Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hunting!!! What's your views!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Magik, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Magik

Magik Guest

Ok there are many different types of hunting. I used to hunt alot. I used to get calls from farmers who would ask me to control the population of certain species to protect another species or to save their crops! I did this for many years without any problems until one day I had to shoot a family of birds.. I'll not go in to detail but I the birds became very distressed and knew what was happening... this was my last hunt. Soon after I sold my weapons. However - I do still think this kind of hunting needs to be carried out for the protection of other species and crops.

We have invaded the wildlife with our roads and building forcing them in to an unatural habitat.. so sometimes I think it is necessarry to cull certain species!!

As for fox hunting - I'm so glad it has been ban.. I would love to take one of those posh twits in their red jacket and jodpers and drop them in the roughest part of Sheffield and let them run for their lives as they are being chased by an angry mob.. see how they like it!!

What's other peoples views on Hunting???

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i personnally couldnt hurt or kill anything, ....but i know people that work for the famers , getting rid of rats mice etc, but i couldnt do it,:(

englishrose943 likes this.
  3. Magik

Magik Guest

I could probably manage a rat.. but since my last experience there's no way I'd get back into it..

It's weird.. I'd have no problem shooting certain members of the general public but couldn't hurt an animal!!

4. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hee hee ,yeah same as, there are certain people you could just get hold of and,.............., but animals couldnt hurt them:)

5. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

I dont agree with fox hunting but do agree with the culling of mice and rats etc.......I used to go hunt saboteuring in my younger days and the twits in red coats were very snotty - the way some of them tret their horses too.......I cannot see how its a sport???
    It may be banned but I think they still do it when they can get away with it - its like anything else its probably gone underground :(

6. colacooler

colacooler PetForums Junior

I'm torn!Coming from a long line of farmers there is a great tradition in my family, although me and my parents didn't farm my uncles and auntis are still lamb farming.

Let me give you a few things to think about, badgers aren't fluffy lovey dovey black and white docile creatures, they are more destructive among the sheep than foxes, yet they are protected. The number of foxes in mid wales has absolutely shot up to uncontrollable levels.

While the method of fox hunting with dogs wasn't the most effective or dignified way of killing foxes, it's more for the fun than anything, it did drive them away.

Farmers now resort to shooting and trapping, I go up to the farm in Montgomeryshire few times a year and they have a chalk board with how many foxes they have shot, not killed, shot and since the few weeks before Easter when the lambing season started they have shot around 200 foxes.

This is people's livelihood we are talking about. If those foxes took 1 lamb in their lifetime, £10 a lamb - it's more than that but say £10, that's £2000 lost. In the news and media all we get is that these lovely dovey cute sweet animials are being killed by arrogant ignorant toffs, when that is such a skewed and biased view.

I don;t think us city slickers and urbanites should have as much say what goes on in the country as peoples lives are the countryside.

I find it hard to agree with hunting with dogs, but there should be a window for a planned cull.

The missus' is American, we stayed with her grandfather a few years back, and it was the hunting season and we shot about 10 deer, was amazing the steaks, and all the meet that came off it. Very bloody but in the end tasted great. Now this was in a controlled environment. Only 2 weeks of the year can you shoot deer in most places I think.

7. I dont think I would be able to shoot a living creature. But I am for a reasonable controlled hunt without stupid cruelty in late Autumn when there is no babies...

8. Sophia

Sophia PetForums Member

Yes, you are right. Everyone single person who fox hunts is a posh twit. How stereotypical would you like to be?!

I've hunted and I'm neither particularly posh or indeed a twit! People that hunt are so diverse, it's not just blue blood on a horse - one of my friend's I've met through hunting lived most of her life in a caravan and now works as a waitress. I'd hardly call her posh. (And she's 'well 'ard like blood, she'd have those Sheffield chavs like dat, innit maaan. )

1 person likes this.
  9. Sophia

Sophia PetForums Member

Also, could you please explain something else to me, as I'm not sure I fully understand your argument.

At the beginning, you've said (and I quote) ... "to control the population of certain species to protect another species or to save their crops" by killing them - how then, does fox hunting differ from this?

Other than, it involves slightly more people, some of whom are mounted on horseback?

Ther basic principle of fox hunting is/was the same - to protect a species or crop from another by the controlling the latter population.

I can't help thinking (and please forgive me if I'm wrong) but it sounds as though you dislike the people (or their 'persona') that are involved with hunting, rather than the hunting itself?

10. AJ

AJ Guest

Exactly, I hate fox hunting, I've watched some programmes on TV and its barbaric, poor fox must be terrified, apparently they die of exhuastion most of the time if not they get mauled by a group of dogs. :mad::mad::mad: Thank god it's been made illegal in this country! :)

11. AJ

AJ Guest

The method is very different. The method used in fox hunting is nothing short of EXTREME ANIMAL CRUELTY, if it was about protecting other species why not just kill it outright instead of chasing it for miles and miles first!?! It's very different from a quick kill, with minimal suffering for the animal.

12. Sophia

Sophia PetForums Member

I can't remember who the OP was who said this - but they mentioned about the attitudes of the people who they had seen hunting and they way they treated their horses.

I am geniunely sorry for you witnessing that - like anything, there are people in this world (for whatever reason) that do not always conduct themselves as the rest of people (in thus case a hunt) would or should. For example, I was shopping in a supermarket the other day and a shop assistant was particularly rude to me - it would be wrong of me to label all supermarket assistants as rude, petulant and generally as thick-as-to-short planks, even though this boy was!

The majority of people who hunt would do pretty much anything for their horses - I certainly would. I owe my horses so much (particularly the one I used to hunt regularly on - I am completely endebted for what the little mare has done to me). However, of course, for a professional they are going to view their horse's slightly differently (although hopefully never as a machine, although of course it does happen) - they need to be 'useful' in so much as that they need to pay their way and do a job required - but that doesn't excuse bad handling of a horse.

So in short, not everybody that hunts treats their horse's badly or has bad manners - I really just wanted to get that across to people.

13. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

The hunting of foxes hasnt actually been banned, its just a ban on using dogs to hunt them.
    I can see that its not a nice way for an animal to die (being ripped apart by dogs) but what people dont understand is now the terrier men must shoot the fox. They need to have a bloody good aim to kill it out right and now 90% of the time the fox runs off injured and dieing a slow death!
    Like I said, I see that being ripped apart isnt a nice way to go but at least it was instant. Now its not garaunteed!

14. bordercolliepup

bordercolliepup PetForums Senior

Firstly I think fox hunting is a cruel sport and I'm glad it's no longer , would you like a pack of hounds rip you apart , Ive had plenty of whips at me from the hunt leader when I was younger for expressing my views
    There is better ways in controling animals such as this without the cruel ways ,
    Animals that need to be controled should be in a way that is not cruel and doesn't destress the animal in anyway , I live in the country and I have seen the damage animals can do around a farm ect ect , when you have the lively hoods of farmers at stake then something should be done , I hate any sort of having to kill any animal for reasons or another, but when you look at the damage that some of these animals do , and the costs involved ,
    You have to look at both sides of the story
    I've seen farmers ruined by tb and there whole lives go down the pan.
    Theres a right and a wrong way of doing things .
    If it has to be done then wait untill mating season and bringing up the young is over and done with

15. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

I have been hunting a few times with my local hunt,its a lovely atmosphere everyone is so friendly helpful and nice.On the boxing day hunt a sabatour had a gas horn thing that he was pointing at us and sounding off!! These so called animal lovers were intentially scaring the horses and potentially endangering us riders.Not one person,however rich,was unpleasant ,snooty or un helpful.Its so easy for someone who has never been to judge and assume and come to the wrong conclusions.My husband also shoots,as do our boys.

16. SavannahKitten

SavannahKitten PetForums Senior

I come from the west country and have lived in areas where there is fox hunting. I find that the people that are intolerant of fox hunting are urban dwellers. Foxes spread disease, kill livestock and are more than capable, and DO kill cats that are free roaming.

Fox hunting is an old fashioned but recognised means of keeping the fox population under control.

I haven't read all the way through this thread, but if there aren't already farmers posting in here, they should be - they can explain their position.

17. AJ

AJ Guest

I'm not against controlling the fox population, I'd rather there wasn't a need for it and that they could just be left be but I understand why it needs to be done to protect other animals such as sheep and chickens.

I am against the way it was done. It's very cruel to chase a fox for miles and miles which often results in it dying of exhuastion or it being ripped apart by numerous dogs. All animals have a right to a humane death.

18. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

keep moving them into suburbia ,pulling out the bins and spreading mange ,we dont want them in the country ,i dont think it was the countryside people that voted for the ban

19. Sophia

Sophia PetForums Member

The fox actually died quickly however when it caught by the hounds and this has been proved by various reports into the hunting of foxes with hounds - I agree, it may not be the prettiest way to go, but it was pretty instant.

20. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Also in my experiances the animal in question didnt get very far,certainly not far enough to get exhausted.And it was very quick and carefully monitered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice