Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hyperactivity.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Saffron, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Saffron

Saffron PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have not posted on here since I wrote about losing my cat Saffron in February of this year. Firstly, many thanks for those who commented on my rather emotional thread, your support was much appreciated. I did manage to get back to the UK to see her before she went and despite blowing my savings on it...it was worth it.

Secondly, I am pleased to say that about 3 weeks ago, I adopted a new puss, a dark tortie called Gretal. She is wonderful; funny and affectionate and I think saffron would have approved! However, we are having a few problems that we didn't have with saffron so would appreciate some advice....

1. Gretal seems to have taken to scratching our new leather sofa to bits. I have tried sticky tape on it to put her off to no avail, tried placing her post in a family area and using toys around it to encourage her (to no avail) and we're at a bit of a loss..

2. Despite being told she was 3 when i adopted her, I think she is younger...she's very small, and VERY playful. However she seems to have a problem with going utterly MENTAL after she eats!!! I am talking tazmanian devil style mental....I was wondering whether it could be down to diet? I am mixing whiskas adult complete with Adult James Wellbeloved also as I've been told to do it gradually as Its hard to get hold of where I am. Does adult food have this sort of affect on young cats? Should i try a kitten food, if im not sure how old she is?? ANY thoughts???

Thanks all!

Many thanks...

2. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Congrats on your new cat!!!! pics please!!!!
    Regarding the sofa scratching, Merlin took a great fancy to my sister´s sofa too and just had to pet it each time he passes by. I got a sofa covers and it has reduced drastically. Also I put a scratching post I got from zooplus on the floor next to the sofa, so he could spend his energy before getting there.

Scratching Post Cat Shape: Great Deals on Scratching Posts at zooplus

3. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

I found putting the scratching post next to the sofa helped and if I ever saw them scratching the sofa, I would just pick them up, take them to the post and place their paws on the post. Once they were done scratching the post it was lots of praise and a treat as a reward. They don't do it anymore :D

And I think the hyper behaviour after eating is normal - mine do the same thing. They go nuts for about an hour after eating, then pass out in an exhausted but contented heap on my lap :)

4. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

Oh and keeping their claws trimmed while you're training them may give your furniture a bit more of a chance!

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Spray your cat tree with cat nip - and rub citrus rind on your sofa.

Piccies please!!!!!:D

6. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

Ha ha - I got so much cat nip stuff and sprayed the post with cat nip as well before we got them. Of course my kitties had to be the kind who aren't bothered about cat nip in the slightest!

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

A lot of kittens aren't - it seems they can't smell it before 6 months - give it time.

8. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

Now that I did not know! I'll try again in a couple of months :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice