Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hutch shopping

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MissusMayhem, Apr 1, 2011.

1. MissusMayhem

MissusMayhem PetForums VIP

im shopping for a new hutch for sabbath
    she lives on her own because shes evil! lol shes such a sweetheart with me but any other rabbit has no chance
    shes one hell of a chewwer so it needs to be sturdy

any suggestions?
    p.s. i would like her to have plenty of space to roam size isnt an issue as i have a new huge garden to fill :D

2. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

Is she spayed?

I would suggest a tongue and groove shed (overlap is not a good idea for a chewer) with a run attached to give her the most space possible. Or, if you could, bring her inside as she'd be much happier with you for company than outside on her own :)

3. MissusMayhem

not yet she isnt :)
    and i cant bring her inside although the pup loves her ...
    shes not so keen ;)

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

That will be the reason why she won't bond then :)
    If you get her neutered and wait 6-8 weeks for her hormones die down, I'm sure she would love a friend ;)

5. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Get her spayed and she'll be a different rabbit, trust me!! Have a look at sheds/playhouses you could convert, lots of people get them second hand. Or have a look at the happy hutch company, they do 6ft hutches.

6. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

If she's not spayed that will be the reason she's not bonding.
    Does get very hormonal and territorial when they are intact, even sisters from the same litter will most likely fall out when they get to around 6 months.

If you have her spayed I'm sure you'll be able to bond her with a neutered buck which would save her being lonely outside.:)

On another note, 80% of unspayed does develop uterine cancer by the age of 3. Spaying eliminates that risk so it's worth doing for that alone.

7. MissusMayhem

my vet said "given the fact shes so big already i would prefer to wait until shes grown some more until we spay her" shes only 5 months now and got her from pets at home rescue who had no info on her at all (useless actually) but she looked so sad cooped up in there and id just lost my boy and had a huge hutch at home for her
    so my vet wont spay her just yet ... he said we should maybe wait 2 months
    maybe im just being taken for an idiot? i dno lol
    but in the mean time she gets plenty of human contact and toys and treats spoilt bunny ;)

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I would keep your eyes out on ebay for a shed/wendy house. You can pick up real bargins. Mine only cost £46 and then the wire I put on the windows wasnt much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice