Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hungry or Bored?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Themis, May 26, 2010.

1. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

So last week I got home from work to find that my Kittens had got up onto the shelf where their anti-furball treats were and had eaten the whole packet!! I blamed myself since I was late home from work and assumed that they had been starving. :frown:

Yesterday I got home at my usual time to find out that they had got up where I keep the bag of Applaws dry. I no longer feed this and there was only about 1 large bowl full still left in the bag. Anyway they had got it down and eaten it and one of them had been sick. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if they are doing these things because they are hungry, or just bored? Or are they just doing it because they can?

They get raw fed about 200g of food a day each spread over 2 meals. They never eat all of their food in one go. They have countlss toys, places to jump up etc etc.

To top it off as I was changing their litter tray last night Poppy squatted down next to me in her toy basket and pee'd :eek6:.

2. Tje

Tje Banned

I promise I didn't laugh out loud when I read this :p (says she who almost has to store her malt paste under lock and key!)

You know... I think as long as you know your cats are well fed and have enough play things (which I am sure they have!!) ... it's neither boredom or hunger. It's just cats being playful, inquisative, resourceful and cheeky.

We did similar things when we were kids with the chocolate biscuits my mum would attempt to hide. Didn't mean we were starved or bored... we just loved choccie biccies and were a bit on the daring side.

Thanks for the laugh, hope you can find a cat-proof storage space :)

3. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

Spartacus knows precisely where her treats are kept - if we leave the cupboard even slightly ajar she'll get in and eat the treats! Even more surprising as the cupboard is above the counter!

I think your kittens are exploring and "discovering where the sweets are kept".

Cheeky buggers!

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I echo the other posts - they are just cheeky and trying their luck getting things they like. I swear there is no such thing as a cat proof place to store treats.

We had to start changing the place we store our treats because they just cotton on and try their hardest and very creative ways to get in there.

Not because they are hungry or bored but because it is fun.

Themis, an aside. You have got two kittens, right? So feeding them as much raw as you do is ok but you may want to think about reducing their daily portion as they grow. Unless they are small lions really!

5. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

Yeah, they are eating slightly more now than the 2-3%. I was told on the rawcat yahoo group not to worry too much about food weights etc while they are still growing. It looks like such a tiny amount when I measured out the 80g or whatever it was that they should be having!

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No quite right! Anything goes with kittens. But once they have grown it will be time to moderate :D

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

hehe cheeky lil rascals!

I know my cats arent hungry but i still darent leave any food out otherwise they will have it (or work in tandem with the dogs, so they can all have it).

I lost a fillet steak last week to the lil sods! they went into the shopping bag and helped themselves while i was unpacking! 5 cats all pulling at 1 steak! Very funny to watch but really annoyed as that was my dinner!

8. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

Yes my two are very excited by shopping bags too! Yesterday I caught Poppy trying to get into a pack of broccoli!

Alos, does anyone else's Cat go wild for lettuce? Whenever I have any she goes mad miaowing at me until I drop a piece for her.

9. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

not lettuce....

but nobody in this house can eat a bag of quavers in peace! :lol::lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice