Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hungry or just greedy?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mlynnc, May 16, 2010.

1. mlynnc

mlynnc PetForums Senior

Ever since we started feeding Enzo Bozita instead of raw, he has been either very hungry or greedy. How can I tell?

He has a good-sized breakfast at around 7am, a good-sized dinner at around 5:30pm and a supper at around 9pm if he seems to be begging (meowing at his bowl, pacing in the kitchen, etc).

At around 6:30am every morning, he meows and meows and meows and goes up and down the stairs until my partner or I wake up to feed him. Then, once he has been fed... quiet as a mouse. Same with dinner time. If I don't feed him the second I walk in the door, he paces and paces and meows and acts like we starve him!!!!!!

He only started this when we started feeding him Bozita (which he ADORES). So... hungry or greedy? Thanks :thumbup:

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

How old is he? Id say that those meals are quite far apart as cats tend to eat little and often, I normally do half a pouch then another etc instead of 1 in 1 go, hope this helps! :)

3. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

He could be just being greedy but if you haven't wormed him recently you should consider that.

4. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Bare in mind that RAW would've filled him up more and taken longer to digest, therefore making him feel fuller for longer... so i think, personally, it is a bit of both - he prob does feel more hungry on bozita BUT that also, it probably is a bit of a viscious circle in that he feels more hungry, so meows for more and gets it and then also realises what meowing can achieve!

I'd, personally, stick to the meal times you've got, and the portion sizes etc but supplement his evening meal (the supper time one) with a bit of raw food... chunks of chicken or lamb or rabbit etc. Re the comment about meal gaps and feeding more frequently - at his age, he should be fine to go from breakfast to dinner - mine do, you only need to go small and often meals when they're little which i dont think enzo is from memory?!

All providing his worming is up to date as this could be the cause of it too.

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

agree with the twins.

Without knowing the exact quantities your feeding, his age breed/build and weight it Would be impossible for anyone to tell you whether your feeding enough.

Its also worth mentioning that we humans are pretty poor at reading a cats body language. And a cat meowing at you, rubbing round your legs and following you isnt always asking for food, sometimes its just attention (but theyre not gonna turn their nose up at a tasty meal either!). Its a growing theory amongst a number of vets, and can cause another endless cycle. Cat meows gets fed, cat meows gets fed etc etc etc soon they learn that as soon as they make a noise they get fed which is at least some attention. leading to a very fat cat and empty pockets for the owner!

I'm not suggesting for a minute that your cat isnt getting enough attention, but perhaps some different attention and distraction would be a good method if your sure he is getting enough to eat.

6. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I read somewhere that MC's have the same size tummy as a normal size cat but because of their size eat more often maybe he needs more because of the type of food he is on now or maybe because he is older now :confused1: sorry not much help we always have food out so only get nagged off Louie when he wants his mc dry kibble :rolleyes: oh & Scutter as he is on prescription food he is a real nag bit like groundhog day here every morning :rolleyes: :D

7. mlynnc

mlynnc PetForums Senior

Thanks for your help everyone!!!

To answer the common questions...

Enzo will be 1 year old on Thursday. He is a Maine Coon. He weighs about 5kg at the moment. He is fed about 400-500g a day. He is not over or under weight...

I think my feeding times are fine - I really don't have a choice anyways, I'm a full time worker!! :frown:

I think it might be a good idea to mix a bit of raw in with his supper, thanks :) We still have some heart left over from our last Food4Cats delivery.

Enzo gets LOADS of attention, he is unbelievably spoiled with love!!! :001_wub: Lots and lots of toys, lots and lots of cuddles! His begging is PURELY in the kitchen, sitting where his bowl is and looking up at you with a constant meow. Sometimes he will even cry and walk back and forth from the kitchen to the living room if I'm on the sofa. In the morning, cry cry cry and when I get up - straight to his bowl!

If he was thin or looking unhealthy... I think I'd worry. But, he is a very good weight, a sturdy build... I think he is just greedy :rolleyes:

8. The Twins

400 to 500g? A day? Wowser. I know its different for raw but mine get 125g a day. So i def think its greediness, coupled with switching from raw to commercial food. Mine used to always beg for more food whenever i went into the kitchen, they don't now as think they're fuller on raw food but also as they've learn't they don't get anything when begging. Is he up to date on his worming?

9. mlynnc

mlynnc PetForums Senior

He eats on average about 450g a day :eek: 500g if he is being especially vocal about it... he ate about 400g a day when he was raw fed :rolleyes:

He is definitely up to date on the wormer, oops - forgot to answer that question!! :thumbup:

I was speaking to my partner about him and his begging, we're wondering if he is having a growth spurt possibly? Also, he is a very playful, active cat.

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

He ate 400g when he was fed raw? :eek: Do you have a lion?

Mine are 6kg and get 150g each a day!

But 450 - 500 would be about right for Bozita for a cat of that weight, wouldn't it?

Edit - I just checked on the bozita website and they say 570g for a cat weighing 5kg

11. The Twins

My goodness me - 400g a day of raw?!?!?!?!? blimey... what a hungry boy! I'd 150g for a cat that size - max... but as long as he isnt overweight thats fine.

If he was used to that amount raw, i'd def feed him more than 400-500g of commercial food as its waaay less filling.

12. Dally Banjo

I'l try & guage how much Louie is eating he weighed 11lb last sunday :yikes: but is on a grow spurt again :rolleyes: he does like his food but is always up to something :lol:

13. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

My cat is the opposite, since we started feeding him exclusively raw he won't stop crying for food which i don't understand as it's apparently more filling. I'm being cheeky here probobly by asking for advise rather than giving it but why is this? He was previously fed dried food because of a bowel condition and he free fed as the bowl was always topped up. Thanks.

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

How much raw are you feeding him HollyM? And how much does your cat weigh? Ooh, and what are you feeding him because it could be that he is not getting enough fat in his diet, for example

15. Catlover2

Catlover2 PetForums Member

Wow! I feed my 4 500g of raw between them per day! I was overfeeding believing that they are large breeds etc etc but discovered recently that two of them (both the MC crosses) had put on half a kilo in a month. My older MC x used to be almost 8kgs - again I thought he was just a large breed - he is now about 5.5kgs and much healthier.

I think that maybe you have to learn to ignore him a little! lol

16. mlynnc

mlynnc PetForums Senior

He used to eat 400g of raw a day, yep... :eek: He's a fantastic weight, a very healthy little guy!

Louie is 11lbs at 6 months old??? Holy cow, he is a little monster isn't he!! :scared: Enzo is 1 year old tomorrow and weighs 11.5lbs!!!!

17. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Mlynnc did you see my post about Bozita's recommended daily portion for a 5kg cat - 570 g (so almost 1.5 tetrapacks!)

#17 hobbs2004, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  18. Dally Banjo

:eek: I know, but he's nearly 7 months old, he is a grazer though & has access to food all day. Most of his weight could be his thick fur :rolleyes: They are all different though & Enzo always looks fantastic to me :thumbup:

19. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

He is approx 5kgs and he gets between 300-400g a day. I feed him heart, chicken, liver, kidney and bone. I will weigh his food to get more exact measurements for you.

20. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

300 - 400 g of raw a day :eek: Should be more like 140g a day for a cat weighing 5kg and with a normal level of activity (even less if the cat is lazy and slightly more if it's doing walls of death all the time) :D

Is he wormed?

If I remember rightly, you make your own food, right? Without wanting to pry, but what quantities of each are you feeding for each meal? And when you say chicken, do you feed the skin too?

#20 hobbs2004, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice