Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hunting party

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Beth78, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

We were exploring a new area today when we were overtaken by a hunting party, some of the hounds came and said hello to Whisp, I think she was so stunned she didn't really react just let them sniff and leave.

Luckily she is cool with horses.

Hopefully they were just scent trailing I don't personally like the idea of fox hunting.

rona and LinznMilly like this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

We came across about 30 fox hounds whilst on holiday down a tight track. Loki who is normally quite gobby remained very quiet as they passed.

Beth78 likes this.
  3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

My sister and I met the South Downs Beagle pack at the top of the Long Man in thick fog a few years ago. We didn't hear them and vis versa until our 6 collies and 1 jack russell were suddenly surrounded. The collies were OK but the Jack Russell wanted to take them all on. It was chaos for a few minutes....LOL

LinznMilly, rona, margy and 2 others like this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

That's Jack Russells for you :p

5. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Unfortunately we have a regular hunt round by us...not scent trailing
    They are inconsiderant and cruel to the animals e.g. galloping horses down icy roads, shooting dogs that don’t keep up, alongside not being considerate of others, tearing up fields they have no permission to be on and scaring livestock...let alone the fox, in the name of sport!

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Fox hunting is illegal, they would have been following a scent.

I've bumped into the hounds several times recently, luckily I've been in the car. My friends dog would have a melt down if he was surrounded

7. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Sorry this is naive, fox hunting continues despite being illegal...

8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Ok if you say so..............

adamantis and Blitz like this.
  9. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

This would terrify me if I was out with Foglia, I'd be worried that they'd mistake her for a fox, being red and foxlike (volpino being Italian for fox)
    I would have to hope and pray, that, their sense of smell, which I believe they are trained by, would identify her as a dog, no matter what she looks like
    Plus
    Im only brave around horses/ponies when they're the other side of a gate or fence (same with cows, especially black ones)
    The thought of a horse taller, at the shoulder, than I am, with a person on top
    No, no, no
    I'd be a jelly mess

Beth78 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice