Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Husky or Malamute

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by vova82, Apr 21, 2011.

1. vova82

vova82 PetForums Newbie

Hello everybody.I need help.I decided to buy a dog but I cannot decide which one to buy a Siberian husky or Alaskan malamute please help.

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Why did you decide on a nordic breed, what makes you right for them?
    Do you have the experience with large challenging breeds, can you spend at least 2 hours a day exercising them, have you researched eiher breed or spoken to breeders and meet the breeds in the flesh?

I know its alot of questions but your post is really vague

3. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Try Alaskan Klee Kai :) but they are hard work

4. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

Like Starlight, I think you need to do an awful lot of research (not just on the internet, but out in the real world) before you commit your future to one of these breeds. Both of these breeds tend to be long lived and, in effect, the level of commitment required in owning one is similar to that required when you decide to have a child. Your dog will be reliant upon you for 15 years or so. Are you ready for that?

This is some info about the Siberian Husky - others with experience of Malamutes will no doubt add their reflections on their breed.

The Siberian Husky is the smallest and fastest of the arctic sled dog breeds. Siberians are, in part, descendents of the dogs developed over a 3000 year period by the Chukchi people of Siberia, although a devastating series of famines during the 1860's meant that relatively few of the original Chukchi dogs survived and these had to be crossbred to other arctic sled breeds to re-establish the Chukchi sled-dog stock.

A nomadic, hunting people, the Chukchi required a dog which could withstand both the extreme arctic winters and the warm Siberian summers; could work amicably as part of a large team; could pull light loads over long distances at moderate speed; and which could live happily in the tents and igloos with the Chukchi and their children. The result was the dog which formed the basis for what we now know as the Siberian Husky. The breed started its new career as a working, racing, showing and pet dog after numbers were imported into the US, Canada and Alaska in the early years of the 20th Century, to work in the goldfields and compete in the developing sport of sled dog racing.

Siberians came to public prominence in 1925 when, amongst other sled dogs, they took part in the famous "Serum Run" race against time, to Nome, a remote coastal town in Alaska. An epidemic of diptheria had broken out in Nome and the only way of getting vaccine to Nome in the depths of the Alaskan winter was by dog sled. Although many mushers and their dog teams took part in this heroic venture, history records that one man, Leonhard Seppala and his team of Siberian Huskies, played a pivotal role in its success. Seppala and his team ran more than six times as far as any other team – 340 miles in all - in the worst weather conditions that the Alaskan winter could throw at them. This feat of strength, stamina and fortitude, more than anything sums up the capabilities of the Siberian Husky. Behind the beautiful exterior and friendly manner lie muscles of steel, a tireless spirit and a timeless desire to run.

The very first Siberians arrived in the UK in the 1940’s, but it was not until the 1960’s that more dogs were imported and their establishment as a breed here in the UK was assured.

Other sled dog breeds which can be seen in the UK today include Samoyeds, Canadian Eskimo Dogs, Greenland Dogs and Alaskan Malamutes. There are also a few Alaskan Huskies, but these are not purebred dogs, they are hybrids raised specifically for racing

Siberian Huskies, to those who love the breed, are the most wonderful dogs in the world! They are not a dog for everyone however. Siberian huskies are not Labradors – they are an independent, 'primitive' breed which loves human company, but which is quite capable of surviving without it.

Their particular strengths and qualities sometimes make them difficult to live with. To start with, they are extremely clever escape artists. They can jump or climb over, dig under, eat through or break down most things you try to contain them with. They can be extremely destructive, although this is usually down to boredom - especially if left alone for long periods.

Huskies should never be allowed off lead in an unenclosed area. They will run and run - not to get away from you, but simply for the pleasure of running (and maybe to get that cat or squirrel they just spotted!). Husky puppies may fool you into thinking they are extremely obedient and can safely go off lead. Don't believe it for a moment! Once they reach their "teenage" stage obedience will become optional and the legendary selective deafness of the husky will come into play. Too many huskies have ended up dead on the roads or shot by farmers to take the unnecessary risk of allowing them off-lead in unenclosed areas. We recommend that they be trained to recall however, as the likelihood is that at some time your dog might slip its lead or squeeze through a gate as it is being closed. If it is trained to recall at least you have a chance of getting it to return.

They are fierce and effective natural predators. During the summer, the Chukchi would let them loose to hunt for themselves and they have lost neither the instinct nor the ability. Life with cats and other small animals can sometimes be "interesting." Many Siberians come into rescue because they have killed cats but they were, literally, only doing what comes naturally.

Siberians are amazingly intelligent and can do anything a border collie can do (only better) - the difference is, a husky will perform a 'trick' once or twice and lose interest - a collie will carry on repeating it just to please its human!

On the positive side, Siberians are the most wonderfully affectionate and loving dogs you could ever hope to meet. Unconditional love is what they do best. Whether you are in a good mood, a bad mood, angry, depressed, ill or well, your husky will still love you and show it actively.

Although they are working dogs and really love to work, they are just as happy to take the occasional walk and live life as a couch potato. We often say that they have only two speeds - full speed and asleep!

Siberian Huskies are probably the world’s worst guard dogs. They love everyone (including burglars) and will sell their soul for a cuddle or a tasty treat.

Their striking looks are sometimes their downfall as people are occasionally tempted to acquire a Husky without "doing their homework" on the breed. Then, later, when the puppy eats the sofa or destroys the garden, it is shunted off into rescue. If you are tempted by a Husky, take some time to talk to other Husky owners before you take the big step into ownership. Huskies usually live to 15 at least. Are you willing to make a similar commitment to having a child???​

Please, please do your homework before taking on one of these dogs. Too many people get them on a whim simply because of the way they look. Then, a few months later, they end up in rescue. In just four years, SHWA(UK) have taken in and rehomed over 500 unwanted Siberian Huskies. The more research you do before buying, the less likely your dog is to end up in rescue.

Mick

#4 raindog, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Dont know how much research you have done on either breed, but if you havent done any, then you do need too. They are not a breed for everyone and both need a lot of time and commitment. They have become popular, to their cost. Many people purchase them on looks alone, and find to their and the dogs cost they are not easy. Thats why so many end up in dogs homes and breed rescue at the moment. In fact if you find out more and still decide they are the dog for you that would be a good consideration where to get one.

Both need lots of exercise. They dont like being left alone for extended periods either. A lonely bored under exercised one will become vocal and destructive. Because of their instincts to run and hunt, they cannont be let off a lead unless you can find an entireley fenced area for them to run with no escape routes. Both need secure gardens with a minimum of 6ft fencing, even then some Sibes have jumped a 6ft fence easily. They are both also notorious at diggin and pruning and pulling up plants, so can wreck a garden in no time if unsupervised. Huskys can be trained to a level of obediance, but dont expect it to be anywhere near championship level. Ive found Mals are better at training of the two, but even then keeping attention in class and home is a whole different ball game to being outside with other things going on. Sibes tend to be good with all other dogs in the main, but Malamutes can be known for same sex aggression in particular. Ive found Mals can challenge you more and need a higher degree of firm fair training, and early training too. Sibes are basically happy go lucky, high energy he is what he is and is happy with his lot, but still a challenge in a different way, mainly to your sanity if he isnt given what he needs in the way of exercise and company. Both moult like mad
    and need grooming. Both are not good with small furries and cats, although some people have had some success with cats if brought up with them, although its still not a guarantee and I certainly wouldnt leave them alone with cats personally or even have cats myself.

Given the time and commitment from their owners both breeds can be a joy to live with. In the wrong hands though they can be your worse nightmare.
    This is just basic outlines of owning them, both are more involved then this. So I would say if you havent done any research then do a lot more still before you decide, or else you will just be adding to the numbers and situation of the loads already in welfare and homes already.

6. sparkie1984

sparkie1984 PetForums Member

please please please do your research on them. Your post sounds worryingly vague that you have seen a breed you like the look of and now fancy one.

We researched non stop on huskies before we got ours, we read the horror stories "my husky chewed through my wall" "my husky dug under my garden fence" "my husky is destructive"

the list goes on....

You must keep them well exercised and mentally occupied. If you don't they will become destructive.

If you look back over my previous posts you will see all the questions I asked on the breed, I PM'd people on here who were knowledgeable on the subject and really went to town. Infact I was almost put off getting one, but from talking to someone about them who has a few of their own, I realised I could cater for the dogs needs.

She goes to a "doggy minder" during the day where she is mixing with other dogs and gets walked regularly and free roam of a huge back garden.

Please research it, so many people like the pretty breed and walk them off leads, leave them locked up in a small room all day alone.. It annoys me because its not fair on the dog

If after research you decide to get one why not look into getting a husky from SHWA, they are great and the effort they put into their dogs and the lengths they go to, to help them out are nothing short of outstanding.

Why not give an abandoned dog a shot at a good life?

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM on here or I am sure others would help.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  7. sparkie1984

They are hawksport,

it is truly heartbreaking to hear the stories of how some are found or why their given up....

8. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

You arent wrong there hun. Alot of rescues are crying out for fosterers who have experience with the breeds due to the massive influx, just a shame i cant help atm :cryin:

9. sparkie1984

I would love to help out by fostering / helping with visits etc etc, but at the moment don't have the space.

one day I hopefully will be able to

10. MichelleKitti

MichelleKitti PetForums Junior

I came across your thread just reading through some posts for a late night read and its a relief to hear that information is being given to the post starter - what a shame they havent replied???

I too was looking into getting a dog after moving out of my parents home (I am in my 30s btw lol)... for companionship and security. I would have loved a husky but knew already after researching dogs/breeds/anatomy etc.. from the age of 13 till now - I have never really stopped - I knew this was the wrong breed for me to have and it would have been a very selfish choice.

I did infact get a Japanese Akita who was black and white as a pup but now the colour has diluted her beautiful coat is almost grey and white with an odd black stripe down her back and believe it or not people do mistake her for a husky (obviously the experienced dog owner would know the difference).

I did post previously on here about an advert I found on a website advertising Husky pups and the mother wasnt kc as she was from a dog rescue??? I am now currently in the process of writing an email to the governing body of this organisation :mad:

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice