Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hurt Wood Pigeon

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by Acrophylla, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

Yesterday I rescued a wood pigeon that was shot by a teenage boy. It hasn't lost many feathers . I think the bullet is in the chest region; I don't know if it's still there or if it has come out. The bird has been very still and is in a cardboard box at the moment. It was sick in the night and there is a bit of blood by its beak. The bird has stopped shaking now. Any advice on how to help it?

2. Freebird

Freebird PetForums Member

That's awful, I hope you reported the kids and they got seriously punished! :mad:

If the wood pigeon has survived the night that's an excellent start as most wild birds tend to die of shock, even just being handled by humans sadly.

Make sure he has access to water and also food, not sure of the best type of food though, it might be worth calling the RSPCA for some advice, but some kind of grain would be ok. I get wood pigeons in my garden everyday and they love the peanuts I put out. You will need to check his chest area and see if he does have something wedged inside, if so he will need an avian vet. Sadly they may just put him down :(

Good luck and fingers crossed, well done for rescuing him.

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Get it to the nearset wild life hospital where it will get the care its needs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice