Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hypoallergenic Food Advice

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by bluebadger66, Aug 24, 2013.

1. bluebadger66

bluebadger66 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me.

Finlay has been scratching, biting, gnawing himself for sometime now, but Izzy is fine.

We did have a flea infestation, which over the last week we have sorted out, but will continue to treat the house every week until we can be sure.

The vet gave us shampoo, but using this and piriton this week, things have not improved.

We were wondering if it may be their food. They are both fed on CSJ Fit 'n' fast Salmon

We were thinking of trying CSJ CP21 Salmon which they claim is Hypoallergenic, but it still contains Barley & Chicken Fat

Or should I try something like Simply Salmon & Potato for a few weeks and then work back if it stops his itching.

He is really miserable, but it will be a struggle for their food bill to increase from £43 to £70+

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Martin

2. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

If you suspect that he has a food allergy then the best thing is food trials, which involves feeding just one type of food for 6 weeks, and then introducing another for 6 weeks, and so on.

To be honest, I don't really trust any branded food now. They can all change the recipe at a whim and not advertise it (happened to us with our dog and as a result he suffered a nasty outbreak). We now feed ours raw so we know exactly what they are eating.

There are all sorts of problems that can cause itching, so it might be worth asking your vet to do some more tests.

Hopefully others will be along soon with more ideas for you.

Good luck - having an itchy dog is no fun :(

3. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I really do despair at some food manufacturers ....... they say "without any rice" as if that's the absolute worst thing that can be in it BUT it has Maize, Barley, Oats, Prairie Meal (which is really just Maize!) *sigh*

TBH unless you know what is the culprit I wouldn't try the other CSJ one as it's still fairly heavy on the cereal front - AND contains corn (which is yet another way of hiding Maize!:()

Fishmongers do a great fish & potato food which is a good price at just under £30 for 10kg

OR

If you know he's OK with Rice - Skinners Salmon & Rice is a decent food & cheaper than the Fishmongers - you can usually get this around £28 for 15kg if you hunt around

4. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

It is likely to be the Barley in the CSJ - dogs who are intolerant to wheat are normally intolerant to Barley too. Also possibly the Maize.

Skinners Field and Trial do a good fish based food with no Wheat, Barley or Maize.

5. Rainchild

Rainchild PetForums Junior

6. BCDuke

BCDuke PetForums Junior

I would have a look at Simpsons premium or Millie's wolfheart both have fantastic customer service.

7. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

If you think it is the food then you need to look at the protein sources - so the salmon, Oats are very high in protein, barley & corn also have protein
    I would swap for a food with 1 protein source some thing the dog hasnt eaten before - but with rice that as had the gluten removed (rice protein)

8. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

I shall be switching mine (hopefully) to Millies Wolfheart - they get very good reviews and their ingredients look great :)

They have 3 different ones - They now also have a slighly cheaper "Riverside Mix" which is a bit cheaper than the others :)

9. Bellaboo1

Bellaboo1 PetForums VIP

CSJ do a grain free food called "no grainer" might be worth a try ? Vitalin maintenance is also grain free and reasonably priced

10. bluebadger66

bluebadger66 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

The place where we get our CSJ gave us a sample of 'No Grainer', and I though great, let's give it a go. Then I read the ingredients!

When Finlay was about a year old he had a very strange reaction to CSJ Poppets. Within 15 minutes he was totally out of control, and it wasn't being hyperactive - it was involuntary. He was running backwards into things, rolling around, writhing, having spasms. We had to hold him down to stop him injuring himself. A few weeks later, my daughter visited, and without me knowing gave him one poppet and the same thing happened. I phoned CSJ and they had never had this happen before.

The 'No Grainer' has all of the herbs that 'Poppets' have so there is no way I can chance giving it to him.

We need to wait until we have got rid of the flea problem as I found 2 on both dogs today.

If it isn't fleas, the food I am looking at is Pets at Home Advanced Nutrition.

What do you think?

Martin

11. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Re the fleas - have you treated the whole house (all carpets etc) with the stuff you get from the vets?

They are a nightmare to get rid of

You need to treat areas - even if the dogs DON'T go in those rooms

The only time I've EVER had a flea problem was when Smudge was an indoor cat:eek:hmy:

The only thing I can think of is that they must've been in the communal stair and I brought them in on my shoes!

12. MrsBee

MrsBee PetForums Newbie

Hey. My dog Maggie has a problem with certain foods. For the past year I've been buying hypoallergenic food from Little Chompers - I thoroughly recommend them.

Regarding fleas, I second what Lilylass says about treating the entire house, not just your pet. Those pests can get everywhere :cryin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice