Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hw much carrot is too much carrot?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LexiLou2, Mar 23, 2011.

1. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Strange question but title says it all really, I have just put Lexi on a raw diet but she is eating carrot like it is going out of fashion, she is probably going through 2 carrots a day, can she have too much carrot?

2. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I'd like to know as well all mine love carrot, raw. One vet told me though not to give them to our JRT [she has a weight problem] as theres sugar in them, making them fattening.

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I think bunnies aren't meant to have too many due to sugar or something.

How big is your doggy? I'd think you'd need to be more careful in littler dogs...

4. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

She's a 15.5 kg staffie, I know rabbits aren't supposed to have too much I have three and they share one a day and haven't had any issues with them having said that they have plenty of other veg as well.

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Imafraid I dont know the answer but all mine have bout one a day
    from the 6kg Cresteds to the 32kg goldie
    I wonder if its the same with parsnips

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Mine have a carrot every day too and are not fat either. It's not properly digested as you can see by their poo so it isn't really absorbed by the body as such, only if it's mushed in a processor, so I can't see it doing any harm.
    They have them as treats instead of fatty pigs ears etc. don't vets make you laugh sometimes though? if he knew anything about dog nutrition he'd know dogs don't digest them, so they wouldn't get fat regardless how sweet they are - rabbits on the other hand do digest them so I can see the sense in that.

Don't worry, this lot have been having a carrot a day all their lives and the only thing that initially concerned me was too much vitamin A but again as not digested no probs there either! ;)

Just to add. Dogs digestive systems are not equipped to digest vegetables in the way that ours are, so any veg that is not put through a food processor will not all be digested properly. I give mine chopped fresh veg purely because they like it, not for nutritional value at all.

#6 Malmum, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  7. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

Katie must have OD'd on carrots the other day, had some on the veg rack (I don't usually put them there in case she helps herself) my 22 month old grandson fed her about 5 of them one after the other. She loves them, it's one of her favourite treats and woe betide anyone peeling some if they don't give her a piece - she'll follow you around huffing and puffing and sighing at you until eventually she'll come and tell me that they're not sharing it's quite comical.

8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

It's funny how they love carrots - mind you they really are nice raw aren't they? Suppose to them it's the closest they come to sweets. :)

9. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

VS was sorting out a dog aggressive weimy on one of her programmes and she told the owners to feed the dog lots of carrot as they have some property that works as a calming chemical for the brain. I can't remember what she said it was but I have got Glucosamine in my head. Anyway, she recommended them in quite high amounts for this particular dog.

10. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Excellent-Zak loves them and had a huge one earlier in his crate. I can't keep giving him the kong!

11. Chrissysarah

Chrissysarah PetForums Junior

Just read the answers so learnt lots but Lily loves carrots ! She chews them and leaves bits all over the floor... :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice