Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hyper dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by karen, Apr 7, 2008.

1. karen

karen PetForums Junior

I've stumbled across hyper dogs alot lately. I always advise doubling the dogs exercise, but this isn't allows heeded! Back packs and mental stimulation ofcourse are also key. However food is always worth looking at and I've noticed a lot of hyper cases are being feed Wagg or cheap foods too. what's everyones opinion on Burns dog foods? Also I've had success with Rescue Remedy too, again what's everyones opinions?

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

i agree Karen, food can take a vital role in how a dog behaves. Sadly lots of the dogs people discribe as hyper are ones with lots of working ability, that get a walk round the block twice a day, no wonder they are going mental.

We steer as many dogs as we can down the working trials root, even if they never compete, the tracking, searching, agility and obedience gives them relief from the boredom.

Never used rescue remedy on a dog, have on myself, to try to help me get over nerves when competing. Have used B6 and tryptophan suppliments to help produce serotonin in dogs who are nervous.

3. AJ

AJ Guest

I don't rate burns but then I'm very critical of most dog foods. Burns has a very low meat content which is my main concern with dog foods. Wagg is only beaten to bottom spot by Pedigree in my opinion. The only commercial food I would ever recommend is Orijen but I feed a natural raw diet which in my opinion is the best feeding option.

I think diet plays a massive role in dog behaviour, you feed a kid crap they play up and the same is true for dogs we just don't get told about it to the extent we do with kids. Where's the Jamie Oliver of the dog world??? :D

4. karen

karen PetForums Junior

BUrns offer a complex carb alternative to the high protien diet... Is it better... I don't really know. I think foods free of additives ect are much better for the dogs. Alot of folk tend to feed dogs a complete food then add extra protien which in some dogs can increase energy levels.

Yes I agreee most of the problems occur with lack of exercise. And there would be a lot happier dogs in the world if their owners made a little more effort. However some dogs do seem to have adhd!!!:D Well I've heard this banned about thought I'd make you smile!
    I'm looking onto herbal remedies but I not yet convinced. I agree trails are the best route for domesticated working dogs to find balance... Personaly I feel a working dog should stay a working dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice