Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hunter wellies. Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by wacky69, Oct 21, 2012.

1. wacky69

wacky69 PetForums Member

I need some decent wellies for the lovely british weather and the problem im having is I have a bad back and hip so i need something that is extremely comfy, warm and have a fantastic grip. So ive been looking at the hunter wellies but i would like other peoples opinion as i honestly have never bought wellies before in my adult life lol so im at a loss hahaha

2. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Have you thought of Fitflop waterproof boots, they are great for people with back or joint problems. I live in the summer version and have the short leather boots for the winter. I would get the snowboot version but the calves are too narrow for me.

3. Tillymint

Tillymint PetForums VIP

They are really fashionable at the moment & I wonder if you are just paying for the name?
    I wouldn't know though as I've never had a pair..... but I wouldn't say no to a black "glossy" pair:)

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

I have had them for years, great wellies and comfy, went to get a new pair today at the garden centre and they were £84:eek:

So looked on ebay and got the same ones for £62:D

It depends on what colour you have regards price tho, plain black seems to be most expensive:rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I started wearing the flipflop version of the fitflop about 5 years ago and have several pairs. I also like the Sketchers version. Cheap reproductions just don't work. I have bought most of mine from ebay for as little as £8 for original fitflops. I bought the leather boots in the sale. My OH wears them too as he has bad achilles and a bad back from years of rugby playing and they help him enormously.

6. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I have a pair of the black glossy ones..... they are anything BUT glossy! I might as well have just bought a brown pair :eek:

But when they were new, they looked beautiful! And i'm sure they'd come up nice if I cleaned them, but I quite like them being all muddy :D

However, one thing I would say that Hunter wellies certainly AREN'T is warm! They are anything but! And don't be fooled by the Hunter welly socks, they're no good either! They are very comfortable though and the grips are reasonable, although I would say there would be better out there!

I'm sure Hunters were good back in their days of JUST being wellies, but now they are more of a fashion statement than anything and they're definitely more for fashion rather than function!

7. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't have another pair of Hunters if they were free! They're not warm, they don't last and they're a lot of money IMO.

I prefer muck-boots, I've had them now for 3 years, same pair, cost about the same as Hunter's but I find them to be warm, comfortable and long lasting. (I also wear them every day, for a minimum of 5 hours when the weather's grotty). ;)

8. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

I've had my Le Chameau wellies for 12 years and they've had some heavy wear are are pretty much as good as new. If you want quality wellies I can't fault Le Chameau. Hunters have gone downhill since they became fashionable with the festival crowd.

I find mine comfortable, feet don't slide or flap about inside like in bog-standard wellies, but I don't know how they'd be for a bad back.

9. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Have heard that Hunters' quality control has gone down enormously since their production line moved abroad, I think people are just paying for the name now.
    My sister works in Office shoes and says people are bringing them back because they've cracked/faded etc. She has a pair herself that used to be glossy and are glossy no more! They're less than 6 months old. Apparently you need to buff them to keep them shiny.

Would also advise against Joules wellies - overpriced for very basic quality boots, mine had split around the ankles within 3 months of regular use.

Aigle boots are great, Dad's had his for years. Best I've owned are my green Dunlops; less than £10 and this is their 4th winter with no signs of wear :D Very tough and great grip, fluffy insoles are a must though.

10. wacky69

wacky69 PetForums Member

11. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Ive got a couple of pairs, sometimes they come into TK Max cheap :) I like the shorter lenght ones, I wear them with hiking socks as they arnt very warm on their own.

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I have an horrendously bad back and like Ariat Mudbuster women's wellies if I am going to wear them. They have cushioning and support in the footbed and your feet don't slop round in them. You can get a really good fit as they come in half sizes too.

If you wanted to totally blow your budget Ariat Grasmeres are warm, supportive and waterproof. I love them and have worn them pretty much daily for a year now and expect them to last many more years - so an expensive but good investment.

13. Modwyn

Modwyn Guest

I have green hunter Welles for going down the field, I've had them a couple of years and they are doing well very comfy and if you wear warm hiking socks then feet are warm enough. However I will say they aren't a patch on the ones I had years ago, but I only paid £40 for them in the local farm shop so they were a good buy and fit for me. I will be looking at muck boots in future and possibly Ariat Grasmeres.

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have really bad back and pelvis problems and cant wear short boots. I live in wellies and found that the very cheap ones sold in the local ag store were the best for me (as I could not afford expensive ones anyway) but they changed the design and they are horrendously uncomfortable now so I splashed out and bought some toggi wellies in a sale. They are very well lined, very warm and very comfortable. I am not sure how I put up with my cheapies for so long. I also got some wellies from mountain warehouse that were very comfortable but they did not last long at all. In fact I had to take 2 pairs back as they leaked within a week.

15. Strawberryearth

Strawberryearth PetForums VIP

I live in my Hunter wellies for walks. I have had them for about a year and they are still in great nick. You get out of them what you put into them I suppose, if you look after them (like any shoe) they will last longer.

I like their orthopedic fit, the fact that they hug your foot properly and up your ankle so you feel like they are there for the whole walk and you aren't likely to lose one halfway up a muddy hill! Mine have neoprene lining (I thought they all did but others' experience makes me question) which I find really quite snug. I often wear them without socks if I am to quickly change into a pair of pumps shortly after our walk. When I wear them with socks they are snug and I have some fleecey welly socks for when it snows- they are extremely warm!

I have the short gloss ones, because I have short legs and find that most full length wellies cut in behind my knees when I walk.

Not everyones experiences are the same so it is probably best to do some window shopping, try a few different brands or styles on to see what suits you. Then go online and find the cheapest place to buy them!

16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

These are good; I have 3 pairs (one old, worn pair for gardening, one newer pair kept in the car, another new pair in the house). 100% waterproof, sturdy and comfortable. They are warmer than wellies, and the sizes are generous enough to allow for a thick sock inside.
    Viking Boots, The Viking Boot, Viking Dry Boots, Viking Dryboots

17. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

18. YellowLab

YellowLab PetForums Senior

I have Aigle Parcours wellies and I can fault them. Had them for years now and nothing has gone wrong with them. Very comfy

19. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

I have a pair of green dunlops, they were an emergency buy, think they were £12, I bought a pair of black and yellow dunlop trainers which looked great but lasted about 6 weeks, had heard that was yet another brand that had been bought by sports direct, so didn't really hold out much hope, but they are still going a year later, possibly the comfiest wellies I have owned, I get achilles problems from over-pronation and they are great. Unfortunately they do have big black stripes on them as hubby left a roll of roofing felt on top of them in the porch during the summer :(

20. Jennac

Jennac PetForums Member

I had exactly the same dilemma earlier in the year! MandM Direct had Hunter wellies on offer and after doing loads of research I ordered a pair a size bigger - I like to wear wellie socks over jeans and another pair of socks and I've got quite wide feet but they were still a little tight and I actually gave myself cramp in my calf trying to get them off!! They were also ALOT brighter in colour than they looked on the interent (neo-pink) so I sent them back.

I did more research and lots of people told me Hunters were not made the same way anymore and would crack, split etc. Someone I know had a good experience of Joules wellies so I found some on offer which I tried, the Joules Evedon wellies in lilac EVEDON | Wellies | Women | Joules Site UK

I love them! They are really sturdy and really warm and comfy to walk in so I have my wellies all sorted for the winter and they do look pretty too :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice