Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HV Virus

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by fishtankswimming, Aug 5, 2009.

1. fishtankswimming

fishtankswimming PetForums Member

Hi, wondering if you could please help.

My mate has just got two Main Coon kittens and they have been diagnosed with HV Virus. Can anyone tell me what this is and whether its contagious. I have two 16 week old kittens at home and am due to go and see my mate's new additions in a couple of days. :confused:

Thanks in advance

2. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

FHV - Felines Herpes virus? It's the worst type of cat flu and yes it's highly contagious. Is it a definite diagnosis, or just the vet thinking that it must be this because the kittens are sneezing?

You can go and see the kittens but you must take precautions, this can be spread on clothing. If it were me, this is probably an over-reaction but this is what I would do, I would take a change of outer clothing with me and change into it last thing before coming back - don't touch the kittens again after changing. Then the clothes you wore when visiting the kittens go in a hot wash as soon as you come home (which will obviously limit what you can wear!). Or, since the viurs won't survive for ever on clothes, simply keep that set of outer clothes somewhere where your kittens do not go and change into them every time you go and visit the Maine Coons.

Unfortunately once a cat has got this, they shed the virus intermittently (when under stress) for the rest of their lives. It can be managed but you can;t completely get rid of it. In practical terms, once they have recovered it won't be too much of an issue unless your friend wants to get more cats.

Liz

1 person likes this.
  3. :thumbsup: what she said!

4. fishtankswimming

Thanks Lizward,

She already has 7 adult cats (including another Main Coon) but her kittens are in quarantine. Apparently the kittens were hot, sneezing and lethargic - they have been given an antibiotic injection and drops for 5 days. Apparently the vet said this was caused by stress of flying from the UK to the Channel Islands. :(

How long will this last?

5. fishtankswimming

Sorry, just re-read what you said about it lasting. So, it looks like I'll have to take a change of clothes with me whenever I visit :(

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

It wouldn't have been caused by the flight - but the stress would have brought it out if they were already carrying the virus. Not good! That might be something she would like to bring up with the breeder, especially as vet bills are involved. Are they insured? Was she intending to show or breed from them? If so, that's not going to be an option for the future as they will certainly pass the virus on.

I had a cat flown from Jersey to the UK years ago - no issues at all. People fly cats all over the world with no ill-effects, but the stress of going to a new home even just up the road can bring to light any sub-clinical infections.

7. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

They do sound sick, poor things, and it certainly does sound like FHV. It would be well worth having a definite diagnosis though (I think they need to take a swab and send it to the lab)

Sad to say - and I would fully understand why someone might not want to do it - but with a number of other cats to consider, the best solution might be to send them straight back to the breeder as soon as they are well enough. I think a definite diagnosis would be essential for that though. The cat flu vaccine isn't all that good, that's the trouble. The strains change just as with human flu but the vaccines are never updated.

Liz

8. fishtankswimming

Hi

I'll mention about speaking to the breeder to her. No, they're not insured (with 7 cats n 2 kittens) it gets rather expensive. Don't think she was planning to show or breed them either. She did used to years ago and has given it up.

As you say, I don't think the actual flying caused it, just the stress of leaving mommy and their siblings.

Thanks all for your help.:)

9. fishtankswimming

Thanks Liz

I'll speak to her and suggest this. I must say though, I am dubious about going to see them because of my little two kits. And, as you say, she does have the others to think about (the eldest is 18 years old).

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Hrmmmm! Any reputable breeder wouldn't sell kittens without at least 6 weeks temporary kitten insurance!!!

11. fishtankswimming

I didn't know that Merlinsmum, mine are moggies but gorgeous!!! I'll ask her. Thanks

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

:D
    Just out of interest, you can even offer temp insurance cover for moggie kittens. My moggy girl is due to have her (accidental!!!) litter in the next week or so and I have just registered with PetPlan to be able to offer insurance for her babies when they go at 10 weeks.

[Yes they were accidental - she started calling in May and is one of these girls that call every 12-14 days, so it was almost impossible to find a gap in which she could be spayed. She escaped when I was away for a few days and a friend accidentally let her out. But she will be spayed AS SOON as practical after giving birth].

13. fishtankswimming

That's interesting to know, thanks, apparently they were temporarily insured for 6 weeks, but trying to get the details off the breeder - that's proving difficult apparently!! I've also got PetPlan insurance for my two.

Are you going to keep any of the babies? When are they due?:)

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I'm surprised!!!! :eek:hmy: - the cover note should have been included with the documents at time of sale & I think with PetPlan that's a condition of insurance. They have a Breeders Charter on their site and I had to tick I agreed to do everything on it before they would allow me to register. Having used them before years ago with my Siamese babies, I would do anyway!

Due any time from Sunday. It's not easy to calculate as I was away for a few days and obviously have no idea when the mating took place; however, I do know the exact day she 'pinked up' i.e. nipples grew huge and went deep pink. This happens 6 weeks before birth. I think she's carrying 4 - I can feel two on one side and one on the other and there's always one or two tucked in the middle that you can't feel.

We shall have to see if a kitten wants to stay - but it's going to be hard... I'm not sure I can afford to take on another cat permanently at this point in time. Blessedly, I do have several friends and relatives delighted to have one and all keenly waiting for news :)

15. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

Petplan's insurance for breeders selling kittens was reduced to 4 weeks several months ago. However, the cover note should still have been supplied with the kittens!

16. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I noticed that when I went to register today, between posts. Any idea why?
    Definitely! - I can't find any reference to it on the website but it will probably be a condition of insurance, meaning the insurance could well be void without it. After all, without the documents the new owner has no proof that any insurance has been taken out at all.

17. fishtankswimming

Thanks for your replies and help.

MerlinsMum: It would be nice to keep one, but at least you have new homes ready, if not. Bet they're queuing up for them!!

I don't know why the cover note wasn't sent with the kittens, at least 4 weeks is better than nothing. I'll find out tonight. She's also waiting for the papers too!!

I spoke to her last night and she said that there wasn't a problem with visiting as the vet told her that it was a mild case and that it was airborne, but have decided not to visit until they are out of quarantine. Even though mine have had their vacs, I don't really want to risk it.:(

18. fishtankswimming

Sorry to be a pain. If the vet says this virus is airborne and I went up to visit my mate (not see the infected kittens), can I still bring it home?:(

19. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

If it's just airborne then no, but as I understand it FHV can also be spread on clothing.

Liz

20. fishtankswimming

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice