UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
40 euros for the cat food + 37 euros first shipping+37 euros second shipping+23 euros customs (I think)....for 36 tins of cat food. All in the name of good quality complete food for Merlin, which I really hope he eats.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From USA, they have very good reviews and are complete, all these to get him off Gourmet as he has not liked all the nice Zooplus options.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Wouldn't buying from Floyds in Germany be cheaper on the shipping.

Alternatively have you looked at raw. I bought meat for Cookie's next batch this morning - £15 for 4 -5 weeks of food. I have the rabbit I bought from Woldsway in the freezer, not sure yet if the batch is going to be rabbit and venison or rabbit and ox cheek :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried most of the brands from Floyd and I had to donate them. He does not seem to like raw food either. Atleast he has ignored my 2 attempts with chicken wings and shown no interest when I´m cooking.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
My kittens eat raw but they are still not quite sure what to do with a chicken wing. They gnaw on it a little bit and then leave it. Only when chicken bones are mixed in with chunks of meat, ground up liver, heart, tongue and kidneys they eat it.

Merlin seems to be a very stubborn cat!

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very, very stubborn. When I was trying to wean him off his former wet food with better quality one, he would sometimes just sit at the kitchen door refusing to go any nearer to the plate of food, other times he would smell it and walk away and sometimes he has attempted a burial dance near his plate. He just like Gourmet and some complimentary.:mad:

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well it worries me, giving him food with added sugars, he is a 6 kg BSH and only 5 years old. I would like him healthy for as long as possible.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
very, very stubborn. When I was trying to wean him off his former wet food with better quality one, he would sometimes just sit at the kitchen door refusing to go any nearer to the plate of food, other times he would smell it and walk away and sometimes he has attempted a burial dance near his plate. He just like Gourmet and some complimentary.:mad:
I love the way you put that "burial dance", my raggie does this to wet food. I, like you have tried nearly every food going but he will only eat blooming dried food :mad2:
Good luck :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ok maybe I'm a b**** or something but will a cat starve? I mean if you put out food surely his hunger will overcome his finickiness and he will eat the food that is there?

We converted to a Zooplus diet when we got Louie, a mix of Bozita tetra pack, cans along with Animonda Carney and Smilla. Louie started to pick favourites and would refuse to eat some, which is such a waste (I try to buy his favourites but I did still want a mix so if any brand decides to change I have backups) so I started to man up and say no, you will eat what you are given. Afterall, as much as we don't like to think about it, our furballs are animals with an instinct to survive, I'm pretty sure they won't starve....

I'm all for giving the best food, and if I could afford it I would do better, but Merlin that is a lot of money for food, I don't even think I could justify it if I had riches beyond my imagination. Anyways just my two cents and as I said, maybe I'm just a hardass!

·
Registered
219 Posts
If I could afford very very expensive cat food, I'd still feed my cats on supermarket food and would donate the difference to Cat Rescue. Cats live long healthy lives on bog-standard food.
You might get your cat over his pickiness with some competition. Get another cat (it would be cheaper than feeding one on fillet steak)

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had not intended spending so much, but it was shipped twice due to customs. If supermarket food was good then I would feed him that but it isn´t and he eats Gourmet almost daily. For me the ideal situation would be to find a good brand, no added sugar, high meat content and all the right percentages of what he needs for a complete and healthy diet.

No, Merlin wont eat it if I leave it there for him, when he doesnt like a food brand, he lets it get hard and a dark ugly colour as he wont touch it. I´m at work most of the day so I don´t want to leave him without food. Right now I´m feeding him what he will eat but I´m not dancing for joy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow! :-o

If anyone is interested, Encore are on offer in Sainsbury 2 packs of 8 tins (so 16 tins) for £9. http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Cat_Food_in_Sainsburys.html

Luna loves the fish selection so I mix her raw chicken in with this as she won't eat it on its own just yet! (although she will eat raw lamb quite happily!)

Anyway for me about 50p a pouch/ tin is a fair price for something 65%/ 75% meat ot fish content...there are always offers here and there so best to stock up then!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use it to mix in with her raw food so its works out quite well for me since one tin will go a long way! :) I haven't yet found a complete brand that the cats like! I tried HiLife poultry collection (60%) which worked out £5.49 for 12 pouches, however they won't even touch it! They seem to only like the treat stuff like Applaws or Encore mixed in, although a complete one would be great!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.