UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
without things such as bull fighting we wouldnt have our bull breeds tho,

i hunt rabbits for the pot, theyre delish :)

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
we've had this 'argument' before, i'm pretty sure the thread was closed down, should still be searchable tho.

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
Before the ban we took a sustainable crop of hares through the winter and had plenty around here, now they have nearly all been shot to keep the lurcher people away. Before the ban we would be going out counting them at this time of year, now we can't find any.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Before the ban we took a sustainable crop of hares through the winter and had plenty around here, now they have nearly all been shot to keep the lurcher people away. Before the ban we would be going out counting them at this time of year, now we can't find any.
Bloody hell you should come here!! I've never seen so many hare's as I've seen this year!!

Personally I have absolutely no problem with people hunting for food, much rather that than the torture most animals have to endure for humans to eat. I will be starting on Norris's training to work soon, just waiting for him to mature a little bit more but he'll be trained as a working dog. My other Bedlington cross is trained to work, and while he never has and likely never will actually work the training involved to get them to that level is excellent for their breeding and great fun for them and me to learn.

G

·
i'll never understand how some people think its perfectly acceptable to rip a wild animal to pieces but would be outraged if packs of dogs were trained and encouraged to rip to pieces pet dogs for example!:confused: cruelty is cruelty in my eyes!:mad:

god lets pray we dont step back in time and bring this despicable 'tradition' back!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Problem is we don't have to kill for food anymore. I think it's sickening how people find it perfectly acceptable to train their dogs to attack and kill wild animals but those who train their dogs to attack and kill other dogs are awful, should be murdered ect ect :confused:? So it's okay because no one cares about the wild animals, they aren't spoilt and they don't sleep on anyones bed? aka you don't have one? I mean i guess if you think it's okay to kill foxes for food you wouldn't mind me munching on some dog? It's one tiny little step from slaughtering wild animals for 'food' or for the sheer enjoyment of it to people who don't like dogs slaughtering them. Like i said on a thread on this topic before;

THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

By advocating slaughtering innocent wild animals you open the gateway. I've seen hunts and they have no place in a civilised modern world. Aren't you ashamed to say you come from a country where it's the 'norm' to chase down one terrified little fox with a pack of dogs and men on horses :confused:? I mean witch hunting used to be tradition to, should we bring that back? xx

·
Amused
29,064 Posts
Problem is we don't have to kill for food anymore. I think it's sickening how people find it perfectly acceptable to train their dogs to attack and kill wild animals but those who train their dogs to attack and kill other dogs are awful, should be murdered ect ect :confused:? So it's okay because no one cares about the wild animals, they aren't spoilt and they don't sleep on anyones bed? aka you don't have one? I mean i guess if you think it's okay to kill foxes for food you wouldn't mind me munching on some dog? It's one tiny little step from slaughtering wild animals for 'food' or for the sheer enjoyment of it to people who don't like dogs slaughtering them. Like i said on a thread on this topic before;

THEN THEY CAME for me

By advocating slaughtering innocent wild animals you open the gateway. I've seen hunts and they have no place in a civilised modern world. Aren't you ashamed to say you come from a country where it's the 'norm' to chase down one terrified little fox with a pack of dogs and men on horses :confused:? I mean witch hunting used to be tradition to, should we bring that back? xx
Great post xx

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
but what about those on here who let thir dogs chase rabbits for food....? or even cats who bring in mice etc... thats still a life...?

im not getting intoa debate to fight any corners as i cba i have an exam in 3 hours :lol: just stating some points :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
but what about those on here who let thir dogs chase rabbits for food....? or even cats who bring in mice etc... thats still a life...?

im not getting intoa debate to fight any corners as i cba i have an exam in 3 hours :lol: just stating some points :)
I don't agree with dogs killing rabbits either. Cats are no where near as domesticated as dogs, and they don't do it for sport it's sheer instinct. If i catch my cat trying to kill something then i distract him and let the poor thing get away. Good luck with your exam :) x

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I don't agree with dogs killing rabbits either. Cats are no where near as domesticated as dogs, and they don't do it for sport it's sheer instinct. If i catch my cat trying to kill something then i distract him and let the poor thing get away. Good luck with your exam :) x

(im actually trying not to throw up im that terrified)...

:lol:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I will never understand how anyone can be so against hunting but be perfectly happy to have someone else kill an animal so their cat or dog can eat it
Because they aren't savaged to death. They're killed humanly. If people killed foxes humanely then i wouldn't have a problem with them. I do, however have a problem with people who hunt. x

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Fuzzbug's your arguement holds if you are a vegetarian, what I find most confusing is those meat eaters who find hunting so horrific. Seriously I suggest you all visit the majority of the meat producing 'farms' in this country, and then the slaughter houses and then comment on the value of life and what rights we have to hunt wild animals. I for one would much rather see someone eating a rabbit who has lived it's life free and wild than a pig who has only ever seen torture and pain...aside from the fact mass produced meat has so many things pumped into it god only know's what you are actually eating!!!

The difference with my views on this is I've never eaten meat in my life and I never will, so I find those meat eaters who jump up and down in horror at animals being hunted for food quiet difficult to understand. They will sit back and chew on a pig who has suffered months of torture and abuse locked in a tiny cage and slaughtered scared and terrified but then be up in arms over the quick painfree death of a fluffy bunny who's run wild all it's life eating, playing, free and happy???? I find it very hard to understand the hypocrasy (sp) of alot of anti hunts people.:confused1:

In my view if you eat meat why is there a difference between cow meat or dog meat? So yes if you meat then eat dog meat if you want to, it's all meat from a living breathing animal.

There's a huge difference between hunting for pleasure and hunting for food. Pleasure hunters obviously need a session of being hunted down and chased to appreciate the ordeal but people who hunt for food kill quickly and are certainly not in it for the blood lust.

G

·

its actually illegal to let a dog chase and kill rabbits!

sorry but you really cant compare animals its their instinct to hunt, they do it for food or to hone their hunting skills.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts

THEN THEY CAME for me

i would happily eat fox or dog if it tasted nice.

i threaten my rats with 'rat burgers or kebabs' when they're being bad. and the we regularly tell the cats they'll be stew if the don't behave.. while i wouldn't eat my pets, i wouldn't say no to trying it.

I think certain 'blood' sports are needed when they are part of pest control. I would prefer foxes to be shot (rather thanhunted or snared) but on the other foot, that's peoples livelihood, the horse, the dogs etc all have to be looked after and when the hunts aren't allowed those animals are given away as much as possible, the others are destroyed when no one wants them and they are too expensive to keep, without the hunt money they have no income, with no one willing to buy them... it's off to the glue factory.
yes it's a cruel sport, but foxes are hunted for a reason, their destruction of domesticated animals (chickens etc). while shooting is more reasonable the fox has more chance of being maimed and little chance of getting away, hunts don't always get their fox, and it may move area once it's escaped.

bull fighting etc is wrong, it's not hunting for pest control or food, it's wanton destruction of a perfectly good animal.

having said that i don't think hunting should be brought back as it was if at all, it should be changed slightly, more laws to govern it etc.
pheasant shoots could be seen as just as cruel as the birds are scared into flight.

i think there are ways and means of hunting for pleasure and it being as humane as possible for the animal. as long as it's eaten or used up for something at the end of it.. hunting should be allowed.

1 - 20 of 354 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.