
    He is getting a little better as he gets older, but yeah, definately has a lot of strength and eagerness.

15. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i hope bess is ok, and hows your face? hope its not too bad.

i think you acted really well and were more restraint than i would have been with the lab owner :eek:

16. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I always liked Labs. until we had Amber, the number of times she had been attack or they have rough played has put me off the breed.

17. Patterdale_lover

yes i was very glad it was just me and bess my dogs would have and have done laid into them if they attack a member of the pack :eek: i repped you btw :D

Yes i am ALWAYS aware of other dogs on the lead as there is always a reason. so always put mine back on

Yes, i agree totally i wouldn't let a dog offlead if it had crap recall.

I know you would have thought she would have at least held their collars but no she stood there like a numpty!

She doesn't live in the village so hopefully she was just a one off. Bess is okay now still a bit shook up though and on edge, she'll be okay i think

Yep our young pups are the same. Its a bugger tryna get them steady haha!

My face is fine i think she only caught it a little bit cos there is only a red mark no grazing. Yeah i had to bite my tongue very hard :mad:

I do love labs and own four of them myself but its such a shame to see narrow minded people thinking they will come already trained and docile :(

18. leashedForLife

actually, hun, U can only *reinforce* a behavior -
    so had she been on her hind-legs scratching at Ur legs to be picked-up,
    then picking her up is reinforcing.
    simply picking her up to be out of harms way is not OTOH reinforcing.

it DOES tho, dangerously tend to lure the dogs upward, onto her dangling legs -
    silly as it sounds, if she is small enuf, carrying her ACROSS Ur shoulders as a shepherd would carry a lamb,
    is safer - if her legs are long-enuf, U can gather them in one hand, WITH fingers between each leg/wrist -
    ** squeezing her legs/wrists directly together is painful, as there is little if any padding there - its Bone on Bone,
    with skin between! ** and she will then struggle.

practice the over-the-shoulders thing till she is comfy with it, BEFORE another incident like this -
    getting her behind U on the ground, AGAINST a solid ? something? - wall, fence, tree trunk, car, anything! -
    is also a good option if shes too big for across the shoulders.
    U in the front, the solid object is behind her, and shes the sandwich-filling in the middle.

the owner was a complete prat, :mad: and i would ask the local ACC if there have been similar incidents -
    i WOULD report this, with a description of the owner + both dogs (M, F, fat, slim, collar? harness?, F owner approx so tall,
    blonde/ black /Asian / other...)
    if there are further incidents, they need PRECEDENT to act.

hopefully the next time, she will have both dogs on Long-Lines! ;) but i would not bet on it...
    all my best,
    --- terry

19. leashedForLife

a *suzanne clothier* article -
    a famous classic...
    www.nesr.info/images-english-shepherd/He-just-wants-to-say-hi.pdf
    requires (free) adobe-acrobat to open the PDF

“He Just Wants To Say Hi” – Why Walking Your Dog Off Leash Is Not Smart | Dog Reflections
    the author is referring to letting dogs run in the street, in NO-dogs areas, in LEASH-only areas (like the beach), etc -
    owners who bike-ride along the path while their dogs sh*t, cock a leg on cars or pantslegs, chase balls during GAMES not their own,
    and otherwise make nuisances of themselves, are a PITA.
    they make no friends for dogs by running up to a dog behind their own home-fence and barking furiously, then running after *mom or dad*. :thumbdown:

20. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

My dog is very reactive to other dogs when he's on the lead (and occasionally off, but that's another story :rolleyes: )

I have found what tends to work well, when off-lead dogs start to run up to him, I block him behind me as best I can, but stare at the oncoming dog, in the eyes if poss, perhaps with one hand out like you did, and say to it in a loud voice: "You'll get shouted at by my dog, if you come any closer!!"

Which is usually enough for the owner to call the dog back..... without any direct confrontation, or the stupid game of ping-pong you often get when you ask the owner to call off their dogs only to get the reply: "Oh he's OK!" and before you can reply: "Well mine ISN'T!" ....a whole doggy ding-dong has started.

It's very difficult to convey to the owner of an offlead dog that yours might kick off - in the very short time you have before your dog erupts - but often addressing the oncoming dog in a stern tone like that, in earshot of its owner has the desired effect.

I feel addressing the oncoming dog directly will tend to stop it faster or give it a few doubts.... I may be wrong, but I also feel possibly I might also be showing my dog I can control these situations.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice