Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hyperthyroidism

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Baboosh, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Baboosh

Baboosh PetForums Newbie

My cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 2 days ago, she seems fine but vet says she must take medication. Anybody out there who could give me some advise please?

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi @Baboosh. Presumably the vet did blood tests then? I think it’s called a T4 test & there’s one other one thyroid test they can have. What symptons were there? I’m no vet but I’ve had a few cats with hyperthyroidism and they made big improvements once on the thyroid meds. Each cat have different symptons. You usually have a choice of meds and the most common ones are Thryronorm which is a liquid and Felimazole, a tablet. Will your cats take tablets? I wouldn’t personally hide them in food, but would either use a pill popper, or my first choice, Greenies pill pockets or Easypill cat putty, which you can hide the pill in and cats usually like the taste of them. They aren’t cheap, but the pill poppers are. Thyronorm may be a more expensive medication (ask your vet) and you just syringe a specific dose straight into the front side of the mouth. The medications are real life savers. I personally haven’t noticed any of my cats to have side effects from the meds. Some vet’s offer to remove the thyroid or treat it with Radioactive Iodine, I think it’s called, so your cat would have to go away for a few weeks for that treatment. If you want to know more about hyperthyroidism in cats, there’s a very good free webinar by Feline Friends Academy online and here is the link:
    http://www.feline-friends-academy.com/category/webinars/

Alternatively there is this to read:
    https://littlebigcat.com/hyperthyroidism/

p.s once on the meds, you will need to keep going back to the vets, for more blood tests, to check your cat is on the right dose. They can need changing several times and this is very important. My last cat was having hers increased and reduced all the time.

#2 TriTri, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    QOTN likes this.
  3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

One of my girls developed hyperthyroidism when she was old. She was too frail to have surgery so she had medication. Felimazole tablets are small and relatively easy to administer but they must not be split or crushed. For the first 6 months she had methimazole gel which is rubbed into the ear as an alternative route so that is another possibility.

Even If your vet suggests surgery or radioactive treatment your girl will have to take medication to stabilise her before she has the further treatment. One of the boys I bred had the iodine and coped well I think. Many centres that provide that procedure do not require them to stay as long as they used to but you do have to be very careful with handling the cat and their litter trays when they return home so it is not for everyone.

The surgery can be a good option in certain circumstances. Another boy I bred was diagnosed when he was eleven and still otherwise fit. My vet performed the surgery. He said at his age it was safe to remove both glands since he was unlikely to become hypothyroid but if only one is removed, in theory the problem could recur.

chillminx and TriTri like this.
  4. TriTri

On the webinar I mentioned the gel that you rub in the ear, but they didn’t like advertised as an option. They said it was less effective and not legalised or something like that, in UK. I got the feeling it was used more for feral cats? I know Chillminx has used it or knows of its use.

One vet said to me that if the cat was still quite young (12 ish?) he preferred to remove the thyroid parts. I’ve heard others say that it can still come back later and for some reason 7 years sticks in my mind?

I was only able to put a rough age to my last cat, by the fact she was hyperthyroid, as a vet said to me they are “usually” at least 12 yrs of age when they get it.

chillminx likes this.
  5. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I think the methimazole came from Summit veterinary. They only supply vets who are able to prescribe unlicensed meds if necessary. We had to change to tablets because we could not stabilise my girl on the gel but my vet at that time had kept other cats on the gel for extended periods. It must be administered wearing gloves.

If surgery is performed but one gland is left, as I mentioned, there is a risk the other one could develop a problem later.

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  6. Laura 25

Laura 25 PetForums Junior

Hi

Both my cats have hyperthyroidism. Tiger, my female cat, was really poorly with it when first diagnosed. She was put on thyronorm, 0.5ml twice a day. Recently we've had to take that to 1ml twice a day as She has been on it for 3 years and needed it increasingly. She's better on it and with her being 12 when diagnosed I didn't want her having surgery. It seems a big responsibility at first with the medication, but you and the fur babies get used to it . I don't even have to pick mine up now- they happily take it from the syringe.

TriTri likes this.
  7. TriTri

How effective is the ear gel? It must help I take it? ‘Just less effective than the meds then?

8. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

It was very effective for six months with my girl but with a multi-cat household there is always a worry that somebody might 'help' by cleaning it although my vet said it was absorbed very quickly and I used to stand over her until I thought it was gone. I think as time went on she needed a higher dose and my vet decided the tablets would be easier (and a lot cheaper!)

chillminx and TriTri like this.
  9. TriTri

That’s interesting, thank you.

10. Baboosh

Baboosh PetForums Newbie

Thank you every one!

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice