Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hyperthyroidism

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tiggers, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

can anyone give me any information etc about managing Hyperthyroidism in a cat please? What it entails and what to expect. My cat is undergoing bloods and urology tomorrow to ascertain if he has this condition. I'm scared and worried.

2. Hobbs2004!

Hobbs2004! PetForums Newbie

Hello!

One of my cats was recently diagnosed with HT. We are currently managing it with pills (one pill a day disguised in a pill pocket) but have decided to go for radio iodine treatment, once his hypophosphatemia has been managed. I found this information really helpful: https://www.andersonmoores.com/owner/feline-hyperthyroid-clinic.php. HTH and good luck tomorrow!

Tiggers likes this.
  3. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

I've had three cats have it, one tablet a day. One ended up needing a higher dose so went to two a day.
    I didn't opt for surgery or radio iodine but those would be cures instead of management.

Tiggers likes this.
  4. HappyKitty

HappyKitty PetForums Member

My lovely old lady had hyperthyroidism the last 2.5 years of her life. She was 15 when diagnosed and I decided I didn't want to put her through surgery/radiotherapy. I'd never been able to pill her, but had to confront this and found the best position to administer from and generally it worked. She was on two pills a day. Over time, her medication strength needed to be increased. It was obvious when she needed an increase as she'd constantly want food, would be hyperactive and her hyperthyroid meow was worse. At that time, her heart would usually show a heart murmur on examination.

Sometimes they get the right dose immediately, other times it can take a couple of goes. After that the vet will normally retest levels every 3-6 months.

During her last six months, Lottie lost her sight and hearing and generally didn't like being touched due to old age, not hyperthyroidism. At that point it seemed cruel to force tablets down her, so we transferred her to Thryonorm which is a liquid that is inserted into the mouth - a bit more money but you haven't got to hold onto the cat so long to ensure a tablet has gone down. If your cat does have hyperthyorism, once on the high medication you can order it online for approximiately half the price.

Let us know what the vet says. If hyperthroidism is diagnosed, yes sorting medication is a pain, but they can still have a good quality life.

Tiggers likes this.
  5. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

My poor cat underwent surgery this morning to remove a large bladder stone. He's come through the surgery well and will be coming home tomorrow. Thanks all who have posted for your advise and kindness.

6. HappyKitty

Thanks for the update. How is he this evening?

Tiggers likes this.
  7. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

He's staying in the vet's overnight, but coming home tomorrow. I'll post further when I get him home.

TriTri likes this.
  8. roseboo

roseboo PetForums Newbie

My cat booboo has just been diagnosed with ht. The vet has prescribed liquid I am yet to pick it up from the vet but am worried about side effects and of my cat will smell it i. His food. He is 14 year old his hind leg has recently lost his strength that's why I took him to the vet. Also his sight isn't good.

9. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

My cat is home and doing really well. The vet was very pleased with him when discharged this morning. My poor boy has had a bladder stone the size of a five pence piece removed. He's eaten a little, but I'm dreading trying to get his tablets down him.

10. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Oh your poor boy. That’s good that they found the problem and were able to remove the bladder stone. If you have problems pilling, you could try the Easypill putty. I find it a God-send as my cats love it. I buy mine online from Viovet, though they are out at the moment, but getting more in soon. It’s very easy to use. I don’t think it mentions it, but I believe it should be stored in the fridge. Amazon sell it but in bulk. A bit of raw mince beef wrapped around a pill also works for quite a few cats I’ve pilled.

11. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi roseboo, sorry to hear your dear Booboo is hyperthyroid. What a great name! I have a hyperthyroid cat and have had several before also. The benefits of the medication would far out-weigh any side effects and I don’t think any of my cats have had any side effects from the meds ever, even one that was on the meds for many years. The meds don’t have to go in food. My cat has the felimazole in Easypill putty and woofs them down. She also had the thyronorm liquid which was easy to give her using a syrindge straight into the front side of her mouth. ‘Just depends on the cat I suppose as to what works.
    Make sure they redo a blood test 3 weeks after starting the meds, as the dosage will probably needing changing /tweaking a few times. There’s a free webinar on the feline friends academy website on hyperthyroid cats which is very informative, which I would highly recommend looking at.

12. HappyKitty

No wonder you noticed something was wrong with a bladder stone that large. How is he today?

13. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

He's still a little quiet, not eating properly as yet, but has pooped, peed, drunk and eaten a little. I guess he just needs time to readjust to being home.

TriTri likes this.
  14. Annealise

Annealise PetForums Member

I wonder what causes cats to be hyperthyroid? Someone I know had both their cats with this condition and thinks it was caused by a brand of wet food she fed both????

15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

There are theories about diet being a contributory cause of HyperT. The well known feline nutritional expert Dr Jean Hofve has an interesting theory you may like to read, in this link

https://littlebigcat.com/health/hyperthyroidism/

HyperT as a disease of older cats is endemic in the cat population, as is CKD (chronic kidney disease). There may in fact be underlying CKD with HyperT. More of our cats live longer these days because of advances in veterinary medicine over the past 40 or so years, as well as nutritional improvements in their diets and better quality cat foods. More domestic cats live into their senior years, and hence are more likely statistically to develop a disease associated with feline old age.

TriTri and QOTN like this.
  16. HappyKitty

How's your boy doing now staft his operation?

17. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

He's doing very well thanks. Thankfully he's decided he likes the prescription diet he was sent home with. He's back at the vet's to have his stitches removed next week and his frequent urinating in drips is returning to normal.

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice