Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hypothyroidism

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by marg008, Jun 2, 2010.

1. marg008

marg008 PetForums Newbie

Hi

my cross breed Rotty/doberman was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 2 weeks ago, although she is a lot better in herself since starting the tablets, her poor skin is very itchy and flaky. She goes back to the vets next week for another blood test to check levels, but is there anything anyone can suggest that isnt going to cost me a fortune that I can rub on her skin to alleviate the dryness until the vet has sorted out her levels correctly. I know the vet will charge some extortionate price for some cream or oil or whatever, but want to see if I can try something else first. Any suggestions

Thankyou

marg

2. JeannieB

JeannieB PetForums Junior

I don't think that there is a specific diet that should be fed for hypothyroidism however I am pretty sure that ideally you should avoid grains.

Take a look at the Fish4Dogs website - they do a Salmon Oil which I believe is brilliant for the skin and might help with sorting out the dryness.

Other things to be aware of is weight gain so might be worth looking at her diet generally.

Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice