Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hyper after spay OP!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GSDlover4ever, Aug 15, 2009.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

well my GSD bitch Zara got spayed on the 13th, i did expect to pick her up as a very tired groggy dog - however that wasn't to be. she basically pulled me out of the vets and into the car.

she was a bit exited in my house to and she got a bit exited about my bf coming to mine but after that she settled down.

the vet said i should give her carprofen 50mg twice daily with food which i have been doing!

the day after teh op she wanted to run and role about in the grass! :eek:ut:

today i took her for a morning strole and she was trying to drag me about - she normally walks really well - unless she sees a cat.

i expected her to be taking it easy!

in the house she is quite quiet and just lies in her bed - but i have always made sure she behaves in the house - unless invited to play.

the reason being that i have neighbours below me - don't want to annoy them with a GSD running about like a loony lol :)

i haven't played hide and seak yet - usually she gets a bit exited and jumps about - i don't want her to rip her stitches.

is her behavour normal?

2. Stellabelly

Stellabelly PetForums Senior

When we picked stella up after she'd been spayed the vet said to keep her quiet for a few days and not to let her jump around or go up and down stairs.
    Easier said than done!!
    We got her home and she slept for an hour or so and then woke up and started playing in her normal JR manner. Racing round the house like a maniac on and off sofa and up and down the stairs. Was told not to walk her for a few days but had to cos she was so energetic.
    She did jump on the bed and this made her cry but I think she knew her limits. Stitches healed with no problems.

3. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

Well she is on painkillers, so they may be working too well, keep her as quiet as possible. One of mine pulled her stitches out and it's a right pain. Some brands of painkiller NSAID can cause hyperactivity too so you may be getting a double whammy. If in doubt ring the vet :)

4. GSDlover4ever

my vet never said anythinig about stairs - i can't prevent that one since i live on a 2nd flaor flat!
    but i do try and walk very slowly when going down the stairs!

she also said not to walk her for much for 10 days - just out in the garden!

i donthave a garden, so thats why she goes a little strole.
    i don't know how she (the vet) expects me to prevent a energetic dog like a GSD calm for 10 days :eek:ut: - i think these 10 days are going to be very long lol

luckily enough she isn't allowed to jump on the bed or couch - so i don't think she will be able to rip the stitches in the house.

but outside might be a different matter lol :eek:ut:

5. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

When one of our dogs was done he also was hyper,when i took him back to have stitches out i asked the vet had they given him E numbers as he was so hyper,he just laughed,Rusty was bouncy before the "chop" and even more so since it.:D

6. KarenHSmith

KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

I think that could be a good sign - she could just be happy to be home :D

7. GSDlover4ever

possibly, but what ever she has had i want some of it lol :001_tt2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice