Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hyper Activity with Other Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by goodvic2, Jul 17, 2009.

1. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with dogs who get excessively over excited with other dogs?

When Sammy (ridgeback x staffi) see's another dog, all he thinks about is going over there and trying to play with it. If not managed, he charges and almost throws himself at other dogs. He can play too rough, and is a little devil to recall!

I manage this by recalling him before he see's the other dog and taking him over on a lead.

However, has anybody had this with a dog and if so what did they do? Or does anybody have any suggestions as to how he can be calmed down? Unfortunately because of the way he looks, he does intimidate people.

x

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Occassionally Oscar will become fixated on a particular dog. Mostly a Staffie cross called Neo. Recall goes out the window, and he fights me to get to him.

Have no suggestions, if Oscar is offlead i cant get him back unless he runs pass and i make a grab for him. He literally becomes obsessed with this dog, and oblivious to everything going on around him.

He used to a naughty habit of running full speed into other dogs and knocking them over. So i used to keep him on the lead. He seems to have stopped that now, mostly because he falls over before he gets there, or he's more interested in having a fuss from the owner.

3. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

I'm ever so sorry - I can't offer any advice but I have the exact same problem. My dog is so exhuberant that he launches himself at other dogs and is utterly fixated on playing.
    His recall therefore is appalling so at present I can't let him off his long extender lead unless I am in a field where I know for a fact there's no one else and no livestock etc.
    Hope you find a solution!
    Karen

4. Holly my 20 month Rottweiler used to be like that also. as soon as she saw another dog she would be straight across the field. Not even her fave treat of dried liver would get her to come back. Then one day about four months ago she spotted a dog accross the field, off she went and i called her and started running in the oppisit direction she was running to get her to chase me. It worked and as soon as she came to me i gave her a treat I then did the same thing the next time she saw a dog and it worked. After a while she would see a dog, look as though she wanted to go over but stayed and just looked at me. i would then give her a treat.
    Now she will look but wont go and play unless i release her with an ok command no matter how close the other dog is to us.

5. Marlon

Marlon PetForums Newbie

Keep him on lead cause he might run up to the wrong dog one day!

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Very constructive advice! However, all comments are welcome!

7. ebonymooncats

ebonymooncats PetForums Junior

I have this problem with a little scottie dog I walk, she is just under a year old. Although she is friendly she gets too over excited and wants to jump all over the other dog and she makes funny growling noises which makes her sound aggressive. I have tried afew things with him but as yet havent found anything that works hopefully someone will have some advice.

8. Oblada

Oblada Guest

I kinda had this problem with my boy and people though, more than other dogs...he would run at everyone(and most dogs as well but a little easier to contain - being a staff he's a "people's dog" ;))

Because he loves to "find" things (although he does not have the sense of smell of hound dogs..hes actually pretty bad ;)) I started training him with gundog type of toys; dummies and the like and as it turns out he LOVES those toys (especially one, shaped like a small rugby ball meant to "represent" a partridge I think) and now he finds and retrieves like nobody's business ;) and his recall is 100% and he has become much calmer around people and dogs...I am assuming there are two reasons to this:
    - with those dummies I have become WAY more interesting than anybody else or any other dog so he has gotten used to passing by without a blink or just saying hello and moving on if I say so.
    - he loves the game - it tires him physically and mentally - so less hyper around other "exciting" things!

Good luck!!

xx

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have the same problem, because my pair love to play and jump all over eachother.
    It's why my answer to dogs playfighting is that it's a bad idea. Because I know if I don;t stop my dogs doing it at home, how are they supposed to learn not to do it when out?

I had a period of following my pair about the garden with a squirty bottle and whoever jumped/play bit the other got squirted and told no. It has calmed them down alot in the garden, but I am back to square one after Pixie goes home, she has undone my training!

I did manage to train a dog who did this once, she was a staff x and I found that a squeaky toy would distract her from almost anything! So as soon as I could see her looking at another dog, I squeaked it, and she looked at me and invited me to play instead of running off to the other dog. it did take a long time, I started off with her on a long line and had a friend bring a dog to the park from the other gate. She got to a point where as soon as she saw another dog she looked straight at me for the toy.

x

10. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Thanks to everyone for your replies, it is always interesting and a relief when others have similar problems.

I am hoping age and me distracting him, and then introducing him calmly will sort this problem out.

Although in saying that today he got to 3 different dogs before I could get to him. But luckily he picked dogs and owners who were fine!

Does anybody's dog who behaves like this ever bark at the other dogs handler? If the dog doesn't want to play, Sammy tends to bark at the owner, which is very embarrassing. But he didn't do it today......

11. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Does it worry you he might run up to an unfriendly dog?:)

12. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

He has and he got bit! didn't stop him though!

I do try my very best not to allow him to approach on his own, because I don't mind so much if he gets bit. But I would hate him to frighten a nervous dog.

To be honest, apart from today, I am pretty much on the ball as far as distracting him first. x

13. Badger's Mum

My lab used to do it sometime's, one told her off she didn't do it again:D.

14. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

People are more tolerant with labs though. x

15. Badger's Mum

That's true:rolleyes:. I've met some nasty one's in my time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice