Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I’m lost and confused

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by JdotNewcomb, Jan 15, 2018.

1. JdotNewcomb

JdotNewcomb PetForums Newbie

I’m not sure if anyone will even reply to this, but I’m just looking for closure, as the vet couldn’t figure out what happened.

But I had a 3year old Lhasa Apso named Minnie. The weekend before Xmas, we noticed she wouldn’t eat. So we took her to the Emergency Vet. Her white blood cell count was kinda high and she wasn’t spayed so they suspected it was pyometra(infection of the uterus). So I went and got a second opinion at her normal vet and they did more blood work and things looked fine. So we kept her on antibiotics to kill any infection she was having, or that we thought she was having. Fast forward a couple weeks and she seems to be getting better. We’re finally getting her to eat some, and she’s drinking water by herself now. I got home from work last Friday, and let her outside. She peed and drank water. When she got inside she threw up everything she ate the night before. So I rushed her to the vet and they did more blood work. While at the vet she drank more water but threw up again. They suspected pyometra once again so I had them do surgery to remove the uterus. I get a phone call that night saying that when they opened her up, her uterus was fine, but 90% of her small intestines were black and had no blood flow. They didn’t expect her to make it thru surgery but she did. But unfortunately we had to put her down. The surgeon said she had 0% of living. That she’d die in a few days. She said in 20 years she’d never seen anything like it. I’ve been looking up things since it happened but I can’t find anything that gives me any sort of closure on what it could’ve been. I just need to know that she didn’t die Bc of something I failed to do. Did I wait too long for the surgery? Did I not take it as serious as I should’ve. I spent almost $1,700 between her regular vet and the emergency vet. I tried so hard. Then I found “mesenteric torsion” and it’s about the closest thing I could find that sounded like what the vet described. But she never mentioned her intestines being twisted. But she also said she couldn’t really pull or tug on them bc she was scared they’d fall apart in her hands. That’s how bad off she was. Any insight would be helpful. I just need closure. She was my baby. We had the same birthday and everything

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear this :(
    It is not your fault this happened.
    Many years ago I had a kitten that was a few months old who was ill and he died under anaesthetic as his twisted gut wasn't picked up by the vet .

3. JdotNewcomb

JdotNewcomb PetForums Newbie

It threw my whole family for a loop. They found no blockage when they did X-rays. Only a bunch of gas in her tummy. She seemed to really be getting better. Then boom. I’ve been a mess since Friday night

4. Ratatouiile

Ratatouiile PetForums Newbie

Oh, I am so so sorry that happened.
    It isn't your fault, sometimes cats are born with weird genetic disorders, and much like any other living thing, their body sometimes just gives out.
    I lost my baby girl due to an enlarged heart when she was 8 months.
    It is heart breaking, and you feel so bad! Please don't blame yourself though.
    Your sweet Minnie and your family are in my thoughts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice