Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hutch for british giant

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kelly-m-e, Jun 27, 2009.

1. kelly-m-e

kelly-m-e PetForums Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a 4 month old british giant rabbit. At the moment she is being kept in a 6x6 shed that I done out especially for her. She has slowly started to chew the walls and I'm worried she's going to hurt herself. Because of this iv decided to get her a hutch. I have been looking for a two tier cage about 6ft x 2ft x2ft (each level). But I'm having trouble finding one in my price range.
    If any1 knows where I can get one for a decent price within a 50mile radius of tamworth please let me know.

Thanks

Kelly and ebony

2. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

wont she just chew the hutch to? can you not just put a sheet of plywood or that thick stiff plastic you get in sheets a few feet hight all around the shed, it will be harder for her to get at anything to chew, she still has her shed with more room and you still have your money in your pocket?

hope you understand what i mean lol

3. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

can you get her lots of those chewy sticks to chew she might chew those instead of her cage, i had a chewy rabbit too, lots of chewy treats stop them from attacking the cage, hope this helps.

4. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

I don't think there are any suitable cages out there for giant rabbits.My british giant boy is kept in a huge run not a hutch.
    I would just add some boards around of untreated pine or similar so he cannot get access to any treated wood and can still have his nice shed to run around in.

5. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Yes a shed is the best place for a giant! Have you tried something called 'Chew Stop' you get it from Pets at Home Ive heard its good!

6. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

A hutch is far too small for a Giant. I have two and they can stretch to 3 ft long. A shed with run would be best

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Yep i agree with the others, a hutch is definetely not suitable for a giant. It would be easy just to line your shed, makesure she has plenty of other chew toys to distract her too, my four have loads and never chew.

8. frags

frags PetForums VIP

hiya
    i have the french lops and they are too big for a hutch also so my hubby boarded out the summer house and built them pens, they cant chew the actual summer house as the boards are there.

9. kelly-m-e

kelly-m-e PetForums Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm deffinately keeping her in the shed now!
    She does have lots of things to chew on and to keep her entertained but still chews the shed!I think its because she wants to be out in the garden (she only chews at night) but I can't risk leaving her outside even if its in a run. As lots of things go walk abouts in our area!!

Thanks again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice