Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hyperthyroidism and renal faliure

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by nett, Jun 4, 2010.

1. nett

nett PetForums Newbie

hi found this forums while researching the above my 13 year old cat has this week been diagnosed with a grade 3 heart murmur,hyperthyroidism and renal failure the vet did say this has been caught early , on the outside he seems fine not unhappy at all so was shell shocked by results .he's now on a renal diet and 1 fortekor tablet a day as well regular check ups was just wondering if anyone has advice about what to expect or things i should be looking out for or anything i could do to improve his chances.

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Ah poor little soul having all 3 things wrong with him.
    I have got a cat that had hyperthyoidism and went for the op to have the thyroid removed as she hates taking tablets. If yours is ok on the tabs then you should be ok.
    You could ask about the operation but not sure with him having a heart murmur as well.
    One of my other cats has a heart murmur grade 5 but doesn't seem to suffer from anything at the moment. The vet told me not to worry. If he starts to cough then they will give him medication. He runs a round and jumps 6 foot fences!!
    As for renal failure they have to be on a special diet. As the vet put him on one? Also the cat tends to drink lots of water.
    Having thyroid and kidney problems is an age thing. So i would just make sure his quality of life is good.
    Sorry i can't help much so i hope you will get more replies.

3. Marielle

Marielle PetForums Newbie

Hi Nett,

There is a very good website dedicated to information on Chronic Renal Failure (heart murmur and hyperthyroidism are also covered) and there is also a Yahoo forum that you can join (run by the same person who created the CRF website), which is absolutely fantastic and extremely helpful (you can find the forum link inside the website, right above Introduction). I am also on it and it gave me invaluable information on how to help my cat. That forum is a life saver, believe me!!

Although Chronic Renal Failure is not curable, there are many, many ways of managing this disease and you are lucky since your vet said it was caught early.

Tanya's Feline CRF Information Centre

Best wishes.

Marielle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice